Author Topic: lot of laggs? 1.6.5  (Read 9637 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: lot of laggs? 1.6.5
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2013, 10:54:00 am »
I'm very interested in resolving this thanks Lapis Lazuli for asking good questions.
I think I get this issue myself but I'm not sure what the reason is.
Since you confirm that the bug appeared in 1.6.4 I guess I'll have to look into all the changes between the two versions.
Hopefully we can figure out what's causing this without me going though hundreds of commits...
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 11:02:12 am »
I have to point out I've had the FPS issues on W7 since I assembled my computer about half a year ago. I hadn't played Soldat on a computer with W7 before, only on XP. Now that I'm back to my own place (was at dad's for the summer) my ping has been mostly fine.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 12:06:02 pm »
use these settings, maybe it will solve it. Everytime i set my own settings in new releases i've had lags, so i started to copy the settings from my old Soldat (don't remember versions now) and it ran smooth, it helped a couple of other people too. I have no idea which one of these settings actually helps so just try to copy all of it.

[GRAPHICS]
Adapter=1
Color_Depth=32
Refresh_Rate=Default
Dithering=0
Swap_Effect=1
BackBuffers=2
Interface_Status_Alpha=200
Gradient_Background=0
Compatibility=1
Antialiasing=0
Texture_Filter=2
Software=0
Bonus_Colors=1
Max_Particles=258
Bullet_Trails=1
Player_Indicator=1
Sniper_Line=0
Weather=0
Interface=Default
Smooth_Edges=0
Window_Resize=0
Screen_Width=1280
Screen_Height=720
Resize_Filter=2
Gamma=100
MiniMap_Transparency=230
Enable_Animations=0
Render_Background=1
Max_Framerate=70
Fps_Limit=1
High_Resolution_Timer=0
Scale_Interface=0
Map_Background_Color1=clBlack
Map_Background_Color2=clBlack
Force_Background_Color=0
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2013, 01:08:36 pm »
omg xD I cant stop laugh from this thread.

Im really sorry but its epic when on PC that run every game without sweat(stalker, HL2, crysis) but soldat after 1.6.4 update is lagging and few people came here and ask to turn off something in graphic card setting to make it work xD EVEN "disabling your audio devices" xD again sorry but its stronger than me xD if disabling something could work why before no one have that problems?

The troubleshooting process can be somewhat complicated at times. In asking as to whether the people suffering this issue had multiple audio devices, I am attempting to determine whether there's a hardware or software issue we're facing. My suspicion is that there's a low-level issue with how Soldat manages its interrupt requests. In a computer, an interrupt request is a hardware signal sent to the processor that temporarily stops a running program and allows a special program, an interrupt handler, to run instead. Interrupts are used to handle such events as data receipt from a modem or network, or a key press or mouse movement.

In this case, Dusty has noted that disabling the additional (and unused) audio adapter provided a somewhat smoother experience. I imagine there's some difference in how Windows XP and Windows 7 handles their IRQ priorities, and integrated audio devices (especially Realtek Integrated Audio) are typically poorly optimized. They often force themselves into a higher IRQ level then they need, or make requests when they aren't even being used. Typically, your x86 style of PC will have 15 IRQ channels available. Disabling a device that's occupying one of those (especially needlessly) essentially "removes a step" that the system has to go through in the course of a typical processor cycle.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to proceed further without asking Dusty to do some pretty invasive testing on his rig. Mittsu's suggestion is worth a shot.

However, if you're willing to do a bit of dirty work, then I would suggest removing your peripheral audio device and re-enabling the integrated device to see if there are any changes.

Does your video card have an HDMI out? And do you have a monitor or TV with speakers you can hook it up to? Try disabling all of your audio devices and running it through the HDMI out of your video card, and see if the hitches still occur.

Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2013, 01:38:53 pm »
Can't try it with HDMI, I'm lacking the monitor and of course the cable too.

Like I mentioned, I set the DAC up a couple of days ago and had been using the integrated device for the rest of the time. There hasn't been any notable changes since switching.

Mittsu's suggestion doesn't seem to help.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 03:12:25 pm »
Well, it seems like you've reported the issue on Mantis, so all I can really tell you to do at this point is to try changing the settings for your video card, and the usual shpiel about updating your drivers and the like.

