Author Topic: SOLDAT 1.6.6rc1 release candidate ready for testing!  (Read 7574 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
SOLDAT 1.6.6rc1 release candidate ready for testing!
« on: September 26, 2013, 10:12:19 am »
Here it is: The first release candidate for Soldat 1.6.6 aka Soldat 1.6.6rc1!

Please test the movement system (prone cancel, etc), spas reload, knife stabbing, the intro and all the other changes.
If no big issues are found this will be the release version.

Note I sadly wasn't able to compile the mac server (don't have access to my mac atm). I'll make sure it will be available in the final version though.

Happy testing!

Soldat 1.6.6rc1 changelog:
- Modified jumping and side-jumping out the unprone animation to be quicker and smoother
- Modified the unprone animation to only take half as long
- Modified pressing both [ left ] and [ right ] movement keys now keeps you going in the first direction pressed
- Fixed punch/knife prone cancels were fixed unintentionally**
- Fixed incompatible test and release versions are visible when requesting lobby
- Fixed your own player name being displayed below you when your cursor is at the edge of the screen

Soldat 1.6.6b2 changelog:
- Added scale interface option to config
- Modified decreased the freecam movement deadzone so the sudden speed change won't be as abrupt
- Modified loading Textures to be like in the stable version again**
- Fixed player names positioned incorrectly when Scale_Interface=0 was set**
- Fixed backflips were harder to perform due to fix for #380**
- Fixed not being able to prone cancel while holding down the reload button #416**
- Fixed pressing multiple conflicting keys (reload, throw grenade, throw weapon, change weapon) should only perform the latest key pressed

Soldat 1.6.6b1 changelog:
- Added the ability to roll out of prone when on ground
- Modified made self-bink halve accumulation rate anytime when crouched or proned, and not only when staying still
- Modified the unprone animation to be "slippery" so you don't lose momentum when touching ground with it
- Fixed players appearing to be in a prone position when they weren't #326
- Fixed player's momentum often vanishing when coming out of a roll #369
- Fixed proning and unproning would interrupt the Spas' reload #379
- Fixed unproning would interrupt the weapon throwing animation
- Fixed pressing both Left and Right should move you in the new direction #380
- Fixed unproning would interrupt the knife throwing animation #307
- Fixed proning and unproning would interrupt the weapon switching animation #317
- Fixed faster weapon switching glitch when pressing both [change weapon] and [throw weapon] keys
- Fixed camera for spectators moved to top-left on map change #31 #373
- Fixed spectator camera still trying to follow kicked player #33
- Fixed spectator camera still trying to follow player that switched to spectator #34
- Fixed spectator camera defaulting to top-left in single player
- Fixed spectator camera defaulting to top-left when looking outside map bounds
- Fixed freecam didn't move smoothly in widescreen #277
- Fixed player names weren't centered in spectator mode
- Fixed off-screen teammate names weren't positioned correctly
- Fixed player indicator visible in the map's top-left corner when you're spectating
- Fixed OSX servers are displayed as Windows servers in Servers List
- Fixed team mates could be binked under some circumstances #398
- Fixed cannot join spectator team through ESC menu on Windows servers #408
- Fixed controls momentarily locking when throwing knife in online games #383
- Fixed knife throw while airborne would make it impossible to do a subsequent backflip in online games #314
- Fixed grenades couldn't be thrown when inside "only team player collides" polygons #123
- Fixed grenades couldn't be thrown when inside "flagger collides", "non-flagger collides" and "flag collides" polygons
- Fixed momentum being lost or not being able to immediately sidejump as a roll or backflip animation ends
- Fixed momentum being lost or not being able to immediately sidejump as an unprone animation ends
- Fixed not being able to immediately sidejump out of crouch

Soldatserver 2.7.6rc1 changelog:
- Added quit message for SIGTERM and SIGQUIT signals
- Modified the unprone animation to only take half as long
- Modified jumping and side-jumping out the unprone animation to be quicker and smoother
- Fixed pressing ctrl-c multiple times doesn't shutdown server when threads are still running on windows
- Fixed server crash when when downloading files #402
- Fixed punch/knife prone cancels were fixed unintentionally**

Soldatserver 2.7.6b2 changelog:
- Modify log stacktrace to log\stacktrace.txt file
- Fixed stacktrace log doesn't work on windows legacy server

