Author Topic: Soldat Server Source + Node.JS  (Read 14605 times)

Offline strack

• Major(1)
    • SoldatBR
Re: Soldat Server Source + Node.JS
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »
Oh you want me to build a clone of Soldat? From scratch?
Ok. Sit and wait. I'll not waste my time on that.

So you'd rather we waste our time instead? Rewriting either the client or server in node mostly still constitutes a clone from scratch even with access to the source as you can't use any of it except as reference.
No, don't waste your time, too. Continue where it is. Just bug fixing.
With the original source would not be a waste of time.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 12:56:12 pm »
Ok now that i have time to reply (not really):

Soldat already uses a unhyped programming language, replacing parts of it with javascript will not make much difference as you still need Object Pascal/Delphi to do the real stuff.
For us it really doesn't matter how much opensource support javascript has. If you are really into coding Soldat you will have no issue learning Object Pascal/Delphi.

Besides that I'm not really convinced that using the C++ plugin feature and Node.js is the way to go for the server.
First it will require us to work in yet another language which in addition has a functional/prototype based concept.
A lot of people misunderstood what javascript is because of the similar syntax.

Second javascript is less efficient than Object Pascal/Delphi.
While this might not be such a big issue there is still the question why we should make the server less efficient.

Third it would introduce another level of indirection which would make debugging more complicated (in addition to the problems the language itself adds).

Then there is the issue with installation which will require server hosts work more to get soldatserver up and running (no more unzip, chmod and run).
The update procedure will require some thinking and the hosts will need some way to restrict any access to the js files for their customers.

Since we use Object Pascal/Delphi and not c++ creating a plugin for Node.js isn't that easy. It probably requires C++ and Object Pascal/Delphi code compilation  with some manual linker calls among other conversion steps.
I don't believe the dev environment setup needs to be more complicated.

Over all I think this doesn't sound like a great idea.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 01:13:05 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline strack

• Major(1)
    • SoldatBR
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 01:38:25 pm »
Soldat already uses a unhyped programming language, replacing parts of it with javascript will not make much difference as you still need Object Pascal/Delphi to do the real stuff.
For us it really doesn't matter how much opensource support javascript has. If you are really into coding Soldat you will have no issue learning Object Pascal/Delphi.
The idea of using javascript on the soldatserver project is the same as the Node.JS development
Part of the Node.JS source is written in javascript and that fact made the development Node.JS faster and better.

Besides that I'm not really convinced that using the C++ plugin feature and Node.js is the way to go for the server.
First it will require us to work in yet another language which in addition has a functional/prototype based concept.
Why not? Performance?

While this might not be such a big issue there is still the question why we should make the server less efficient.
Could be a little less effecient but could be better on production and scalability.

Third it would introduce is another level of indirection which would make debugging more complicated (in addition to the problems the language itself adds).

Then there is the issue with installation which will require server hosts work more to get soldatserver up and running (no more unzip, chmod and run).
The update procedure will require some thinking and the hosts will need some way to restrict any access to the js files for their customers.
You could embed Node.JS inside soldatserver's directory. With that you have the same procedure.
I think there's no problem with the update procedure.
Hosts restrictions? Would be much better!
The host would be able to configure each server the way it wanted, with the restriction it wanted.

Since we use Object Pascal/Delphi and not c++ creating a plugin for Node.js isn't that easy. It probably requires C++ and Object Pascal/Delphi code compilation  with some manual linker calls among other conversion steps.
Will continue to need Object Pascal/Delphi?

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 02:08:58 pm »
The idea of using javascript on the soldatserver project is the same as the Node.JS development
Part of the Node.JS source is written in javascript and that fact made the development Node.JS faster and better.

Not really convinced that it would speed up development. Node.js might be a special case here. Soldatserver has also scripting support with pascalscript.
Might be better to use that instead of JavaScript. That would make it look more like the node.js case, don't you think?

Why not? Performance?

Could be a little less effecient but could be better on production and scalability.

Because of the different concepts of the language and the difficulties in debugging and building it. It will be a pain to work with. Node.js uses C++ but we don't.
Also duct-taping that stuff together will be an horrible job.

You could embed Node.JS inside soldatserver's directory. With that you have the same procedure.
I think there's no problem with the update procedure.
Hosts restrictions? Would be much better!
The host would be able to configure each server the way it wanted, with the restriction it wanted.
Sure they could but it requires them to modify the server js code or us to implement the most common solution as each update could break their customization.
My concern was that the js files can be overwritten via ftp and then the customer could do weird stuff.

Will continue to need Object Pascal/Delphi?
Yeah we will have to use Object Pascal/Delphi in the future as the client is written in that language and we want to share code.
Porting anything to another language means more work.

Let's say this is not an option and move on. If we finally manage to make soldat opensource you are free to fork and try your changes (as long as the license allows it ofc but I don't think that will be an issue).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:14:58 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 08:02:50 pm »
NodeJS is available for different purposes. The main goal is creating web sites with push capabilities (thats why it is Javascript).
There is no point rewriting soldat server in NodeJS. It will be just waste of time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 08:06:26 pm by xmRipper »
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 10:22:41 am »
I wish I had seen this topic earlier. It's one of the most unintentionally funny topics I've seen. I hope strack strides against common sense and convention, and makes it big as a Node.JS game developer.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 11:07:31 am »
I think that he take his nick from this guy: http://blogs.adobe.com/strack/about/ [most related to his talk]
and as I scrolled few sites about Node.js, searching keywords (his nick, game development, server etc) but I found just few random talk about soldat and node.js, probably one of this guy is this "strack".

PS I'm not expert or even beginner of programing so dunno what is this exactly, but I found this site:
https://www.npmjs.org/package/gamedig
and Soldat is selected as a supported game.