Author Topic: Devlog update (2013-05-12) New facts about the bug, VM Setup, Unit testing  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hello everyone!

This week I updated my VM (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS x86) and did couple of tests with soldatserver and soldat.
After I figured out how to join the soldatserver inside my VM I noticed that the flag and weapon bug didn't occur on my VM.
Since I'm behind a firewall I cannot test if this is because I play via LAN or because there are no other players or whatever else is the reason.

So testing for isn't easy on my side.
As Falcon works mainly on Linux and hosts the nightly build server which has this bug I asked him if he could try to fix it for me.
He told me that he would work on this bug once he finished some scripting related work.

I hope he will find the time to work on this the next week.
I'll probably setup some testing stuff too.
I tried some remote debugging with Lazarus before to find out why FreeBSD had issues with Lazarus, but failed to get it to work as the documentation is not complete.
If I find the time I might try it again.

Besides setting up my VM I was looking into unit test frameworks for Lazarus and Delphi.
The good news is that there are testing frameworks which are very similar and can be used in both Lazarus and Delphi with minor changes.

The idea is to write automated tests for Soldat so we don't need to manually test everything.
The main advantage however is that once we restructure the code so that it is testable it will be less painful to work with.
It's a long long way till we are there but I want to try it ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Go go go! I wish I had time and skills to help you with code refactoring. I'd love to help. But I guess it won't happen...
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

DarkCrusade

Debugging can be a bitch, I know that. I hope that the people who run servers where the bug occurs will give you access so you can kill it with fire.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
it seems like the devlogs are really back, thank you shoozza for all the hard work!
good luck with the middle flag bug
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Arrow/Freeman

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
*hurra hurra*

Keep it up guys! :)