Author Topic: ctf_Infinity_Halo Idea  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
ctf_Infinity_Halo Idea
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:33:24 am »

Well, I was playing with new polygons type: its awesome, even if they have few bugs(no double-down to go down, and sceneries cover this polygons so its hard to make layers of scenery)

And because for almost 10 years I playing Halo(I found Soldat Playing it xD ) I always wanted to make  halo styled map for soldat. So I started small project of halo power tower totally made from polygons:

Doing such building in polyworks is something like my puzzles for killing time(have lots of them) but I had cold so I was connecting polygon to polygon... and I ended with hugeass map that had almost 4000 polygons xD

Its based on Infinity map from default Maps from Halo, but with desert colors and of course 2D :]

Of course Soldat can open map that have less than 3000 so I did screenshot of this tower and put it as a scenery, change a bit all map structure and added more new background polygons...

And here is result of it:

Its not finished, I still need to make proper background, add new sceneries and fix some polygons.
So for now only screenshots :]

Here are places with new polygons.
(I played this map with friend and at first it was weird but after you learn where you can jump its really fun xD)

Red arrows show direction where you can jump through new polygon and yellow where you can "enter" them.

And here is map it self:

For now map have about 1800 polygons and few medium and small sceneries and with 10 bots I have 60fps just like limit in settings!

I just love performance of this 1.6.7 beta!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:38:39 am by Akinaro »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Re: ctf_Infinity_Halo Idea
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:44:58 pm »
PS if someone have nice canion background(shoots from bottom) I would be grateful for links, cant find anything nice in google  ??? ???

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 03:31:52 pm »
nice

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »
Shouldn't the other side be "blue"? Not sure how it was back in Halo, but here in Soldat the differentiation of the team colours in each base would be a nice touch.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 04:45:48 am »
yes I know about it, just like I said:
Its not finished, I still need to make proper background, add new sceneries and fix some polygons.

Thats why I didnt upload map for now(and because its use new poly) :]

Beside I still need to improve this tower a bit, and probably change size and add ramp on the ground just like original have.

And as I tested it, even with full polygon graphic(2600 polygons for whole map) 1.6.7 still maintains 60 fps when I play with bots :]
So if it gonna be so good at next beta, maybe I leave it like first version was(full polygon graphic)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:25 am »
Why don't you create the background halo ring planet thing in the center of hte map so it looks like you're playing halo?

By that I mean the purple thick line at the top of this:

There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 06:38:45 am »
Well... I was planing to make full copy of Infinity map. I had almost identical tower from halo made from polygons but after a while I thought that maybe it would be better to make something different than copy of it, so I changed it to desert and simplify buildings a bit.

Now I even think about leaving main design of whole map but change towers to something like water tower(futuristic of course) to make it more like fight between two companies that fight for water excavation :]
Add some new pump and pipes graphic, and change this plasma beam to smokestack or something...

It normal for me that I change ideas very often but here I'm not gonna change main design of two towers between mountains with two bridges. With new polygons Its awesome Idea!

So even If I like halo, and infinity map, and first idea was to make copy of it, probably after I finish it It would be the same map but with totally different graphic... Unless I forget about it, just like with other map that I have in Polyworks Folder xD

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:39:34 am »
As you take the team colour suggestion into account and you decide to go for scenery instead of polygons, you got two options:

-Two huge tower sceneries which both have tiny team colour differences.
-One huge tower scenery + several neutral coloured pieces for the spots with colour differences as smaller and separate sceneries.

I recommend latter which would decrease file size and download time significantly.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:51:31 am »
Tower in this stage take 122KB
Current Background mountains take 72KB
Rest of sceneries is from default gfx folder or from well known maps so more than 80% people should have it on pc.

But its good idea to make one tower and remove colors from it and add them separately.

EDIT: I found out annoying bug with new poly: flag sometimes get through it with no reason. I need to test it(maybe its spawn place) so for now Im not gonna report it in bug.soldat.pl

EDIT 2:
I have small problem. Should I put "Only Bullets Collide" polygon behind flag post?
So if you hide behind it it would cover you.

Because Flag post is based on "Background polygon" so its not gonna be weird if you jump from bottom to level of the tower ground, and it gonna block your jump in this part.
It have normal polygon block on the right so its not gonna be so easy to quickly grab flag and go to bottom floor(you need to jump it).

This floor under tower doesn't have any "Only Bullets Collide" Polygons so if you grab flag and run using lower path other team still can shoot at you, but maybe its good idea to give behind this post cover spot so you not gonna be so exposed...
PS on this post the left barrier is also Background polygon and it have small collider but i think its not enough...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:57:35 am by Akinaro »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »
Topic can be Closed.

Map upload to:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43317.0

Sorry, I lost interest of converting this map to my new idea so I upload latest finished map with polished graphic from this one.