Soldatserver 2.7.6b1 changelog:
- Fixed TScriptTeam events wrongly exported
- Fixed GetPlayerStat(id,'primary') and PrimaryNum are the same IDs (#374)
- Fixed Map.Objects index span is limited to 32 (#381)
- Fixed debug=2 setting in soldat.ini crashes soldatserver #394

Maps 2.7.6rc1 changelog:
- Modified ctf_Crucifix background color slightly lighter to make better contrast in the bottom
- Modified ctf_Crucifix darkened a little the white barbwires
- Modified ctf_Crucifix top and bottom colliders set from front to middle
- Fixed ctf_Crucifix large pillars set to back because they where too easy to hide players

Downloads:
Soldat 1.6.6rc1 Full
Soldat 1.6.6rc1 Patch (for 1.6.5 only)

Server 2.7.6rc1 Full
Server 2.7.6rc1 Patch (for 2.7.5 only)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:13:56 am by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Vos

• Soldier
    • http://kosoldat.forumer.com/index.php
Re: SOLDAT 1.6.6rc1 release candidate ready for testing!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 10:46:51 am »
will test soon, thanks
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:18:08 pm »
Its backward compatible? So if I update all my servers to this, players with last ver can play normally?
No only players with 1.6.6rc1 will be able to play
Rules

Offline NightKing

• Major(1)
  • Boom chicka wah wah
    • NightKing Videos!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:01:32 pm »
- Modified pressing both [ left ] and [ right ] movement keys now keeps you going in the first direction pressed

You've finally understood the problem. All this time, people kept on telling that you should make the movement go by the last key pressed, which was always blatant crap.

Thanks for this.

All in all, I wouldn't change the movement at all.

Adding prone to crouch animation will just add another possibility to "eat bullets" due to netcode issues. Same goes for Prone + Grenade key (X+E in my situation), results in a weird spazzing movement, during which almost every bullet shot at the person will deal no harm, due to netcode errors, in which it shows the player that the enemy dodged the projectile but actually hasn't, as it's just a weird animation glitch.
Try pressing X+E (best when no grenades are left, to prevent unintentional grenade throws) rapidly, you'll see the weird movement. It's an instant Prone cancel.

Anyway, movement seems to have some issues, I just don't get it what exactly, but I'll analyze what my movements are and then try to track down the problem.

For now, regards,
Night.

Offline ki0sk

• Major
  • Amazing Horse
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:56:35 pm »

You've finally understood the problem. All this time, people kept on telling that you should make the movement go by the last key pressed, which was always blatant crap.

Isn't that how it's been up to 1.6.5? I haven't tested the latest beta versions but going off of finger memory... if you're going left and push right, the gostek slides(as shown on here). Will try and test both beta versions to find out what this is all about.  :-X
♥Ooh that's dirty!

Offline paintZoom

• Major
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 03:01:22 pm »
i just played this version a few minutes ago
and i didn't see any problem with the movements in fact i liked how smooth is now
it feels more slippery when you going somewhat fast
also the ability to roll out of prone adds more variety to the already flexible movement system.... so this is a nice addition
for ex: you can go doing the superman thing then hold "roll" and when you reach the ground it wil do the roll and give you a little boost so its pretty cool and also you can repeat this sequence a few times or hold/fire the chainsaw when rolling for extra fun
i still dont know if this is useful in actual game (tested it offline) but it seems that is gonna be fun to try it out online

the only thing that im not liking now is that when you are going fast (horizontally) and release all the movement keys when the soldier reach the ground make it stop with no slide so it looks a little bit odd
is like it has way to much friction when standing still although this allow you to change the way you are going very easily it should have a little slide depending on your previous horizontal velocity.. but it's just a personal thought

Offline NightKing

• Major(1)
  • Boom chicka wah wah
    • NightKing Videos!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 05:43:25 pm »

Isn't that how it's been up to 1.6.5? I haven't tested the latest beta versions but going off of finger memory... if you're going left and push right, the gostek slides(as shown on here). Will try and test both beta versions to find out what this is all about.  :-X

Actually up to 1.6.5 it was that you always go to left (I think?) after pressing both A+D at the same time. On the other hand, the momentum was still there, you didn't stop (talking about midair A+D pressing now) immediately upon pressing the 2 direction keys, instead, it took some time, which looked smooth, and was logical, cause going from fast moving into point blank standing still in mid air in a milisecond makes just no sense.

