Author Topic: Complaint on new movement system  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Puure

• Major
Complaint on new movement system
« on: October 15, 2013, 12:30:43 pm »
Hello dear community.
I'm not sure if I created this topic in right section, if not, I'm sorry. I would like to raise the issue which appeared with the latest version and has a significant effect of the climb mode. I'm talking specifically about this: "Fixed pressing both [ left ] and [ right ] movement keys should move you in the first direction pressed #380". Reading this before released 1.6.6 I did not expect that it will have such a significant impact on the game in climb mode. By introduced changes, backsteps jumping have become tragic. On the climb servers, players are outraged. Making backsteps was unchanged since the beginning of Soldat and players were accustomed. Many maps which require proper jump on the previous soldat versions have been possible to complete, but in 1.6.6 same maps with the same jumps are impossible now, or player need huge luck to beat the map.
Backstep is a kind of "rebound" in the right direction by A+D+W, so three keys at once. In 1.6.6 you have to let go A/D before push W. Simple right? not exactly...
Indeed,on the polygons in a straight line we can do backstep without any problem (it's just a matter of habit), but how to do it at an angle of 45° or 70°? These types of jumps are already problematic especially when we have a little space to do it, because "gostek" will not do this when we press W, he will run away and not stop. Let me explain few jumps on demo on different versions (1.6.5 and 1.6.6).

As we see, making the same jumps on the 1.6.6 its practically impossible now. Of course someone can say im noob and i don't know how to jump a "new method" heh, but all climbers will say the same thing even the most experienced climber. I don't know why it was changed, for what? Why You changed this movement? I understand that the newer version should be better etc. but if You entering this change please keep in mind ALL modes! (also climb). On the modes like CTF, DM, Knife etc. its not noticeable, because there is no need to use it. While the climb by this "upgrade" has been completely changed. Soldat it's not only shooting and throwing knives, Soldat its also great game of skill which require a lot of combinatorics jumps. There is many players which playing ONLY climbs. Something special for everyone :) But now for the most climbers its not a same game.
Is there any chance to release a little patch which return "old movement system"?
Please other climbers to say your own opinion about this.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Re: Complaint on new movement system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 01:19:53 pm »
I thought this is what the RC versions are for.

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 02:56:03 pm »
something always fucks up during release

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline Leader

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:12 pm »
I agree with you in 100% Pure. New version of soldat has many new modifications and it makes problems in climb. These problems are often impossible to avoid and maps are becoming impossible to cap. It is really annoying., but what can I write more.. I hope that next version will be fixed and old settings would have came back.

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:28 pm »
You people should've played RC.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:39:53 pm by FalconPL »
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline Masakrysta

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »
This new movement is fucked up :'(
I Agree FIRST post !
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:18:27 pm by Masakrysta »

Offline Adamo

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 05:35:04 pm »
I totally agree with Pure. Multiple maps has now become impassable and many players are unhappy :/; (. It is as if you went in the opposite direction, not the one you want. I sincerely hope that this will be corrected as soon as possible

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stupid Mother of Hope

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »
Hi, there were a few modifications during the beta and release candidate releases for Soldat 1.6.6.
I tried to make sure the changes are ok for the players, it seems like you didn't participate in these tests and the discussion.
IIRC these changes were introduced as a bugfix and for consistency reasons.

I cannot watch the demos you attached as I'm missing the maps/scenery etc to watch them (I guess that's why you called them "gowno"*.sdm aka "shit"*.sdm :P) so at this time I'm unable to check what is actually wrong with the movement changes in the new version.
It would be great if you could attach all the files which are need to watch them.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 06:20:19 pm »
If you know how to make animations of the moves that are now difficult, it would be great. If not, I could possibly help you if you gave me/us the map and the demos.

Offline 14th_account

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 10:33:50 pm »
Please demonstrate this on a default map. TheOne mentioned in this post that all it requires is a steep polygon. There are steep polygons at either side of ctf_Nuubia to demo it on.

Offline Puure

• Major
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 09:04:32 am »
(I guess that's why you called them "gowno"*.sdm aka "shit"*.sdm :P)

The name of demo was spontaneous xd
Indeed, I forgot attach the map, sorry then. Of course demo doesn't reflect this exactly, may as well
I could fail jumps on purpose, but I did it normally. If You know how to do backsteps (old movement), You should check it in practice in both versions, then You will see how big difference is.

Offline bobbity

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 11:43:21 am »
Agree with op. Ive only heard people complain about this, and i wonder how you devs have not, nobody likes "Fixed pressing both [ left ] and [ right ] movement keys should move you in the first direction pressed". Anything else but this... please

Offline kicikici

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 12:18:33 pm »
In my opinion changes in movement system are the beginning of the end climb mode. When I turn on 1.6.6 first time I felt like an amateur which start climbing yesterday. After this all years pressing both [ left ] and [ right ] movement keys is not a bug, but feature. So I fully agree with the creator of this topic.
Also, I would like to introduce demo which show very useful jump used by many people. After changes it is impossible to do. This jump lets fully control of behaviour and now its gone :( I called this "minijump with possibility to do backflip". Demo was recorded on 1.6.5 version. I attach a map with modificated alpha spawn. This jump is helpul in many other situations. If someone tells me that this jump can be replaced by, for example miniflips, isnt a real climber.
Classic banana

Offline Nedi

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 02:03:22 pm »
New movement system sucks. Please fix it.

Offline KwazaR

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 04:18:40 pm »

That's what my reaction was like when I first joined the game on the newest version. What I wanted to say has been pretty much mentioned in there. I'm for fixing this one. Thanks.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »
It's a tad annoying when climbing I have to say.

Im chill like that

Offline TheRealSp00n

• Major(1)
  • spewn
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2013, 06:24:51 pm »
pleasseee change it back!! climbing is not the same!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2013, 07:36:14 pm »
Can't you see me, skoskav and shoozza is trying to find a solution? Don't make us read empty posts, we allready know the whole climbing comunity is against this.

Would it be any better if you moved in the direction of the LAST key hitted instead of the FIRST? I'd have to check how that would work with everything else though

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 03:11:43 am »
Would be nice to see some video clip explaining what the problem is, just shouting that it sucks doesn't really help your case much. I know you have posted some demos, but if you want some community support most of us are too lazy to reinstall 165 to watch a demo!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Puure

• Major
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 04:15:03 am »
Would it be any better if you moved in the direction of the LAST key hitted instead of the FIRST? I'd have to check how that would work with everything else though
there's can not to say clearly that will be better, but that is an idea.

I know you have posted some demos, but if you want some community support most of us are too lazy to reinstall 165 to watch a demo!
Installation takes one minute wow, if it is a waste of time for someone, they are really lazy...
Devs and People interested will show more enthusiasm in this problem.