Author Topic: Soldat Tutorials website  (Read 9566 times)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Soldat Tutorials website
« on: February 18, 2014, 10:14:03 pm »
Hey,

Since there is a very large gap between soldat players who play on public servers and people who are playing in the competive scene I thought it might be helpful to create a site which helps "new" players and other players, who need help at some point, a website to get started and to get help.

There are a lot of tutorials on the forums and on other sites but it would be nice to have everything just at one place so that people will not have to search as long as they would do right now.

One of my aims is to get  people who are playing on public servers into the competive scene (IRC, gathers & leagues)
Another aim is to have a place with just everythng about soldat at one place (as I said before)

F.A.Q
Server Tutorials / Installation (Linux, Windows...)
Movement Tutorials
Mapping Tutorials
Modding Tutorials
Game Tutorials

I've just created a template quickly, so that you can see what this site is going to be about.
I also want to have translations.

Do you like the idea ?
Any suggestions ?

you can have a look at the current template
here

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:51:06 pm by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Re: Soldat Tutorials website
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 03:38:52 am »
Most of it is here, in this forum, we could just copy it to one place and update images(because this topic are a bit old), there is lots of gifs with movements and mapping tutorials so no need to write everything from scratch....

You could add new button between home and forums for this list.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:12 am »
There is also the soldat manual and the wiki.
Both need someone to who is willing to keep it up to date and clean up the html (for the manual).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:08:34 am »
There is also the soldat manual and the wiki.
Both need someone to who is willing to keep it up to date and clean up the html (for the manual).

I'll see what I can do about the manual

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 04:18:38 am »
@Shoozza: There is the devs wiki, right? 'Cause the general one is gone for years! (wiki.soldat.nl) :(

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 05:40:40 am »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 06:17:54 am »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 07:14:50 am »
wow its so outdated...

and definity it need some corrections to make it more readable. too much useless info and outdated data

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48:57 am »
@Shoozza: There is the devs wiki, right? 'Cause the general one is gone for years! (wiki.soldat.nl) :(

I really hate Endor or whoever else ran that wiki and didn't even let us migrate it to one of our servers before he fell off the face of the Earth. The waybackmachine might still have a lot of the content though.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 06:25:41 am »
PS, I know that is nothing important but devs.soldat.pl also would need some cleaning(not now of course).
Loots of links to enesce site(that is dead) and maybe there you should make script tutorial?

Most of people first go there to see how every function and procedure work, thx to examples written there.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 06:59:36 am »
The devs wiki can be edited by anyone.
If someone wants to help just start fixing stuff. If you have questions join the #soldat.devs irc channel and let us know what you want to do.
Falcon had some people who helped him with the scripting documentation so maybe you want to talk to him first.
Rules

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 06:32:15 am »
I just want to report that your site on my netbook and tablet looks like mess:

You should use some samples sites or something that also have mobile version.

PS
my netbook have 1280x720(tried on chrome and Opera Browser)
and my iPad mini have 1024x768

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:11 am »
I just want to report that your site on my netbook and tablet looks like mess:

Yes. Akinaro is right.

I know i replied earlier, but I just now read the entirety of this thread as well as the first post and I saw the site. I don't know what drugs darDar is on but I want some of them. That is by far the worst website I have seen in a very long time.

- Shit color scheme.
- Too many things going on at once. (IRC webchat, really?)
- Piss poor web design/layout
- What's that "soldat mapping showcase" thing at the top? If it's supposed to be a link to my mapping site it doesn't work.
- HTML code sucks. You've omitted required elements (body tag), interspersing old bullshit ones (center tag) and aren't closing other ones. Your CSS looks somewhat solid though, probably because it's less forgiving in terms of fucking up syntax so you're forced to care.
- You didn't change the default font, so Times is being used. San-serif fonts like verdana, arial, tahoma, etc are used for web pages/user interfaces and serif fonts like times are pretty much used exclusively for print media. Read up on typography.

