Author Topic: Devlog update (2012-12-10) Finishing touches  (Read 16822 times)

Offline BukkaS

• Major(1)
  • KO in the heart...Son of an Bukkas!
Re: Devlog update (2012-12-10) Finishing touches
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 05:27:09 am »
I decided to also modify the thrown knife to also inherit the player's velocity, completely changing its range and the how it aims

The knife shouldnt be changed at all,many of us still play knife only with clan wars everyday,so we kinda have our little community and a forum: http://kosoldat.forumer.com/index.php ,so changing the knife velocity,it would change the way people played knife only,and would definitely be weird :/ So I think the idea of knife change isnt a good one,but you really did a good job with everything else,keep up the good work :)
Soldat is an awesome game,KO is the best mode :)

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:03 am »
Can we get a HURRRYY SHOOZZZAAAA :) gj again DEVS great to hear beta is out! Can't wait!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Denacke

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Soldier
  • Cake!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 08:28:01 am »
Good work devs!

Knife change sounds interesting to me. Can't wait to give it a try!

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:57 am »
Maybe you could add it to r/s but in KO, many people have their own knifing/playing styles with the foundation of how the knife is thrown atm, and changing the knife would mean everybody adjusting to a new style.
What's so bad about discovering a new style?
As far as I see it, there's nothing wrong with discovering a new style but think about it, if somebody is extremely good at knifing the way THEY knife, then the knife gets modified so they had to readjust their style, they'd probably try to for a while then quit. They expect to be the best knifer in an instant but when that doesn't happen, they're probably going to quit knifing. I agree with testing it in beta though.

Offline Vos

• Soldier
    • http://kosoldat.forumer.com/index.php
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 11:41:43 am »
I think people should reconsider their answer here really.
For the people in the knife only community it's their one and only weapon being modified, I would absolutely be excited about that.... if I were a gunner that occasionally picks the combat knife as secondary weapon.

But people should move theirself into our position, how would you guys feel when your favourite main weapon whatever weapon that is would be changed (you dont know how it would be changed) and with the meaning that you have to relearn using that weapon which used to be your favourite one.

I'm against this whole idea not because I dislike the idea, the idea is great for the general crowd at soldat but i'm against it because of the fact that this little community might die because of such change
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 05:16:32 pm by Vos »
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Biscuiteer

• Camper
  • Need a Biscuit?
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 01:32:09 pm »
I feel like chiming in here. I understand that it can be difficult to accept your favorite weapon be changed so utterly, but if you think about it, the knife was a bit of an outlier in terms of how the physics affected projectiles. Somewhat recently, soldat has been incorporating more and more physics in terms of ragdolls, projectiles, and now coming up even the weapons themselves. So you could say that the style of soldat is to have a bit more unified physics properties. And then there's the knife, where it almost as seems as if it travels faster and farther if you threw it backwards - or conversely, it seems to travel the slowest and shortest if you were trying to throw it forward, seemingly ignoring your forward momentum. Wouldn't it make more sense to unify the knife physics to go along with your movements? We all know soldat is a mobility-based game, so i feel that the proposed knife change would be a beneficial one - you would simply have to keep aware of your movements to make the best out of your knife, which any good player of soldat should already be doing - instead of having the knife act with its own absurd physics.

I'll go ahead and answer Vos' question up above as well, how would i feel if my favorite weapon or weapons were changed so much that i'd have to relearn them? For me, i'd look beyond myself and see it from a broader perspective - as in all other players. Then i ask myself, is this change going to be for the better? Maybe it would relieve a sort of tense balancing issue where it would have to be remade in order to properly add in other balance points. Or perhaps some other reason, there could be many legitimate ones. In that case, if it does seem to be for the better - no matter how much it would change, and no matter if i were to miss the old weapon (which i would!) - then i would say i'm all for it.