I wish I could assist, but hopefully as more users contribute their computer specs to the issue we can determine whether its a hardware issue or some underlying problem in Soldat.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2013, 06:37:21 am »
Can't really play ctf due to massive lags when there are a lot of particles on my screen(auto weapon bullets). I believe this started with the release of 1.6.5

Im chill like that

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2013, 10:35:38 am »
I have/had same problem. My spec:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
RAM: 8gb Win 7 64'
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series
Monitor: SyncMaster P2770H/P2770FH (Digital)

I tested every soldat config, updated my gpu drivers and tried different settings in Catalyst Control Center without fixing the problem. I even tried forcing Vsync and liit fps using other programs than soldat. It seamed that nomather what I did I could not set a stabile 60 fps (same as my monitor), when the fps dropped to 58 I would get stutters.

This was the only thing that helped me:

Righck soldat icon and choose xp compatability mode:
http://i.imgur.com/hvjK5.png [^]
Then mess around with Vsync, Fps limit and high resolution timer. (having only Vsync on and play fullscreen works best for me)

Does this help?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:09:50 am by homerofgods »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 05:23:09 pm »
I've gone through a couple of days without notable lags even though nothing in the system has been changed. Soldat's logic just blows my mind from time to time.

The only thing that might have something to do with this is that I changed the Windows theme to classic but soon after reverted it back. Now I have a custom theme and have no lags even with aero enabled. Disabling it didn't help earlier though.

Offline Flesh420

• Major(1)
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2014, 10:58:04 pm »
I'm running windows 7 and getting lag in single player after a bit.  I've an eight-core and Radeon HD 5xxx series. It seems even with Admin privileges turned on when I go into Soldat's config and turn on AA it will turn off by itself somehow then I get the choppy game-play.  I've tried everything to fix this with no results, and I'm not even sure if AA is causing it or what ... but I should be able to play this game silky smooth.  For about 2 minutes it's nice and smooth then at random times it gets choppy and sluggish for a min then goes away, then repeats randomly.  Catalyst AI is off btw and no program is causing it.

Edit: I can't confirm this totally, but seems to be true: The choppy spurts happen less frequently whilst playing deathmatch.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:12:27 am by Flesh420 »

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2014, 02:06:12 am »
happening since 1.6 for me

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2014, 04:47:13 am »
You tried in 1.6.7 right?

AA= Antialiasing?
Antialiasing doesn't work.

Did you try Righck soldat icon and choose xp compatability mode:
http://i.imgur.com/hvjK5.png ?

Offline Flesh420

• Major(1)
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2014, 01:38:55 pm »
Yea I've tried everything.  I'm not pc illiterate so I tried just about everything before posting on here.  Disable audio devices etc. Etc.   Yep AA= Antialiasing
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:48:47 pm by Flesh420 »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2014, 03:56:26 pm »
Do you play in fullscreen or windowed? any difference between those two?
In my experience, Fullscreen seam to limit fps to 60, while playing in window mode and use fps limit=60 isn't really limiting to 60 but more like 55.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:00:53 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Flesh420

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2014, 04:29:53 pm »
Tried both to no avail.  At first, when I tried windowed, I thought it was fixed but it just took a bit longer for a random choppy outburst.  I've even tried unistalling and reinstalling drives also to no avail.  Like the game is smooth as could be but then for bout 30 seconds it breaks into a choppy outburst, goes away, then comes back for another 30 seconds at random times.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2014, 04:54:10 pm »
Try this together with xp compatability mode

If that doesn't atleast help I don't know
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 05:14:29 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Flesh420

• Major(1)
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:29 pm »
Still no improvement.  Later tonight I'll try the latest 1.5 version and see if I still get the choppy crap.  Thanx for trying to help me :)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:56 pm »
1.5? You know 1.6.7 is out right? :P
The issue is reported in mantis
many of us have it, it started to get annoying/worse after switching to win7, but I think it has allways been there. I've got the issue aswell and I do get laggs in every version, even the super old ones.
The devs say we need to upgrade directX to help the situation, it is a priority among other things and it takes time
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 06:01:39 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Flesh420

• Major(1)
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 06:34:44 pm »
Lol yes, but sometimes downgrading helps.  Cool, now I know It's nothing hardware related on my end.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:07 pm »
Did you install the patch or a full install?
Depending on how large your soldat folder is, the game can get very fps-laggy.
My latest soldat folder was 14.2 GB large (screens, demos, ... )
This made the game very laggy for me and a clean re-install solved a few problems for me.
The best thing to make your game less laggy is to unselect fullscreen and set window size to 90-99.
Sometimes it helps to activate the FPS limiter and play around with the FPS- Limit a bit (set it to 60, 150, 300, 600 and try it out)

Select 640x480
Close all background tasks which might cause fps issues (browser + media tools)
There is also a FPS optimization tool called 'Gamebooster' - It might help if you get lucky.

^
That's why I'm scared of switching to Win7/8 since everything runs super smooth now.
XP forever  [pigtail]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:09:36 pm by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |