Author Topic: So here we go again  (Read 6649 times)

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
So here we go again
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:33:36 pm »
First off Happy new year fellow soldateers and that forum logo today is just epic, great work on that one! Particulary thanks to the DEVS for their great work the last year and I hope this is taken into the new year. I am looking forward to the next few updates from the logs so I just can't wait, bit surprised no one else has made a post like this but hey I guess we are a community of inactive grumpy old men nowadays! Would be great if shoozza or a fellow DEV could maybe give us a sort of Aim of the year post or what sort of direction they are trying to go in. There have been loads of big active topics about what needs to be done to get the game we all love active again, and seeing the recent growth of the DEV team is this an action to try and make some of our desires real?

Second up, if you still love soldat and play CTF 3v3 please go sign up for the LoF league you can find more information here ; it is run by a bunch of friendly admins and is a great place to enter the competitive soldat scene before trying your hand in the next sctfl season. If you don't have a clan and have no idea where to start or what to do, then go try out some gathers. Feel free to drop me a pm here if you need any help getting to IRC or anything.

Lastly, I was wondering if to use a term from other games if "griefing" is a problem in public servers? By this I would mean players joining only to hack/cause problems on the server and ruin the game for the rest of us. I bring this up because we have recently had two players in the competitive scene who decided they were done with soldat and played a whole day of clanwars with hacks just to get banned, not the first time this has happened but I find it is just quite sad for the whole community that players just don't care at all about the effect this has. Nowadays I myself rarely find the time to play a gather let alone a cw, and if I had connected yesterday and played that clan then found out they had hacked. Well I most likely would not have played again for a good few weeks... recently I have found myself preferring to relax in a public server for 5mins than to bother joining IRC and dealing with the idoits our community seems to produce. But it is a two sided dagger as ever because, I can't go a week without coming online to atleast say Hi to my clan members and buddies... it has been said before that our community is quite rotten from the core but it is also one of the only reasons people keep playing.

I don't have much experience playing other online games actively, but for people who have or do ; are all gaming communities the same?

TL;DR - Working on new years day:( GOOD WORK DEVS WE LOVE YOU, EVERYONE KEEP PLAYING SOLDAT, HACKERS ARE STUPID.

Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: So here we go again
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:11:14 pm »

Developers, please return to your confertable seats in front of the pc and start coding!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 03:13:18 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 10:29:25 am »
I'm cool with them not posting devlogs only if that means they are too busy actually doing stuff. Soldat isn't going to get a breakthrough update for sure, no need to call it out. All we can do is sit back and direct DEVS on some small step by step changes, so the game doesn't lose its flow.

As for playing in a tournament I'll think about it, although soldat seems more laggy now than ever in history. So I doubt i will enjoy playing in a tournament fashion, where kills and deaths actually matter.

I've noticed those 'cry babies' you call griefers throughout the years. It's not like they are new phenomenon. Some guys just get bored with soldat after a while, or maybe its just their lack of skill that brings them over the edge. In result they google for soldat hacks and try to ruin everyone day. I'm strongly against hacking on public servers/gathers/cws, I've even started IRC channel #soldat.anticheat where I've gathered public servers admins and we share data of known hackers seen on our servers.

And for last when it comes to boosting activity, I'd strongly recommend playing on public servers for a while each day.

Im chill like that

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 05:47:34 pm »
Some news from the devs would be nice. I guess it will be only by Jan 6th.
I wonder if soldat will ever get some social side.

Keep up the good work devs and community!
It's TIME!
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 04:47:16 am »
I'd like some quicker and more agile movement. First off you should take back the full ability to hold both left and right in a jump, thus stopping the gostek's leg movement, enabling you to decide exactly at what point to start a backflip.

Cannonballs also used to be slightly easier to do. It seems that backflips in general have been changed to more often take a vertical direction rather than horizontal and if done in such a way that it couldn't possibly result in a slowening vertical backflip the gostek sometimes refuses to backflip at all. This needs to be changed back to how it was.

I think the movement in this video shows roughly the feel of what it should be like running around a CTF map while in combat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vh8FDzjwh4
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:58:47 am by NamelessWolf »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 07:27:01 am »
Removing this 2 step move really influenced my climbing abilities. Decreased fun, increased rage.

Im chill like that

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:10:55 am »
Don't really see what this has to do with the topic i've started here.
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:51 am »
I thought the topic was about the game's development in general, starting from 2014. What I'd like to see is a game which works more like Soldat did when the game was more popular. Less problems and more fun.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:52:28 am »
Yeah sorry I am just tired of this whine about movement changes and how most of the people whining seem to have a pretencious reponse about it all starting their sentances with "WE KNOW BEST AND THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE!" I appreciate it may have caused some issues in climb mode, but to see climbers claiming it has ruined CTF movement and ruined Soldat completely just shows they have not played any other gamemodes and frankly is getting pretty pathetic. I stopped following that topic but I think Shoozza already stated that he feels he has fixed a bug and would not change it back, however, he was open to suggests to implenting ways of performing these movements without them being seen as "buggy" (?)

I think in general the DEVs would prefer a major reduction in WHINE about how Soldat was better when their grandpa's played and more detailed/explained suggestions for future improvement. Just take your youtube video for instance, I do not see any movement it shows that would be problematic in 1.6.6 or which is fairly difficult? I think a few days of Soldat even for a novice would give a player suffience experience to perform those movements shown? Maybe I just feel that way because I do those movements without even thinking, but I even think a bot can do that with some decent waypoints?

Anyhows...

Like you have said lets move forward positively jumping into 2014 with smiles and carebears all around :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:07:10 pm by CheeSeMan. »
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:58:51 am »
This game consists of like 250 active players devs should ask for players opinion before trying to change gameflow completely - like its with climb(one of the few gamemodes remaining active). Although it didin't make some of the jumps impossible, those jumps were meant to be easy level when the maps were created (now go ahead and change 2500+ climb maps to keep them with the current jump flow). "Need help" forum section would fit perfectly, I could picture skoskav actually asking if he should go ahead with a particular change before he forces it.

I think a few days of Soldat even for a novice would give a player suffience experience to perform those movements?
There are like  a dozen different jumps in Soldat i doubt it takes few days to peform them all with high percentage of repetition sucess.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 12:02:07 pm by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:08:19 pm »
I think a few days of Soldat even for a novice would give a player suffience experience to perform those movements?
There are like  a dozen different jumps in Soldat i doubt it takes few days to peform them all with high percentage of repetition sucess.

Sure but I am talking about the movements portraited in this video...
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:39:47 pm »
This video was made on realistic which no one really plays anymore and all the moves are being done with the fear of losing that hp. Idea of devs posting planned changes stays.

Im chill like that

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 04:11:45 pm »
This video was made on realistic which no one really plays anymore and all the moves are being done with the fear of losing that hp. Idea of devs posting planned changes stays.

I wouldn't agree with that from playing realistic mode its very possible to move just as fast, just needs a bit more thought about your landing. Also don't know why your being so negative, if anything Realistic mode is on a small revival with the help from Nosejj and aveh setting up #realistic channel. It seems quite active, from when I've been on IRC gathers seem to happen quite regularly. Just glancing through the SRL stats shows us this SRL 16 season was the most active SRL has been since SRL11 http://sctfl.net/srl/ (No idea about public realistic servers though.)

WHY COMMUNITY SO DEPRESSED! HURRAH FOR SOLDAT! AND PLEASE DEVLOG!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:13:54 pm by CheeSeMan. »
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 05:23:56 pm »
I saw mittsu say real is dead and since i know hes realistic player i assumed he was right. The only realistic pub i see online is rs/cs, since leo servers went down i dont think anyone is stepping up that niche. It's sad to see gamemodes slowly die, DB, KO, INF.

Im chill like that

Offline Kabuto

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 06:33:49 am »
I see that most of people here draws attention just to IRC gather... Its funny because you forget that without Public servers this game would be totally dead(its already dying compared what I saw 9months ago), and played sometimes by maybe 10 players per day on private servers.

For most of the day there is maybe 60-160 players in lobby, and 20-30% of them are playing in climb servers(rest on other servers and almost 50% on zabijaka ctf and AUS7RAL).
For last weeks I saw maybe 2-6 people per day in realistic servers and most of them was just in one of them... so yes, realistic is dead.

