Author Topic: Demo converter  (Read 5091 times)

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
Demo converter
« on: September 15, 2013, 07:11:22 am »
How hard would it be to create a demo converter?
I know that changes in gameplay, graphics and such will affect how demos look in different Soldat version.
However, the impact can't be that big, and I don't really want to have several versions installed or lose some cool demos forever.

As most simple solution, it could just change the version stored in the demo file?

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Demo converter
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 01:20:33 pm »
I think it would be pretty hard.

Sadly there is no other way you have to keep the old versions.
Changes will get worse over time so what you are suggesting is not a solution.
I think even if you patch the demo version you will see some weird stuff already.

The main issue however is that only the devs can write a converter as you need to know the demo format which is equal to the netcode and you have to know all the small changes from version x to y in netcode and gamecode thats a lot of work.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 01:22:33 pm by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 10:41:11 am »
I tried once, but there were so many differences - some major, many minor - that I decided to just give up. Yes. It's difficult.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:42:36 pm »
It would be really cool to have it on avi/mp4 or some other known video format right away after recording. Also saves the trouble of having to open Soldat and play a specific point instead of searching.
Could be awesome if you guys could find a way around the difficulties. :o

Offline Vos

• Soldier
    • http://kosoldat.forumer.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 04:04:23 am »
thumbs up
For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 04:43:35 am »
It would be really cool to have it on avi/mp4 or some other known video format right away after recording. Also saves the trouble of having to open Soldat and play a specific point instead of searching.
I would want to choose the recorded camera movement myself though, so that's not possible.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:30:59 am »
I would want to choose the recorded camera movement myself though, so that's not possible.
What do you mean by that? That you can not edit the specific part of the demo you want to be in the movie?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 12:27:27 pm »
What do you mean by that? That you can not edit the specific part of the demo you want to be in the movie?
What if you want to slide over the map in freecam (notext). How would that work if the demo is made into .avi right away?