Offline ki0sk

• Major
  • Amazing Horse
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:48:54 am »
First off let me point out an issue that was present on both 166beta2 and in the 166 RC.
I tried changing resolutions and wasn't able to. This and the huge crosshair issue was also present

Scratch that, I unchecked "scale interface" in setup and this fixed it. The huge weapon screen was throwing my depth perception off. I think this should be unchecked by default no?

Now, moving on...
here are my thoughts on the beta movement change (as much as i can explain really :p)

Why people are up and arms is beyond me.

Nightking said in the 166b2 thread
1. The A+D will f*** up alot of old players, as now the movement keys overlapping will be made so that the last key pressed will decide your moving direction, and that sucks.

2. The W + A/D existed, but it wasn't so, let's call it weird. You instantly stop in mid air, and fall down as a statue, which has never been that way.

The change that I do recognize from 1.6.5 to the 166RC:
In 1.6.5 pushing A+D would have your gostek going right in whichever combination you're pushing(Left first then right, or right first then left). This was the bug and they seem to have fixed it in the RC.

Now in the RC, the first direction you pushed will take priority and will ignore the opposite input.(example:hold left and push right, you'll be going left. Hold right and push left, you'll be going right)

I wont go into 166b2 as it's been reverted back and fixed.

2nd issue
As others have already said, Up to 1.6.5(and even in the most recent beta versions) if you do the W+A/D it has always been that you stop in midair as to do a delayed backflip. It doesn't feel weird at all, that's how its been. In 166b2 the movement change didn't affect this delayed backflip at all.

Sorry but with the years under my belt playing soldat, this change is so minute that there was no need for some to get all irate about it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:07:22 am by ki0sk »
♥Ooh that's dirty!

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:32 am »
First off let me point out an issue that was present on both 166beta2 and in the 166 RC.
I tried changing resolutions and wasn't able to. This and the huge crosshair issue was also present

Scratch that, I unchecked "scale interface" in setup and this fixed it. The huge weapon screen was throwing my depth perception off. I think this should be unchecked by default no?
I cannot change the scale interface setting in patches because then people who activated it will see a sudden change. I could do that in the full version though.
Rules

Offline NightKing

• Major(1)
  • Boom chicka wah wah
    • NightKing Videos!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »

Now, moving on...
here are my thoughts on the beta movement change (as much as i can explain really :p)

Why people are up and arms is beyond me.

Nightking said in the 166b2 thread
1. The A+D will f*** up alot of old players, as now the movement keys overlapping will be made so that the last key pressed will decide your moving direction, and that sucks.

2. The W + A/D existed, but it wasn't so, let's call it weird. You instantly stop in mid air, and fall down as a statue, which has never been that way.

The change that I do recognize from 1.6.5 to the 166RC:
In 1.6.5 pushing A+D would have your gostek going right in whichever combination you're pushing(Left first then right, or right first then left). This was the bug and they seem to have fixed it in the RC.

Now in the RC, the first direction you pushed will take priority and will ignore the opposite input.(example:hold left and push right, you'll be going left. Hold right and push left, you'll be going right)

I wont go into 166b2 as it's been reverted back and fixed.

2nd issue
As others have already said, Up to 1.6.5(and even in the most recent beta versions) if you do the W+A/D it has always been that you stop in midair as to do a delayed backflip. It doesn't feel weird at all, that's how its been. In 166b2 the movement change didn't affect this delayed backflip at all.

Sorry but with the years under my belt playing soldat, this change is so minute that there was no need for some to get all irate about it.

We both have plenty of years "under our belts" playing Soldat, but I can feel the differences in movements, that's for sure. Changes to weapons? I don't care, I'm a movement freak, and movement is my key to victory, not more power on a weapon.

The W + A+D always existed, true, but it wasn't so bad, as to stop in midair in a matter of miliseconds. That has been an issue of the "latest key pressed designs the direction you will go" rule. When pressing both A and D, you first go (as example) right then left, causing a full stop in mid air, while in earlier versions pressing 2 keys would make you go by the first key pressed, so you would "glide" in the air, while "standing", and not just fall down like a rock.

If it's still unclear, I might make a demo to clear up my concern about that movement issue, but it's been fixed already anyway, so no need to discuss it anymore.