Author Topic: Mutant Factions = Soldat + GTA2 + Diablo  (Read 3581 times)

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
Mutant Factions = Soldat + GTA2 + Diablo
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:00:48 pm »
If I were to describe Mutant Factions it would be a mix of these 3 games:

-Soldat for the fast-paced online PvP combat and aiming system.
-GTA2 for the vehicles, explosions and top-down view.
-Diablo for the complex skills system and the co-op zombie killing game mode.

Here is a youtube video showing off the gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85aypwkAKU

And here are a few sexy screenshots:

Blowing up a vehicle roadblock to kill zombies.

Two players using skills against eachother in PvP combat.

A roadster narrowly avoiding a stinger missile.

Unlocking some skills.

Doing a driveby in the flatbed.

Slaughtering zombies in Outbreak.

Game Overview
Mutant Factions is a free online shooter. The gameplay is unique because you don’t play as a man, but as a mutant. As a mutant killing enemies will make you mutate. This allows you to unlock skills and customize your playstyle. While most online shooters are restricted to only weapons, Mutant Factions throws in vehicles and a strategic skills system into the mix as well. This makes for very fast-paced and tactical gameplay. Like DOTA there's a bit of a learning curve due to all of the skills, but by reading this how to play guide you'll be ready to start kicking ass in no time! There are all the usual gamemodes like Capture the Flag, Team Deathmatch and Free For All, along with some game modes unique to Mutant Factions. In the Outbreak game mode you get to play co-op against zombies, and in Checkpoint you get to use the vehicles and race laps and set up road blocks. Lots of chaos, lots of fun!

Key Features
-33 skills divided over 3 skill trees. Each skill has been uniquely balanced by having both a benefit AND a penalty. This is key and what makes this game so unique. In earlier versions skills only provided benefits, but this made the game horribly unfair for new players. 3 years and 20 versions later, the skills have been rebalanced to provide unique penalties as well. This means that a brand new level 10 player can defeat a level 100 player by exploiting his weaknesses. The end result is you have a game that you can quickly jump into and start killing in minutes, while still being able to progress your character, explore awesome skill builds and not put anyone at an unfair advantage. An example of a skill might be Blade Fury which does lots of slashing damage to nearby enemies, but makes your bullets less accurate. Good players will know when to cast the skill and when not to, based on the situation at hand. Another example is Invisibility, which makes you invisible but also drains away your mana over time. Lots of skills to explore and experiment with!

-Over 30 uniquely balanced vehicles and weapons. A lot of versions have been released for Mutant Factions during it's beta stage to iron out all the balance issues. Finally the game is in a state where combat is nice and balanced and players must spend or save their cash wisely to choose the best weapon at the time. For example, shotguns are great up close, rifles are great at range, and machine guns are great against vehicles.

-Ranked servers have recently been added to the game to satisfy the needs of more competitive players. By joining a ranked server you are committed to a match, similar to DOTA2 or CS:GO. At the end of the round your rank will be shifted by how you score against your enemies. The ranking system is based on the ELO rating system used in chess and provides a fairly accurate representation of a players skill level. Very addictive and provides a great goal for those who want to improve their skills and master the game.

-An inbuilt map editor allows community members to create maps. As a result there are countless user-generated maps and plenty of variety. Map makers are also awarded these things called "community credits" which they can use to unlock sexy cosmetics and show off their support. The cosmetics have no impact on gameplay but look pretty swish. Stuff like capes, lightsabers, vehicle decals, etc... there are no hat unlocks unfortunately.

- A variety of PvP and PvE game modes. The most recent addition is Outbreak which is a PvE zombie slaughtering game mode. This game mode is a great way to practice as you can learn how the skills work against zombies. The zombie difficulty will scale up and down based on your performance in game to keep a constant challenge. The skills work amazing against the zombies too and make you feel like a god as you destroy them!

About the Game
Mutant Factions has been in development for over 6 years and was officially finished and released as version 1.0 yesterday! It's a very exciting time for the game and a great time to start playing! The playerbase is a little small at the moment, but it's a friendly community and would love to have some fellow 2D PvP shooters come visit. The game gets exponentially more fun as more players join the server as the chaos ramps up and up, so the more the merrier!

Some of you guys might actually remember this game by it's old name, Subvein. It was posted in these forums years ago and we all had a blast playing it, which is why I (the developer) am back to let you know that it's now been officially finished. The last time it was posted here the game was in a very unpolished and incomplete state, and as mentioned above suffered from level 100 players absolutely dominating level 10 players. This has all been fixed now, largely due to all the helpful feedback Soldat players provided all those years ago. So thank you for that! I'm here now to let you know that your help is much appreciated and has been put to good use!

The game is still 100% free and only 28MB to download, so how about we all hop on and play another game together!

Here is the official site with a free 28MB dowload: http://mutantfactions.net/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 01:37:45 am by bencelot »

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
Re: Mutant Factions = Soldat + GTA2 + Diablo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:15:12 pm »
Soldat can not be compared. Ever. Although I am surprised you have players actually playing since Subvein was basically dead.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:17:18 pm by Adam »

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 05:57:54 pm »
Sweet nice to see you finished this game :) I will have to test it out again! I never really liked when Subvein went a more skill dominant direction than actually just being about aim+grenade timing but I hope this works out and makes it active again!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:51 am »
Idea and overall look is nice, but for me there is too much on screen and on gameplay for such small game...

