Author Topic: lot of laggs? 1.6.5  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Rotem

• Major
lot of laggs? 1.6.5
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:52:25 pm »
dont know if its only me or everyone and if its only zabijaka ctf servers or all servers (cuz i play only zabijakas ctf servers) but last version i noticed lot of laggs and ping jumps to all players and delays between explotions and bounce from it and stuff like that that really annoying to play with and it simply looks like laggs. just wanted to know if other players feel it or its only me...?

Offline AdamD

• Major
  • hi its me your IRC pal dicko
    • i make games sometimes too.
Re: lot of laggs? 1.6.5
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 04:35:39 pm »
i get this too, and i believe geoffrey does also. volatile ping spikes when there seems to be a lot of action on screen. it is kind of impossible to play currently
vam; dicko
vagabonds & miscreants

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:52:58 pm »
I've had my ping spiking on pubs and in one cewu I played too but I thought it's only my internet acting up. Wasn't paying much attention to what was going on in the game.

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:01:39 pm »
Maybe slow source code by new changes in the netcode?
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 04:13:45 am »
I found newest version to be much more laggy for me too. Especially when there are a lot of players on the server using auto guns and spas.

Im chill like that

Offline SpankyTank

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »
Has anyone looked into this? I can barely play in a server if there's more than 2 players on my screen, especially if they're using automatics. My FPS drops to like <20. Any ideas developer team?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:43 pm »
Have you tried messing with settings? Windowed/fullscreen. Try turning off deathconsole, there might be a problem with fonts

Offline SpankyTank

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 02:10:26 pm »
In windowed mode if i put it at 75 it lags, but if i put it at 70 it gets more stable, but still jumps a bit (after adjusting things like smooth polygons etc.). I'm not going to disable the death console because I need that. Why does it do that between 70 and 75

Offline Mighty

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 03:23:08 pm »
I'm not going to disable the death console because I need that. Why does it do that between 70 and 75

Just turn it off for a minute and check if it helps a lot? Maybe you should be looking for a font-related solution, that's the purpose. You really can turn it on again soon after  :-X
xFire: macmil        e-mail: macekmil@gmail.com
My scripts: Accuracy Script       Flashbang       Punishments GUID
            CatchMe Gamemod       AntiFake
            CW System             AntiFakeGUID

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 06:54:16 am »
According to zakath, font rendering really sux and uses alot of cpu. If you disable killfeed/death console it might ease the cpu usage and therefor also the problems you are experiencing.
We could make a custom font renderer, but then you would loose stuff like unicode.

It also helps to turn off render smooth polygons, and do not use vsync and fps limiter at the same time.
If you are using a laptop turn on high performance mode.
Try turn on videocompatability and see if that works.
If you have win 7 I'm afraid there will be more fps issues than with xp or vista.

I hope some of this helps and I hope devs are trying to find other solutions to ease the fps issues.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:58:22 am by homerofgods »

Offline SpankyTank

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
turned my lappy on to high performance mode and it fixed it, thanks for the help

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 02:19:35 pm »
My fps problems seem to be gone if I switch to my CPU's integrated graphics (HD4000), I played a whole match without any stuttering. Discrete graphics (GTX660) + W7 = bad. Worth investigating?

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:11 pm »
heh... its funny when after update soldat is more laggy than 3D games xD
lmao so true I can play a 3D game on high settings and have at least 60 fps but in soldat I have to play on low settings and still only get like 30-40 fps

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 08:53:22 am »
Do either of you have morphological filtering enabled?

If you've an ATI graphics card, try going into Catalyst Control Center and ensure that the Morphological Filtering checkbox under Gaming Graphics is not checked. Morphological filtering is a post processing filter that is supposed to help smooth out edges in games. Morphological filtering often considers text to be full of edges, which might be why the appearance of the kill console on your screen is causing your sudden FPS drop.

This would also explain why switching to your integrated graphics card would resolve the issue, especially if it does not support morphological filtering.

If that doesn't work, could you provide a brief summary of your computer specifications?
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 10:42:12 am »
I turned everything off for Soldat in the nVidia control panel but that didn't seem to change anything.

I'm not sure if the iGPU fixed it after all. Played a couple of rounds some days ago and the fps went bad after two rounds. Kind of gave up with Soldat after that, having the display in the iGPU instead of the separate GPU was a huge hassle anyway and it made the performance worse for other applications.

My specs however:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 660
MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX
OS on Samsung 840 Pro, WD RED 1TB as a storage drive. It doesn't matter which drive I choose for the installation

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:42 am »
I turned everything off for Soldat in the nVidia control panel but that didn't seem to change anything.

I'm not sure if the iGPU fixed it after all. Played a couple of rounds some days ago and the fps went bad after two rounds. Kind of gave up with Soldat after that, having the display in the iGPU instead of the separate GPU was a huge hassle anyway and it made the performance worse for other applications.

My specs however:

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 660
MB: Asus P8Z77-V LX
OS on Samsung 840 Pro, WD RED 1TB as a storage drive. It doesn't matter which drive I choose for the installation
soldat only stopped lagging and having fps drop when I rebooted but still it has fps drops and lags sometimes

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 03:05:41 pm »
That's a considerable setup. Let's see if the issue can be resolved by trying a different version of Soldat.

Could you post your average FPS now, along with your lowest and highest peak FPS?

Then, try testing the latest beta candidate and note any differences you experience.

If that doesn't help, try an older version of Soldat.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 03:42:25 pm »
The fps counter doesn't really make sense. I tried all of the three versions, and right now 1.6.5 stuttered even though the fps was 99-105 according to the counter and a stable 100 according to Fraps. On 1.5.0 and 1.6.6rc I had the same fps but it was as smooth as can be. Strangely enough if I started recording with Fraps, my fps went up to 250-300 on all of the versions and even 1.6.5 was smooth.

There is not much logic in my problems. While writing this reply, I started all of the versions again. Both 1.5.0 and 1.6.5 had ~1000 fps while 1.6.6rc1 was 800-950 with the exact same settings and scenario. Sometimes the problems come up instantly, sometimes after five minutes and sometimes I can play some rounds without problems. Also sometimes restarting Soldat helps, sometimes it doesn't. The randomness really makes testing it a lot harder. Also since 1.5.0 and 1.6.6rc1 have no active servers, making a proper comparison between these versions is close to impossible.

Anyway, 1.6.5's fps summed up: sometimes it's 100, some other day/game it may be 350 and sometimes ~1000. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to have any effect on whether the game is running smoothly or stuttering.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 02:37:06 am »
Very weird. Just to rule out the option, could you try disabling your audio devices in the device manager? How many audio devices do you have in your PC? Are you using an integrated sound card or a secondary audio device (such as the HDMI Audio Out on a video card)?

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2013, 09:00:06 am »
Very weird. Just to rule out the option, could you try disabling your audio devices in the device manager? How many audio devices do you have in your PC? Are you using an integrated sound card or a secondary audio device (such as the HDMI Audio Out on a video card)?

I just recently started using an USB DAC (NuForce Icon 2), earlier I was using an integrated Realtek chip. Didn't notice any changes. However now that I disabled my audio devices, the fps goes down to 66. The game is a lot smoother than it is when it's stuttering but not as smooth as it could be.

Here are the results, same results with :
Start with the audio device enabled -> ~100 (sometimes smooth, sometimes laggy) -> disable audio -> ~66 -> end the round and start a new map -> ~66
Audio disabled -> ~66 -> enable -> still ~66 -> pick a new map through the menu -> still ~66
Setting the sound quality to low in Soldat's config -> no effect
Choosing "No sound" in the config -> same as disabling the audio device