Author Topic: ctf_Pyramid [1.6.7]  (Read 7994 times)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Re: ctf_Pyramid [1.6.7]
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 04:24:13 pm »
nosejj,
thanks for the feedback
Wow! Great design
Akinaro is the engine behind all of that!
• Overall I think the map should be a tad smaller to make it more fitting to the competative gaming style.
Yes, that's true. The map was size was involved with the 1.6.6 version and I didn't want to make it too easy to boost the flag from Base A to Base B, which wouldn't work the way it did in 1.6.6 anyway, since the flag boosting was reduced massively.
• Trying to roll backwards to hop above the stone (near the flag) gets u stuck in the upper area of the stone.
I will add that to my bug list, thanks!
• I would definietely consider opening the low route and add some interesting polys there to not make it as straight forward. Maybe narrowing it down could be good.
Yes, that's already on our to-do list, also the map doesn't have any colliders yet.
• Same with the center area, make it open to fall to low route (the map has to be smaller in order to fit 3v3 imo).
I don't really know what you mean by that. In my opinion the center / low / mid area is the highlight of the map since the player who uses this route has so many opportunities and can do quite a lot there. Maybe you can add a screenshot with an edit.
• If the map would get smaller, then I'd suggest lowering the jetpack's amount a little, it's pretty high even atm.
Depending on how the flag boosting will be in 1.6.7, I / we will consider to make the map smaller, to guarantee a good chance of boosting the flag
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2014, 02:53:25 am »
I think about reducing the map size by 20% (especially the lower route is quite long, but also the pyramid itself is quite big and since the flag boosting was reduced a lot it's pretty hard to throw the flag over it)

By the way:

I accidently used an old screenshot.

Viral, you're the best mapper we ever had by far in the terms of visuals.
As a member of the map team, I am interested at seeing remakes from you. Soldat default maps need a good visual overhaul for sure.

Sorry Bistoufly, but I don't think anyone can beat Akinaro  in terms of visuals! (and he is working on like 10 maps at the same time. I'm scared of the look he might create if he would focus on one project) Viral is still a great mapper though!!

Hope I find some time to make some changes to the map though!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 02:59:13 am by darDar »

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:47 am »

Viral, you're the best mapper we ever had by far in the terms of visuals.
As a member of the map team, I am interested at seeing remakes from you. Soldat default maps need a good visual overhaul for sure.

Sorry Bistoufly, but I don't think anyone can beat Akinaro  in terms of visuals! (and he is working on like 10 maps at the same time. I'm scared of the look he might create if he would focus on one project) Viral is still a great mapper though!!

Well that's like your opinion, man.

For me Viral is way better. Viral's style is more minimal. He focus on perfect colors, shapes and proportions. And if you see his climb maps, you'll see he is also extremely creative in his designs.
Akarino on the other hand focus on using lots of custom lighting, backgrounds, complex texturing. Maybe that's what you like about his maps. But for me that doesn't cut it.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2014, 03:35:38 am »
I have different style and viral have different, he always stick to "rugged" style of visible polygons, so he use almost classic polygons map, looooots of old players like that, even i like some maps like that.

I work in different way, im playing with maps i like more realistic look, with deep shadows, good contrast and more than half of main sceneries are made in gimp and then edited with pw.
And for example my last ctf_bridge is almost totally made in gimp: i draw all map using thie program and then put mountain as a texture and rest as a sceneries. I love this style ist way simpler than playing with classic multitextures. And yes dunno why i work in 3-4 maps per week xD i have almost 70 maps in my folder that are almost finnished :P

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2014, 03:40:44 am »
I have different style and viral have different, he always stick to "rugged" style of visible polygons, so he use almost classic polygons map, looooots of old players like that, even i like some maps like that.

I work in different way, im playing with maps i like more realistic look, with deep shadows, good contrast and more than half of main sceneries are made in gimp and then edited with pw.
And for example my last ctf_bridge is almost totally made in gimp: i draw all map using thie program and then put mountain as a texture and rest as a sceneries. I love this style ist way simpler than playing with classic multitextures. And yes dunno why i work in 3-4 maps per week xD i have almost 70 maps in my folder that are almost finnished :P
Yeah you have your own style. And that's good. I like that you experiment with new things. Using gimp for custom texturing and scenery. I think there is a lot of potential there.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2014, 05:33:55 am »
Some notes:
As upper path is huge, I would play this map I would play a equinox/viet kind of tactic, one reliable defender and two boosting m79/auto attackers going top, I probably wouldn't go low at all except maybe when I grabbed the flag and even then I would prefer to boost up top as how flat the lower path is(spawner picks barret and shoots efc).
To make lower path somewhat useful perhaps set the pillars to middle for hiding as well as maybe make them obc.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2014, 04:13:23 am »
Some notes:
As upper path is huge, I would play this map I would play a equinox/viet kind of tactic, one reliable defender and two boosting m79/auto attackers going top, I probably wouldn't go low at all except maybe when I grabbed the flag and even then I would prefer to boost up top as how flat the lower path is(spawner picks barret and shoots efc).
To make lower path somewhat useful perhaps set the pillars to middle for hiding as well as maybe make them obc.
Yes, the map is supposed to be played like that - Boosting like on Equinox , rotating like on Viet (3 ups or 2 ups 1 low) + the boosting / defending ctf_Kampf has.
About the low part:
That's true , the lower route was not really touched yet and it's really easy to get sniped there. I want to make the whole map smaller (especially the lower route is pretty large and the height is too large)
If someone reached the middle of the lower part he has a good position to make some good plays!

The only thing holding me down to make changes on the map is that they will look completely different to the current state since I have no idea how Akinaro is doing the visuals.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2014, 04:59:49 am »
think about it as a spider that walk on your head, and you have only hammer in hand, you need bang it multiple time to kill him and watch out to not lose consciousness :]

So bang him really hard before you lost your ideas. Im working right now on few maps, and I need to fix Wretch remake that I upload yesterday, and AGAIN I need to change textures on B2b because I dont like snow style of it so I can't help you too much :]