Author Topic: Potential Partnership  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Potential Partnership
« on: September 25, 2013, 10:01:19 pm »
I had enough money to buy two servers, and bits of hardware. It turns out I don't have enough money to start an ISP contract.

If it turns out that way by the end of this month, I'm looking to push out a few deals to kickstart a little cash to make up for any lack of deposit, and might be looking for a "partner". Basically, all the income would go to paying off any input first off, the partnership would end (?),

This isn't likely that I'm bring this to this forums, but I'm bringing it up because I might try dragging one of you into running a little something on the side that be basically take off the burden of learning how to optimize configuring voice servers (for now!). I would charge a small fee to host voice servers, and that person would get any income from that (as that's not what would cover ISP cost), it's simply convenience cost.

If the thread gets approval over at Terraria Online, I'll post a link to it. It contains all details (and someone may be able to review prices and give me heads up), but with Terraria 1.2 coming up, things lookin good
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:37:19 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: Potential Partnership
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:37:52 am »
News ^

Edit, it looks like the thread won't be approved for some time. Most of it is currently irrelevant. I might expand to King Arthur's Gold, though I don't know bandwidth requirements, or server availability.. Unfortunately it's dawned on me that having service localized to one area in the west coast may not serve well enough.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:06:55 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:47:26 am »
What voice servers?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 06:01:01 am »
Mainly mumble, but possible vent too

We'll see if it's actually desired, and at what price, so basically starting off, I'll probably just make it really basic and see what happens. If something ideal happened and people actually wanted voice :) (it's pretty casual Terraria after all), estimated income could be at like ~$20 a month. Not much. So after some review, setting up something more than basic may not be a killer.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 06:06:01 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 07:07:54 am »
I've been hosting on my end only TeamSpeak3 but I guess setting up some voice srevice like mumble or Ventrillo shouldn't be that hard. Also there is one important aspect - licence. I know that with basic license for TS3 you cannot resell servers or channels. As to mumble/ventrillo I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:33:42 pm by Furai »
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 02:22:59 pm »
Ah, licenses. I heard about those once. Overlooked them.

Instead of ventrillo, it might be TeamSpeak3.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 05:44:24 pm »
Mumble is free and opensource software: https://github.com/mumble-voip/mumble/blob/master/LICENSE

Their sourceforge site says:
Free software - no licensing hassle
Open Source - open in security and technology, and open to extendibility

So I don't think you will have issues with renting servers.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 01:24:05 am »
So the thread was just approved, along with 2 other organizations. I won't be hosting multiple locations, but I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel with money at the moment :)

http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/terraria-dedicated-hosting-20%C2%A2-a-slot.106083/

No website, so it will just be through request on the forums. A website might not be likely to increase traffic, as it would only be dedicated to one game, unless it appeared on the first or second page of a Google search. I guess tickets and that stuff would be nice, but that could all be done in PMs or people could complain in the thread. Might as well cover all the questions in one fat thread.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 01:26:31 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 02:15:10 am »
Someone remarks this site looks like something from the early 2000's.

http://www.circleprefect.com/
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 02:45:47 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 09:50:39 am »
As far as ts3 license goes you are obliged to pay a one time 50 usd fee to be able to host ts3 servers on top of that you are paying fixed price per slots you are hosting throughout the month. Price goes down the more slots you host. Source: zabijaka.pl is licensed ts3 server provider. http://sales.teamspeakusa.com/pricing.php

Im chill like that

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 08:06:06 am »
I see. It's likely I'll just support Mumble.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »
Ok, woo, several applications made.

http://pastebin.com/1qAYHsLP
http://pastebin.com/13P4KiRi

I should probably use if(args.Contains)
Still working on smtp (times out, argh)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:16:40 am »
Didn't want to start a new thread, but it's the same idea (scratch the whole partnership and voice servers). Was away for some time, and a year is a good time to let a website cook. Making a new design:

www.circleprefect.com

The old website is at that URL, with /old/ appended to it.