Author Topic: water polys?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline 9host

• Major(1)
  • my trains of thought derail and run through shit
water polys?
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:48 am »
would ne1 be interested in developing water polygons?

water is a universal element in soldat mapping, but it's always been represented by halfhearted scenery or translucent blue non-collides. it feels as though water is but a scenic convenience rather than an earthbound consideration, when it doesn't need to be so and has the potential to be a much more worthwhile experience.

i recommend a polygon with altered game physics, which would mimic the feeling of being captured and swimming in water. a low gravity environment and the ability to tap repeatedly wasd controls to swim (like a slow-motion airman hack) would do it.

in essence, mapmaking could expand to control the underwater territories, as well as plot rivers and puddles and lakes and runoff (for pluviose maps). a favorite memory comes to mind: imagine trying to run a wet hill, like you would when racing your childhood friends:
a ctf player may envision a turret or a flag atop the hill, a powerful strategic addition to any map indeed; an hns player would consider it a dream come true or his/her worst nightmare, depending on the direction of momentum; a climb player alone would invent a hundred creative applications for it; every game mode would grow and blossom from its implementation; and the soldat community would cry genuine tears of joy instead of depressing about the imminent conclusion of soldat life :c

however, we must consider the game mechanics. polygon types r determined by their edges, and all player interactions with polygons occur along the edges. thus far no exceptions exist to this rule: the insides of polygons haven't been explored, not unlike the mysterious oceans themselves. if a polygon were engineered so that players bypass their edges and interact primarily with the body of the poly, i should believe it would be possible to develop and realize the ambition.

please encourage or discourage the thought as you please. we soldats r grateful for your every consideration.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:52:13 pm by Bonecrusher »
boo!

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: water polys?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:38:29 am »
I think this should be in the Game improovements/Suggestion area.
The concept is nice, the inside of a poly should get explored.
I remember that a similar polytype was suggested long ago to regen Jets when you were inside it, so you could create "airways".
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:01:35 am »
First, thanks for taking the time to write this.

While I like the idea I can tell you that this isn't an option at the moment. Only after the code gets cleaned up we could consider implementing advanced features like this.
Water polys would currently require us to touch a lot of different places in the code with a high risk of adding bugs.

From the gameplay side it would change a lot of things so that has to be considered as well.
Waterfalls will push you down?
Water flowing down a slope will make you slide?
Bullets will move slower in water?
Drowning possible?
Shooting at water/lake will make water splash and enemies would move slower/see less?
Totally different movement system when in water?
Water fountains/cannons?
Jets wont work in water/will stop working for some time after you left it/work again after a few jumps?
Rain would have some effect on your movement?

There is a lot of stuff that has to be thought through...
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:19:04 pm »
Fryer was reading this the other day. http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/fluid-simulation-for-video-games-part-1/

Might be helpful if someday you try to implement water in Soldat.

btw hi Boo.

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 05:37:20 pm »
as of now, the water poly described seems to be a far-fetched idea as seeing how the devs still have to cleanup some area's of the main code instead of implementing new one. in my opinion, if water poly's were available for mapmakers to add, it would enhance gameplay significantly, making soldat an even more versatile game. basically everybody would be starting over again because the idea of underwater maps would take a while to get used to. i don't know if the devs have the motivation to create this new feature, as the community is decreasing by day and there's no form of advertisements attracting the rest of the world to this game with the exception of people who've played/play it.
on the other hand, this may be the change that soldat needs to become popular again.

I think this should be in the Game improovements/Suggestion area.
The concept is nice, the inside of a poly should get explored.
I remember that a similar polytype was suggested long ago to regen Jets when you were inside it, so you could create "airways".

same with this idea. @As de Espada: is this possible at all?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 04:41:27 am »
It would be a dream come true to get advanced water in soldat. Beautiful games tend to have beautiful water.

Offline 9host

• Major(1)
  • my trains of thought derail and run through shit
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 07:28:30 am »
Beautiful games tend to have beautiful water.

soldat's already a beautiful game in its own ways, but i'm 1 to uphold that notion. water seems to be the element most complex to describe with any artistic medium, whether it be paintings or writings or coding, because it's essentially amorphous. that's wut makes it so elegant as a being, as well as so appropriate for a game as free-form as soldat.

nonetheless, shoozza, yes, you get my drift! all life begins with water; water mechanics would be very refreshing for soldat's gameplay. to commiserate with bullet, i sympathize with and understand the considerations of developers: it'd be reckless to give immediate focus to the idea. the sentiment but streamed into my consciousness yesterday, and i wished to share.

haste, thank you kindly for the article... i'll cherish it, and i'll drool on it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:31:14 am by 9host »
boo!

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:59:45 pm »
Hello,

For your information,
Fryer is working on a brand new "Liquid" Polygon type for a future Soldat release.

It will provide tools for map makers to create: water, boosters, wind, quicksand, etc.

Added to the tracker: http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=437

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:07:48 am by Bistoufly »

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 02:23:01 pm »
wow! with the "buoyancy" you can choose the direction of the push, making it much more versatile, for creating wind, and etc, even one way polies if you set the maximum push hehe
that would be delightful!
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade