Author Topic: CTF Catch  (Read 4164 times)

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
CTF Catch
« on: July 31, 2013, 11:20:07 am »
CTF_Catch
By Zakath

Fast mashup of an idea with flag collider polys

(^Click To Get Hard^)

Screenshots:

Download / Rate on TMS

See more maps by Zakath

Hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
Re: CTF Catch
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:33:18 pm »
interesting concept. you should make a visual difference between the only flagger collide poly and the OPC polys
I think this map will be hard to cap because the flag place has only one entrance that can be shot from everywhere, and you buried the flags, so you cannot shoot them out :(
nice use of bouncy polys near the spawns to make players use the upper route

also, I noticed you can throw the flag back to your spawnplace and be a protected flagger

will you reactivate #soldat.mapping?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 09:35:29 pm by As de Espada »
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 03:16:43 am »
interesting concept. you should make a visual difference between the only flagger collide poly and the OPC polys
I think this map will be hard to cap because the flag place has only one entrance that can be shot from everywhere, and you buried the flags, so you cannot shoot them out :(
nice use of bouncy polys near the spawns to make players use the upper route

also, I noticed you can throw the flag back to your spawnplace and be a protected flagger

will you reactivate #soldat.mapping?
well the entry to the flagplace is marked courtesy of your signflag.bmp from crucifix and now I have marked the other two as well.
And the whole idea is that you need to work as a team to get the flag both out from their base and into your own. So yes I dont expect many caps.
on the throw back to spawn Its a miss in logic from my side didnt think about that you could throw it to another player just that you could throw it back to bouncy part of the map, anyways fixed that.

Mapping is up and running if the bot ever is down just hilight me and I fix that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 05:44:28 am by zakath »

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 03:10:21 pm »
hope we can test this soon :D
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 02:00:13 pm »
Functional

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »
Modified the base layout
And reverted them to the original "catch" theme.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:01:36 am »
Good stuff!

Added to the map-pool of #Realistic Public and Gather servers!

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:01:05 am »
Modified it to use new bg/bgtrans polys to make proper protected spawns

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 05:21:19 am »
I like the fact that it requires a lot of teamplay to get along here but I am not a fan of dark backgrounds since it's hard to see enemies (depending on their skin) and it's also a pain to play a dark map when sun light is shining onto your screen. You could always force the bg color though but many ppl. are not aware of it.

About the flag throwing:

the only way it would make sense to throw the flag to is the upper route since you can't really throw it far enough to the lower route (it's quite near to the spawn point) I don't think that you have a real chance to make a cap through there (unless someone is waiting just in the right time)
You can't really make a far throw on the upper route as well but it's much harder for the enemies to get there.
I'm not sure since it's always hard to judge on a map when playing alone but I think it might be a bit too hard to cap here!

Like the fact that the flag is "locked"!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 05:24:38 am by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 05:25:31 am »
I like the fact that it requires a lot of teamplay to get along here but I am not a fan of dark backgrounds since it's hard to see enemies (depending on their skin) and it's also a pain to play a dark map when sun light is shining onto your screen. You could always force the bg color though but many ppl. are not aware of it.

About the flag throwing:

the only way it would make sense to throw the flag to is the upper route since you can't really throw it far enough to the lower route (it's quite near to the spawn point) I don't think that you have a real chance to make a cap through there (unless someone is waiting just in the right time)
You can't really make a far throw on the upper route as well but it's much harder for the enemies to get there.
I'm not sure since it's always hard to judge on a map when playing alone but I think it might be a bit too hard to cap here!
During playtesting we landed around 3-3 caps wise so its a bit like Laos and the whole map is a concept of forced teamplay, you can technically cap yourself but its way to slow. About bg color finding an optimal bg color that suits everyone is futile which is part of why I implemented forced bg color, so in this case I just stuck with the theme.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:33 am »
I remember that I played on this map with some random dudes, it was 2v3 but still is was pretty nice gameplay, especially when your teammate didnt catch flag(low) and you need to throw it up and really fast move there to pick it up by yourself, because your teammate(after spawn) block lower path so you can cap... its damn good map... less chaotic shooting and more tactic, even random players after few min know what to do.

For me it could be one of default map so players would start using their brain instead of finger on mouse :D