I will end on a note that, i do agree with Loner in that it might be best to have the old knife setting be incorporated to facilitate the change from the old to the new, as we are a pretty small community as is. Just like how we can keep old weapon.ini balances, we should also keep the old knife physics as well.
Un ~ Biscuiteer

Offline BukkaS

• Major(1)
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 07:54:58 pm »

You're not the one to say whether its a good or a bad idea since you do not play knife only nor you know how many years some players played the way it is now. So you dont really realize the situation about changing something which was the same for so many years. 50+ players who play knife only are against this and probably would stop playing if these kind of changes were made. Its like you've been working on something for many years,and some1 just tells you to do it all over again. You shouldnt really be the one saying whats best for the knife.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 10:06:31 pm »
I remember when they added delay on barret... and the game got more dynamic, with more weapon variety
sometimes changes are good. I just wouldn't join with so many other updates
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 05:16:11 am »
You're not the one to say whether its a good or a bad idea since you do not play knife only nor you know how many years some players played the way it is now.

Neither are you to say it. The knife being balanced the way it is affects both the people throwing the knife and the ones getting hit by them. This change wouldn't be performed if we didn't have a decent level of confidence in it improving the overall weapon balance, intuitiveness of the controls and gameplay. So you don't want to relearn aiming; what can be done about that? Well, nothing. Life isn't supposed to be fair. You're going to have to relearn the aim. And if the Knife Only community is a bona fide community who are in it for the fun they're having and the people they're having fun with, and not just a loose collection of people who gathered around a glitchy behavior in one of the weapons, then they'll survive this.

Offline BukkaS

• Major(1)
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 07:27:58 am »
So you would change this even tho most people dont want it to be changed? Brilliant :D And another thing,you would lose many soldat players,is this your goal? Knife change isnt necessary and I dont see any smart reason in changing it,if you want to make it more realistic put it in the realistic mode. I rest my case.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2012, 08:40:58 am »
Change it.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
So you would change this even tho most people dont want it to be changed? Brilliant :D And another thing,you would lose many soldat players,is this your goal? Knife change isnt necessary and I dont see any smart reason in changing it,if you want to make it more realistic put it in the realistic mode. I rest my case.
ppl always resist change its in their nature. and your failure too see the reason is based on ur own desire to resist change.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline AdamD

• Major
  • hi its me your IRC pal dicko
    • i make games sometimes too.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
there isn't enough reason to just completely change the knife. changing things for the sake of changing them is not a very good reason, especially when it's pretty great as it is!

if you want soldat to be more 'realistic', maybe you should go back and read MM's blog about what made soldat fun in the first place:

http://mm.soldat.pl/development-log/triple-a-the-story-of-kag-and-link-dead
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:49:52 am by AdamD »
vam; dicko
vagabonds & miscreants

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
maybe the DAMAGE shouldn't be affected, since it will be almost impossible to kill someone when trying to escape
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 01:08:12 pm »
People have spent years practicing all the weapons in CTF... that does not stop the weapon mod changing every version. Why should the knife be any different?
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 03:54:44 pm »
YES,PLEASE CHANGE THE WEAPON MOD

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »
IMO, changing the knife isn't under the same terms as changes to other weapons. The knife is in its own category because it's not a gun where you can spray or reload. It's a one-time weapon until you pick it up again so ultimately, it's harder to get adjusted to and would also be more frustrating to play with at first.
Guns don't really get exponential changes as the one that's about to be affecting the knife. Most of the time, the gun gets improved but in the case that a gun does get nerfed, its because devs think that the gun is too OP in the previous version. If that's the case, do the devs think that the knife is a OP secondary weapon in Soldat 1.6.3? If the answer is no (which I think it is), I don't see a reason why it should be changed. I'd argue that the change is a nerf rather than an improvement to gameplay.
A suggestion for the KO community who is arguing against the change of the knife: You guys could just play under the weapon mod of 1.6.3 so the knife would still remain the same in your KO servers.

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2012, 08:19:59 pm »
be quiet and wait to see how it goes.

its not like your life is in danger here

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 09:03:53 pm »
i would say that soldat is the life of some players

Offline DutchFlame

• Camper
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 10:52:32 pm »
well be aware that no one crashes your computer then, your life would be at an end.