What you should do:

- Stick to fixing the wikis (not the one on wikipedia) and don't look back.
- Study how websites that don't suck look then come back later.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:17:51 am by jrgp »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 07:29:21 am »
At first I thought that is just some bug is some sample site that he used. But the longer I look at it, the more I think that he should create some .onion site for Tor browser and sell it as a drug for few bitcoins :]

Best part is when you resize whole site using zoom tool, its like live creature that move when you move

You should find some sample site and put there all content, its simpler and faster because you dont need to play with such simple site
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:31:45 am by Akinaro »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:48 pm »
I know i replied earlier, but I just now read the entirety of this thread as well as the first post and I saw the site. I don't know what drugs darDar is on but I want some of them. That is by far the worst website I have seen in a very long time.
the fact you didn't f*** a girl ever is a reason to be mad, but pls. don't call me a "drug user". I would never do that (you should also try that).
- Shit color scheme.
"I've just created a template quickly, so that you can see what this site is going to be about." That's what I've written in my first post, so if you had a brain you would know that this is a temporary website for testing matters.

- Too many things going on at once. (IRC webchat, really?)
Oh, you mean the IRC webchat which you also put on soldat.pl at "Chat" ? I had the brain to put a channel name to join or do you expect people to find out which channel to join out on theirself?
- Piss poor web design/layout
said about that previous, also I wanted to have several things on one site
- What's that "soldat mapping showcase" thing at the top? If it's supposed to be a link to my mapping site it doesn't work.
It's a test template, so this "buttons" on top are just made to show off the possible web layout.

--
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140228/bmtgmwg7.png that's what It looks like here
I am using 1680x1050 with Mozilla Firefox.
I am aware of that problem since I checked the site with my mobilephone and the same bugs appeared.

It's fun how hard you judge on my site which is (pretty clear written in the first post),just for testing matters and to get some feedback on the general layout (not the design)
and which has a good aim. I'm not going to fix any wikis.

You should better blame yourself on being a pretty lazy web administrator on soldat.pl for not updating that shit site in years, and even when I gave you the advice to fix some things and to delete some stuff from it, it seems you are not capable to do that. Here's the post

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 05:19:50 pm by darDar »

gather.soldat.pl

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:07:39 pm »
I apologize for being so harsh.

Difference between the IRC on soldat.pl is that you have it embedded inline instead of linking to it externally. It's best to split things into multiple pages instead of having everything on one page.

Regarding dev on soldat.pl, I'm currently working with Shoozza to rewrite the backend to better suit his needs. I admit that development on that site hasn't progressed significantly in a while, but it's always been fully working.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:06:37 pm by jrgp »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 08:09:51 am »
Please don't reply to troll posts and stay on topic. If you want to prove that you are better than the next guy argue objectively, avoid offtopic talk and unnecessary accusations. If you cannot manage to do that you better don't post anything there.
I for my turn don't like to have to remind people about this every time.

As I said I'm my last post the wiki would be best for this as anyone can contribute.
You could ofc make a design for the wiki.

About your template:
I'm sure you are aware that the colors are sub optimal.
The positioning seems to be broken.
For example the site doesn't look usable in my resolution (see attachement)
I use the latest version of Firefox (don't worry about the quakenet iframe it just hidden as I disabled loading it)

A few things I dislike atm: The site uses google analytics. There should be no need to use JavaScript on that site. The quakenet chat thing is very small (even login form is not visible correctly).
Rules

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:29:59 am »
maybe change name of dev.soldat.pl to wiki.soldat.pl

remake main menu to:
Main page
Information - all info about soldat with sub sections of versions, changelogs, etc
Gameplay -  info about gameplay, weapons, type of games settings.
Multiplayer - info how to join, settings of multiplayer, info about common multi topics
Servers & Scripts - current dev wiki
Tutorials - help with gameplay and scriptings/modding
Communities -  list of all communities with descriptions
Random page
Help

If there would be site like that, I could make few sections with screenshots and copy few topic from forum with more wiki style.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:33:20 am by Akinaro »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:01 am »
Yeah sounds good.
I actually had that idea before but didn't tell jrgp to change it yet as he has other stuff to finish atm :)
Rules

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 04:35:45 am »
how about this Akinaro?:

Re: My suggestion for Soldat 1.6.7 !
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 03:48:17 am »

tutorial: nope, Its so simple action game that I have no idea who would need tutorial for it. you just need to play more to get better, this is best tutorial

in order to avoid another reply I will mod  this one:
1) you are right Akinaro I shouldn't have post here, should have PM you
2) I meant gameplay in my suggestion, unless it means something else than I think off...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 05:19:52 am by Drax »