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:16:25 am »
downloading right now, i remember playing Subvein and it was pretty cool :D

"Players are rewarded for their support and and as a result there are countless community made maps to play!"

a little mistake there :)
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:32:43 am »
downloading right now, i remember playing Subvein and it was pretty cool :D

"Players are rewarded for their support and and as a result there are countless community made maps to play!"

a little mistake there :)

Thanks for pointing that out Mittsu. Fixed!

Thanks to the guys who have downloaded and played so far, I've had a few good games with you! It's great to play in a server with more than 10 people for a change :P

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:02 am »
After about 30min of playing I can say that I like atmosphere of this game, gameplay is really nice, especially shooting like in CS2D. But I totally dont like all this skills there should be only 2-3 of them with levels or something, and I thought that this cars are for fun, but its seem that(on server that I played) you need to pick some weird thing and ride over some lines(have no idea what its is).

This game would be really awesome if it would be simpler and with clear rules, because its rally fun to run, ride and shoot. its too dynamic and action-centric to have such skills, probably I would get used to it but it shouldnt take more than few h...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:26:58 am by Akinaro »

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 06:31:52 pm »
Thanks for trying out the game Akinaro and thanks for the feedback. The lines that you had to drive over are only in the Checkpoint game mode (which is the racing game mode where you race against the other team to complete laps with the Battery object on your vehicle. Meanwhile your allies try to set up roadblocks to stop the enemy from doing the same thing at chokepoints around the map).

On the topic of skills you are right that they make the game very fast-paced and chaotic. And they also take a while to learn. There are 33 skills and each skill provides a benefit AND a penalty, so there are in a way 66 different status effects you need to know before you can truly master the game. If someone shoots you with Venom Shot for example you will turn green, but you need to know that you will both be losing Xhp/s for Y seconds AND that your bullets will be dealing 30% more damage for those Y seconds. Your bullets dealing extra damage is the "penalty" that your opponent suffers from using Venom on you, and once you know how it works you can use this to your advantage (as in, rush out and try hit him with your bullets while you have the super damage). Another simpler example is the Blade Fury skill which makes blades spin all around you at the expense of increasing your weapon's recoil. Tactically you should use this skill in close quarters so you can slice your opponents to pieces, but you'd be a fool to cast Blade Fury on yourself while trying to snipe people from over a screen's distance.

Anyway so the skills ARE complex and fast-paced, but that's the point! It's a bit like DOTA in that the game takes a while to learn, but once you DO learn it the depth of tactics and strategy is immense. Things happen very quickly and the skill ceiling is very high. I consider myself pretty good at the game, but there are some players (who actually came from these forums such as STM1993) who will absolutely destroy me hands down no matter what, because they're just that much faster than I'll ever be. I'm being beaten at my own game!

But thank you for your feedback. I do need to add some sort of tutorial system to help people practice and understand how it all works, because it's a bit overwhelming at first. There IS the zombie-slaughtering game mode called Outbreak however which I think is perfect for practicing the game. You can play cooperatively with other players so no one is going to destroy you, and you can take your time learning how the skills work by using them to slaughter zombies :D

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:04:32 am »
I stll can say that im nit gonna remove this game, and probably i would try play it everyday, its one of this game that atmosphere just want you to play :)
And i loved this outbreak mode where you need to turn on this bombs on maps.
Ps its also funny that i can run it with all graphic to max on my netbook with crappy IMGA and atom dual core, and i have no fps drops even when there is chaos on screen... And soldat still can lag on small maps with 16 bots xD so good work at optimization :D

EDIT
hey! Internal Server Error 500 :[
site and lobby is down cant login...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 08:47:53 am by Akinaro »

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 09:26:25 am »
Hey Akinaro, it's back up now. I quickly took it down to do some system maintenance. Thanks for pointing it out though!

What's your name ingame btw? We should play a game :)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:03 am »
Im logged as a Akinaro, for now I'm playing only on outbreak(random ones) morning and few minutes afternoon.

Beside I slowly used to skills and all gameplay but I was soooo pissed of when I found out that I lost all skills and point after 2 matches.... :/  I know that there is note about that when you enter server but it still I wanted to throw my netbook to the wall :/

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 10:41:28 am »
Hmm, after 2 matches? The way skills work depends on the server you're in:

1) If you're in a quickmatch then at the end of the round all the skills reset. You're playing on a temporary character basically and get to try new skills every round. Rest assured that any experience you earn is still saved to your permanent account, but you get to play with a temporary mutant each round.
2) If you're in a permanent server then you'll play with your permanent account. Same skills will last round to round and it'll never get reset (unless you do it manually with community credits).

If you've got any more questions about how this works just lemme know!

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:47 pm »
Yes that was quickmatch, i knew how its work but still it was annoying... as i saw perm servers need more players to start match... so people start playing because i want perm skills :/ im starting to like this game dont make me angry >:(

Offline bencelot

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 09:09:28 pm »
Oops sorry Akinaro missed this reply. It's not permanent servers that require a certain number of players, it's ranked servers. Ranked servers are competitive and so they require an even number of players to join before the match will start, keeping the combat fair. Some permanent servers are ranked, but others aren't and you can always join those ones!

Also, any experience you earn in quickmatch servers is still saved to your main account anyway, so you can level up from playing QM and then when you go into a permanent server you'll have more skill points to invest.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 05:36:29 pm »
Why do people find it necessary to post games they like as their first post. At the very least, I find it odd to do it on this forums. Speaking of which, I guess some people will never leave this heaven of a place... Heaven... yep.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:15 pm »
Why do people find it necessary to post games they like as their first post. At the very least, I find it odd to do it on this forums. Speaking of which, I guess some people will never leave this heaven of a place... Heaven... yep.

He's the developer. :rolleyes:
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20