Author Topic: Is this game dead?  (Read 13745 times)

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
Re: Is this game dead?
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2013, 06:24:02 am »
Im not saying that people on dev team are lazy morons, probably they are very cool guys,
but come on development is as it is, that don't seem to be very active for whatever reason.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2013, 08:58:32 am »
You are pretty unthankful for the team of developers that is dedicated enough to do all this in their free time, without charging money from the community for what they do. Be happy with what we have and stop staring to the stars. There's no answer up there. If you want the pace to increase, become active yourself.

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2013, 12:49:29 pm »
There are tons of software that is writed for free these days, nothing that special about that,
so don't need to bow.

All i said that development wasn't active and nothing major happened, and its true, isn't?
I would be interested why is that, people have no time?, its furstrating job?
Did that money what soldat makes(did?) reached devs?
There wheres some donations, did only Shoozza get it or all of them?

There is other options like, opensource, start make donations and demand features, find someone else..,

DarkCrusade, seeing that game is well and alive wouldn't be dreaming? Better luck in thous stars then.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2013, 02:22:16 pm »
I am not denying that there could have been more progress, but you have to differentiate between mere software and video games. I have yet to see a free online game with no cash-shop of some sort. I respect your opinion, but see no reason to call this game dead if it has enough people caring for it to have a discussion going on whether it is dead or not.

You can have 1,000 awesome suggestions to increase the pace at which progress is made, but if you don't voice them, they are worthless. Now we get to talk.

There is other options like, opensource, start make donations and demand features, find someone else..,

Opensourcing Soldat has been discussed a million times by now. If you want to get into this topic, check this topic: link. The community demanded even more than a million features already, but they cannot add another 1,000 lines of new code when there are 10,000 lines of bugged code or code that needs to be refactored first.

To put it in a nutshell: I agree that more progress would have been nice, but you are being too harsh in your judgement of the developer team, and should be thankful that they are dedicated enough to do this for free. Lower your standards. It's not normal that they sacrifice their free time to develop a game they do not own rights of and manage the community. 

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:32 pm »
All i said that development wasn't active and nothing major happened, and its true, isn't?
Well, i've introduced ScriptCore3. Whenever it's a major change or not is, of course, up to you to decide. As for me it was a huge task to perform. Let's hope it'll be worth the effort.

I would be interested why is that, people have no time?, its furstrating job?
No time yes, most if not all of us (devs) have jobs, i have job + school on weekends (not now however, holidays), so no much time left for soldat.
Also as a programmer yourself, i think you know that this work can be frustrating sometimes regardless of the circumstances. It's even more here, as soldat is a very poorly written code, so "funny exceptions" happen rather often.

Did that money what soldat makes(did?) reached devs?
Registration payments were all going to MM himself afaik if that's what you're asking.

There wheres some donations, did only Shoozza get it or all of them?
I didn't receive anything, at least not for my dev work. I'm not saying i should though, i've never stated that i'm developing soldat for money, so i don't expect any in reward.
AFAIK Shoozza is recieveing.... cookies from MM yearly. Whenever he gains some money is unknown to me.

I'd personally go for opensource, the only con here is that cheaters would have an easier work but let's face it, it can't get much worse as it is now.
Honestly i have no idea what's stoping the code from being opensourced, my hunch is telling me that it's Shoozza standing in between with his bureaucratic attitude, not MM.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 02:41:55 pm by FalconPL »
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2013, 02:30:54 pm »
Well, there was the 16:9 patch and key for flag throw... the rest hasn't been very useful. The scriptcore seems mostly useless, nobody uses it, except for zombie servers...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
@ginn: I am using it to its fullest extent. You may not know much about scripting, but it's huge. I am able to get the job done much better than before, with less effort, better structure and what-not. Its worth will be visable once a few scripters adapted it and release new content. I, for one, am working on a huge gamemode.

@Falcon: I read something about commercial coding-related stuff in Soldat that would need to be removed in order for Soldat to be ready for open-source without lawyers knocking at MM's door. I cannot recall which thread it was in, though. Most likely, Shoozza will have a better answer to that anyway.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2013, 02:49:44 pm »
He could remove commercial related stuff and release without. With a list of what's required and where to put it to make things work of course so that people can "acquire" that commercial code in their own... ways.
Also i'm curious how new scriptcore makes your life easier already as it's not yet documented.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2013, 02:53:09 pm »
My earlier scripting projects for RPG-based servers all failed, because the scripts were so clustered with functions that I simply lost the overview. With the addition of units, I am able to categorize functions and have a cleaner core.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:59 am »
There are reasons why soldat is not opensource - yet.

One reason is the autoupdater, which isn't opensource.
The another is the missing anticheat in the current versions (it would be closed source and optional).
Also MM wants/might want to use the release of soldat as opensource for some game advertisement.
Then you people want soldat to be available on steam and I'm not sure if that would work out if the game is already open source.

The current plan is to port soldat to linux, osx and release it in the humblebundle with the sourcecode and get enough support to make it through greenlight.

With the next release the server will already run on linux, osx and windows.
There are also plans to move away from SVN to a DVCS like Mercurial or Git this would make it easier to get patches from other people (if for example soldat had a mirror on Github, Bitbucket, Sourceforge, Google Code etc).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:33:20 am by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2013, 06:36:33 am »
@DarkCrusade
Well i could agree that game nor development you can call dead,
its so important that i use word "dead"?
I wanted to make point more about future.

I see that servers are getting closed and people leave,
game whit poor performances, expecting Steam launch that i cant see happen, then seeing some people that rate all dev job as great always,
is kinda annoying.

Well, i've introduced ScriptCore3. Whenever it's a major change or not is, of course, up to you to decide. As for me it was a huge task to perform. Let's hope it'll be worth the effort.
I can appreciated that, i was over-dramatizing.
Dont get impression that i think i would do better.

@Shoozza
You can remove autoupdater and librarys, opensource code that dosnt work, it
doesnt matter.

Steam and linux/osx port feels so distant. When you see that happen?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2013, 08:31:05 am »
Idea: Make a link to soldat's facebook page in the exit tab. There are allready links to official homepage and forums so why not?
Number of current likes: 6059
https://www.facebook.com/soldat2d?fref=ts
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:40:57 am by homerofgods »

Offline JotEmI

• Soldier
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2013, 08:35:12 am »
Just my 2 cents:
Due to lack of time I nearly stopped playing Soldat myself but recently I've been discussing this issue with couple of players from polish community. We all agreed that what Soldat needs the most right now, aside from obvious bug fixes, are new and better graphics. There are already mods and maps on this forum showing that you don't even need to change anything in the rendering code to make Soldat look a lot better. It'd be great if all the default maps and sprites were replaced by newer, better versions. Of course working anti-cheat would also be nice.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 05:12:07 pm »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Legolas

• Major(1)
  • I want a Kookie!
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2013, 05:16:15 am »
Wow,I haven't been around for about 3-4 years and back then this game was so fun. Sad to see it started to die out :( But yea,other games are more attractive to players these days and I never saw any advertisement except when I first played in 2007 or whatever lol. Whatever,we all grow up,let it gooooo~
woot!