Author Topic: New to mapping - Gimme some tips!  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Break

• Major(1)
New to mapping - Gimme some tips!
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:03:52 am »
Recently came back to Soldat after about 5 years in the wilderness and noticed everyone is still playing the same maps, so I thought i'd download Polyworks and see what I could come up with.

Didn't really put much planning into these, just sorta started with an vague idea and it morphed into something completely different, would be much appreciated if you could try these out - tell me what works and whats shit. Constructive/deconstructive criticism welcome :)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 05:09:31 am by Break »

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: New to mapping - Gimme some tips!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 11:44:25 am »
Welcome to the forums! I like your maps and you use the default style, which I think is great hehe.
In both maps I thought that there are some scenerys that are set to back when should be middle (most often example is grass). Some that are really important to be set to middle are the ones that have colliders with it. To help you to fix that, in Polyworks you can click in View -> Show Scenery Layers
Man both of your maps are all white polys, guess the multitexture soften that, but you really should start practicing coloring/shading your polys

about Guerrilla:
It's nice you you used basic multitexture skills and made a nice effect.
Although you did some overlapping, the flag areas are really buggy. You should bury the edges of each poly deeper on the ground, that way they will be away from the soldier.
There are some parts in the border of the map that are not right. The place of the scenery in PW are not an exact match of what appears on soldat, you for this border stuff you can leave a margin (overlap a little). I gave only 2 examples on the attachements, there are other
Finally: wtf are those OPC (only players collide) polys under the watch towers? remove them plz

about Slog:
this seems very good gameplay-wise. Seriously, you have something here :)
The thing that I felt wrong on this map was the speed of light middle route. It's too direct, the map will become grab 'n cap. I would close the house (see attachment).
Don't put a spawn together with the flag, because it makes a messy flag area with lots of spawnkilling. Put that one together with the other, or in the roof of the spawnplace.
Some minor details:
the death pit really need some reddish coloring. I saw you putted some barbwire there, but it's not enough. RED!
In this map the lack of shading was more visible. You should practice that

Good job! keep mapping
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 11:48:40 am by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Break

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 01:33:52 pm »
Wasn't expecting such a detailed response  8)

I made these with a very basic knowledge of the program so expected there to be alot of stuff to be pointed out - I couldn't work out how to colour/shade polys, not sure if i've been using old version of the software or something but it didn't seem to work for me, i'm probably being a massive noob - will find a tutorial and sort it out later.

Will fix the buggy flag areas out and the OPCs are on the watchtowers cause the player kept spazzing out and bouncing around when jumping up there - will figure out a better solution.
Was thinking it would be better to close off the house in Slog like you said, is probably a bit too easy and rushable on the top part of the map.

Thanks for the pointers man, will heed your advice  :)

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 05:00:46 pm »
The latest version of PW you can find here.
It's been a while since I want to do an English video tutorial, maybe now it's the time
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade