Author Topic: Reviving the good ol' !KY ZombieSurvival  (Read 1480 times)

DarkCrusade

Reviving the good ol' !KY ZombieSurvival
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:47 pm »
What is ZombieSurvival?:

Zombie Survival is a team deathmatch based gamemode with a mixture of player versus player and player versus environment battle. A team of humans has to fend off waves of zombies which increase in size over time and have to survive until the round ends. If they die from a zombie's hands (or whatever weapon they might be carrying), the infection starts to spread in their bodies and will eventually turn them into zombies themselves if no cure is found.

As a human player, all primary weapons are disabled by default. However, these weapons can be acquired from a shop to enable them until the weapon is lost in combat. The more you die, the higher the chance to lose a weapon!

Additionally, players can increase their fighting capacities by gaining levels to increase one of their basic stats, which are strength, stamina, dexterity and intelligence (in game referred to as STR, STA, DEX and INT). However, you only gain experience for the team you play at the moment, meaning that you cannot level your zombie by being on the human team and vice versa. You can choose to be a playerkiller, and you can choose to be a zombie-farmer, or a mixture of both. The possibilities for building your character are enormous already, and will be extended by quite a bit in the future.

What else is important to mention? Players need not care to create an account, as the server will create accounts automatically and bind them to the player's hardware ID, meaning that they log in and log out without needing to type a command, simply by joining the server. The idea for having this kind of account handling is deduced from the increasing amount of players who do not bother with learning how to use a command and prefer to just jump into a match and whack some heads. A system of automatic stat points assignment is in planning phase already to not let them fall behind players who do bother with reading the manual.

-

Current script status:

Around 3000 lines of code are down and working (mostly). Right now, my job and education really eat my time, and I ceased all my online gaming activities to focus on what really matters in my life. I am quite successful right now, and I want to keep the pace high and maybe return to the scripting scene at a moment where I am settled in life and have an anchor, because right now, it would be too much of a risk for me. As I have stated in one of the later posts, I will hand the development of this script to someone who is interested in this gamemode and who wants to see it live as much as I want to.

-

Current zombie classes:

Please note: players can play all of these classes with innate abilities and specialities, so if you decide to play Exploder, your health is increased by the difference between the Exploder's health and the normal Zombie's health, giving you another 50 health on top of the health that you may have gotten from putting points into stamina. However, all zombie classes have a minimum level required for players to be able to choose them.

Zombie: 150 health + chainsaw. The John Doe of the zombie world. This is the most common species amongst the brain-eaters.
MinLevel: 1.

Mana Zombie: 250 health + fists. Deals no damage, but drains mana from players. Little reward in killing this one to balance the low damage and emphasizing the utility of making players unable to cast spells until they get the mana back by killing the zombie. MinLevel: 3.

Infected Soldier: 200 health + USSOCOM. It's hard to outgrow a habit, even if your flesh is rotting and your brain is but a mere puddle. This guy's hobby was shooting people, and he continues to do so.
MinLevel: 5.

Crusher: 500 health + fists. Deals significant damage while standing his man versus all kinds of guns. Hard to kill, and especially when he's getting near enough for CQC.
MinLevel: 8.

Exploder: 200 health + chainsaw. Some call him Steve, but most just clench in fear and scream his name in agony when he literally drops the bomb.
MinLevel: 10.

Assassin: 300 health + chainsaw. A creepy fellow. Likes to sneak up on targets in stealth and rip their organs apart.
MinLevel: 30.

Demon: 600 health + flamer. Some zombies just want to see the world burn.. this is one of them.
MinLevel: 25.

Bladeling: 300 health + knives. A ranged zombie with immense damage output and great aim.
MinLevel: 20.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 06:28:22 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline skrX

• Soldier
  • x ye.
Re: Reviving the good ol' !KY ZombieSurvival
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 09:42:57 am »
gj  :) :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 11:06:20 am by skrX »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 04:26:41 am »
New description in the first post.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »
I know that most do not care about my "little" project here, but I have an announcement: I will cease all my online gaming activities in favour of my job / education, because I've made a big step there and do not want to mess up anything in the next 2 years. I will hand the development to anyone who thinks he is capable of handling my script. There are explanations, proper indentations, a configuration file, adjustable settings and what-not. It should be easy to pick up for anyone with routine, and it is a really promising and unique project. I would be happy if anyone could take over, because I have no time I could invest to finish it. If you have any questions, I am not gone entirely from the internet and will probably check here daily to see if anything's going on, but, as I said, I will not work on this mod anymore. PM me for the files and more information if necessary!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 08:57:09 pm »
Gratulations on the job thing :) Go for it DarkCrusade!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:43:46 am »
@homerofgods: Thank you! :)

Btw: I just decided to simply put a download link up for anyone caring to see what I already have.

'Config.ini' is a settings file for the soldatserver, while 'Settings.ini' includes most constants that are used in game. All options are explained in the file's header, so do not worry to lose your head there. There are explanations to functions and what the code does in the main script ('Core.pas') and in most units. It should be easy to get into this.

Kudos to anyone who takes over the development!

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 07:16:52 am »
There are few bugs i'd like to point out:
- in search paths you have units folder lowercased. This is not cross platform and won't work for unix based systems.
- Settings.ini should be moved to data folder that has been created for you. All data that script requires to work should be placed there, placing on root level will cause script to recompile each time you modify that file (that's why there's data folder for such stuff)
- you didn't fill in any interface unit section. While this is *cough* allowed *cough* because there's a bug in pascal script's implementation, you should not be abusing it. Who knows, maybe they or me will fix it one day and then your script will stop working. Please use interface as it's supposed to be used.

Other than that your script's settings from config.ini are rather loose (for instance dll support is enabled which you don't seem to be using). While i'm not sure how many features you require please keep in mind that you should always constrain your config.ini as much as you can.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »
Thanks for this useful information! I am looking forward to the complete documentation of SC3, as I created the script with almost no knowledge of all the new features.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 05:45:15 pm »
Yes, i've noticed. For instance proper ini file support has been added which you've provided yourself ::). Docs'll come, sooner or later.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 06:14:16 pm »
The ini file support was written by perroAzul I think. I just changed the code to my liking :P I already offered you my help for the documentation, but you did not reply to that. I am not using IRC, so if you still need help, drop me a PM on here so we can get some shit done here ;)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are a few bugs in the core script that I have not fixed yet. I will try to be as much of a help with the fixing. I just do not want to see all my efforts vanish in an instant because of my decision.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 10:53:46 pm by DarkCrusade »

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 04:26:14 am »
I did reply you
If you're interested in helping PM me, preferbly on IRC.
- Andrew Lewis

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 03:53:51 pm »
Message's been sent. I do not use IRC, so either we will have to do all the communication via this forum or mail. ;)