Author Topic: Win7 & FPS / switchable graphics  (Read 1669 times)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Win7 & FPS / switchable graphics
« on: July 11, 2013, 02:52:24 am »
Hello,
I usually used to play Soldat with another PC since I don't like playing games with notebooks that much but now I wanted to get my notebook ready for some games.
The notebooks is pretty much better than my PC.
It has
8GB of RAM
4 x 2.3 GHZ CPU
Win7 64Bit
intern Graphic: Intel(R)  HD+ Graphics 3000 (2GB or 1GB not really sure about this)
switchabel graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1024 MB

When I bought this notebook I played Battlefield Bad Comany 2 and it worked brilliant but I have always had problems with Soldat and the FPS here.

I am using WinXP on my PC and I got over 400FPS there and everything is very smooth.
I got ~95-110 FPS on my notebook but It is not smooth enough to play with. I tried everything which is related to the soldat config ( windowed mode, fullscreen, FPS limiter on/off, Vsync,...) This didn't help at all.

I think the problem is caused of the switchable graphics because Win7 won't run the AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1024 MB for an application like "Soldat".
(But Soldat should be working verry good with the onboard graphics as well, shouldn't it ?)
I can't select AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1024 MB in the soldat config either find a way to tell my Drivers to run it when I start Soldat.

So, .. I am looking for a way to boost my FPS now.
I guess it might be good to disable the onboard graphics so that there is just AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1024 MB left but I couldn't find a way to do this in BIOS.
Installing another OS won't happen for Soldat but I got Ubuntu on it as well. I would also switch to Ubuntu if Soldat would run smooth there.
I paid over 800€ back in time (2 years) for this notebook and I would love to get use of the price I paid for it.

(Drivers have been reinstalled & updated)

I would also be ready for a TeamViewer session if nothing helps.
Regards darDar
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 02:56:31 am by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
Re: Win7 & FPS / switchable graphics
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 04:47:25 pm »
Hmm, for all that text you only briefly described your frame rate issue. You say you get ~95-110 FPS,  but that's still not smooth enough? 60 FPS should be relatively smooth. Is the frame rate actually high and then the game freezes for a bit, making it choppy? Describe how it's "not smooth enough."

Also, what FPS do you get in windowed vs fullscreen?

And make sure your notebook isn't in power saving mode. You could also take a look in your Intel/ATI graphic settings to see if there are any dials and knobs you can play around with.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 05:04:02 am »
If I play Soldat with the highes graphic settings I got 60 FPS in the windowed mode same goes for fullscreen.
I disabled Vsync and my FPS rised from 60 to 100.
If I deactivate them all I got like 200-220 FPS.
The framerate seems pretty good and It also looks pretty smooth but on certain moments it is getting choppy, yes.
It's really hard to describe when and how this appears but It does look like Soldat got problems loading the polygons for me.
If I move around I notice that there's something not okey about the FPS.

I play in 854x480 - changing to any other resolution didn't change anything.
I guess recording this with FRAPS or whatever wouldn't be really useful as well since it doesn't really show what I actually see..

While I wrote this I played around a bit with the ATI Settings and I got 600 FPS right now but It still looks the same like before.
I will try to play around in the meanwhile.
Ty for replying

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline paintZoom

• Major
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 08:49:00 am »
i had fps problems with soldat on w7 a while ago
tried diferent settings and stuff but with +100 fps looked just as choppy as 60
then i "fixed" it with Vsync On and the refresh rate set on "high" in the soldat config
and in the ATI stuff also put the Vsync On and other settings.. but mainly the Vsync and the Refresh rate fixed the problem for me
now it runs way more smooth and consistent at just 60-2 fps (Windowed 854 x 480)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 10:20:46 am »
I have pretty much the same problem and it's the one of the biggest reasons that made me stop playing the game almost completely.

Soldat's fps counter tells absolutely nothing. Whether it's 60, 101, 1000 or even INF, the game is still stuttering most of the time. Sometimes, rarely, it's okay but the stuttering might return out of nowhere without anything changing in the environment. None of the suggested tips in previous similar threads have helped in my case, the choppiness stays no matter what. Besides it's really, really silly that one has to try these tricks to fix something that's a problem of the game itself.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel i5 3570k
nVidia GTX 660
8 gigs of ram
Samsung 840 Pro & WD Red, tried installing on both of the drives but no change

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »
So Soldat doesn't run well under Windows 7 ?
Running Soldat from Ubuntu doesn't run for me either for some reason.

gather.soldat.pl

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:50:42 am »
I'm not sure if this will help in any way but maybe limiting Soldat to 1 CPU core (or 2) has some effect.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Vv00t-SN

• Camper
  • I aim to please!
    • fuck you skoskav & everyone else fucking with my profile all the time.
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »
some ideas by Control here:
http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=46012.0

(note: the "run with graphics adapter" option is, of course, only available on notebooks, not on desktop pcs (where any integrated gfx is disabled in favor of a proper gfx card, normally)

either this kid has a lightbulb up his butt, or his colon has a great idea.
Soldat Quote DB: http://qdb.soldatgather.com/