So deal with it, that movement system is important. Climbers are most important community is Public Soldat, because most of CTF players are random, and they play sometimes without any specific rules(today most of clans are made just for fun).

But of course you can live in your closed world of gather and IRC... Don't care, but if you gonna forget that Public Servers are MOST IMPORTANT, even if they are full of random players, one day you gonna wake up and see that you are alone without any future, no matter how hard Dev's gonna work.

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 11:33:52 am »
Yeah sorry I am just tired of this whine about movement changes and how most of the people whining seem to have a pretencious reponse about it all starting their sentances with "WE KNOW BEST AND THIS IS WHAT NEEDS TO BE!"
As true as it may be that climbers in general know climbing best, I haven't seen anyone use the phrase you're reciting.

I appreciate it may have caused some issues in climb mode, but to see climbers claiming it has ruined CTF movement and ruined Soldat completely just shows they have not played any other gamemodes and frankly is getting pretty pathetic
I've played CTF for 10 years, I'm a member of a leading Trenchwar clan and I've played several hundreds of TTW gathers. On climbing servers I always was kind of a noob (and I don't think that I've even tried playing climb specifically since the latest version came out) but the recent restrictions of advanced movement in Soldat are so game changing only in the game modes I play that they should be impossible to miss for an experienced player in any game mode, let alone a climber.

If you think that destroying the ability to climb won't effect other game modes than those which are based on climbing only, think again.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 11:37:10 am by NamelessWolf »

Offline nouefexe

• Major(1)
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 04:38:28 pm »
show us a gif or youtube video.. of what u could do in 1.6.5 that u cant do in 1.6.6 !

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 05:31:36 pm »
I don't have any capture programmes at the moment and only one version of Soldat.

One thing which happens typically though is that when walking or running towards the left (or vice versa) up a ramp which isn't very steep and I intend to take a small jump backwards (with the option to later start a backflip which can send me up and left again) by pressing right for a short moment the gostek often refuses to follow the buttons I press and instead it keeps on straight forwards. Since this move is often made when climbing a window on the first floor of a bunker instead of running in through the door, the effect is often that the gostek enters the bunker on the wrong floor compared to where I chose to go. It could also be that the gostek jumps straight into a grenade or a shot which I was pushing it to jump over.
Of course there are ways to get to the same places as you could before but it requires more preparation. Instead of taking things as you go, adjusting your jump even after leaving the ground, you sometimes have to start a backflip from further away. Enemies see your path more easily and you just don't have as many chances to improvise, which is more important in a game where actual killing takes place than in a pure climb map.
The move also gets harder to perform, in a way which is very much unwelcome. When even the truest climbers struggle with the changes you can't ask of ordinary players to make it just as good during combat as they used to do. The effect on it is simply games of lower quality and who wants that really?

It's the same thing about grenades which you can't throw while passing colliders and bullet colliding polygons. It used to be a great offensive move to prepare a grenade for someone on the other side while jumping straight in an X or a door to instantly throw a grenade once you got into the obstacle. Now it often causes the gostek to just move his arm, without throwing anything and before you can do anything else you're usually dead.
Personally I've had to adjust to a more defensive and less selfsacrificing way of playing TTW. I can't push forward in as many situations as I could before and if I'm not the general that often means that I'm slowing up my team, allowing enemies to respawn and making it harder to conquer bunkers. Worse team players always did stop in these situations, but now there's often not as much choice if you want to win the fight against someone on the other side of cover. Jumping in first shouldn't leave you defenseless, if even for a moment.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:56:35 pm by NamelessWolf »

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 07:31:31 am »
I saw mittsu say real is dead and since i know hes realistic player i assumed he was right. The only realistic pub i see online is rs/cs, since leo servers went down i dont think anyone is stepping up that niche. It's sad to see gamemodes slowly die, DB, KO, INF.

Wait, what!? I did not say that! Realistic  ctf (standard maps and no survival) public gaming is dead, but r/s cs, ctf gathers and SRL are staying strong!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:33:23 am by Mittsu »
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 11:49:58 am »
Yea i meant public servers, when leo servers went down it was best sign of dark times for soldat.

Im chill like that