Author Topic: Suggestion: new forum stars&rank names?  (Read 4775 times)

Offline Drax

• Soldier
Suggestion: new forum stars&rank names?
« on: March 28, 2014, 11:50:12 pm »
Does anyone feel like changing colors of stars for certain number of posts and changing rank names?

my suggestion: (I leave number of posts to you)
1) gray star, rank : Noob, Newbie, Camper (who is seen as a noob in soldat), Major (I am referring to automatic nickname, that new people use when they join soldat) Private... 
2) dark blue stars, rank name: Soldat Soldier or Soldier can stay...
3) red,white, stars, rank name: Predator, Berserker...
4) orange, light purple or light blue stars: Aimbot...
5) yellow stars: rank name: Rambo, mentor, Before Retirement  jk xDD...
6) gold stars: rank name: Veteran, Soldat Gandalf, Past Master,

I prefer those:  more serious/useful/helpful/meaningful once:
1) Newbie
2) Soldat Fan
3) Supportive Soldater
4) Elder Soldater, Soldat Senior
5) Mentor
6) Veteran

post your suggestion and lets choose best ones

DarkCrusade

Re: Suggestion: new forum stars&rank names?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:05:30 am »
We already have the best possible set.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 06:08:06 am »
Moved the topic.

As to suggestion - I doubt anything will change. We are good.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Fawkzy

• Major(1)
  • :^)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 06:45:42 am »
Tried it once, didn't work.

Behold, my childish dumbfuckery from 2009 - http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=34451.0

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 07:26:38 am »
Drax, why is it that you've only been here a month and a half and you already want to completely redo the ranking system? And the only people who care about stars/titles are starhunters, which doesn't encourage proper posting anyway. It'd be better if we gave everyone the same stars and removed titles and postcount.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 07:28:39 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 08:12:20 am »
+ for removing post count! :]

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 08:23:21 am »
It'd be better if we gave everyone the same stars and removed titles and postcount.

Can we have a poll on that? I am most certainly opting for F12.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 08:44:25 am »
If we had to replace the stars I would prefer if they were replaced with something soldat themed (helmets/nades etc).

Titles should stay so people know that a mod/admin was writing (the current colored stars help here).

Alternatively you could replace them with tags like "SCTFL winner", "Soldat supporter" (paid for the game), "Senior member", etc
Something similar what i saw years ago on the cortexcommand forums.

And if that is not enough (because only one tag), you could introduce a steam like system with levels and achivements as a replacement for the whole ranking system.

Postcount boosting should be discussed in another thread as it has to do with the current rules for posting and not how the ranking system works.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 09:06:25 am »
I think graphic would be too small for helmet, and nade would look just like big dot.

Beside I think we shouldn't focus too much on such things, more important is post it self rather than number of stars and titles. Only devs, mods, admins and beta team should have titles enabled.

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 03:02:06 pm »
Drax, why is it that you've only been here a month and a half and you already want to completely redo the ranking system?
guys you always reply to my suggestions like I would say: "here is my suggestion, do it!"
...and because I don't like them...  :P

If we had to replace the stars I would prefer if they were replaced with something soldat themed (helmets/nades etc).
why would we replace stars? they are from soldat and  I think they are perfect

Titles should stay so people know that a mod/admin was writing .
agree...

Alternatively you could replace them with tags like "SCTFL winner", "Soldat supporter" (paid for the game), "Senior member", etc
Something similar what i saw years ago on the cortexcommand forums.

why can't you just use mine?
 more serious/useful/helpful/meaningful once:
1) Newbie
2) Soldat Fan
3) Supportive Soldater
4) Elder Soldater, Soldat Senior
5) Mentor
6) Veteran

"Soldat supporter" (paid for the game)
I hope you are not referring to me in some way...
for this one I think that star that we have in score box in game does this job (shows who supported game with $$)
here is forum and ranks should tell who has what level of knowledge

I also suggest that ranks from 1-4 should depend on number of posts and ranks 5-6 would be granted by "leaders", because I can get to rank number 5 and I won't deserve this rank called "Mentor", meaning, I will still know now enough to be called "Mentor" and I would just be ashamed to post another comment.   

what do you think?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:28:07 pm by Drax »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 07:34:35 pm »
I see no reason to require manual assignment for mentor/veteran tags, the current ones we have are enough.

Now that I think about it... adding manual tags might require some people who add them and keep them up to date as they are not automatically updated.
I'm not up for additional work and I'm not sure the other admins/mods would want to do it.

Your tags are mostly post related and the current ones are good enough for that.

Yep stars seem to fit now that i think about it.

It seems like the current system is good enought and there is no need to change anything (even my ideas would just eat time nobody wants to invest).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 08:05:42 pm »
It seems like the current system is good enought

I think current rank names are useless...

soldier,camper, flugrunner they mean nothing

adding manual tags might require some people who add them and keep them up to date as they are not automatically updated.
I'm not up for additional work and I'm not sure the other admins/mods would want to do it.

I understand that, if it's too much work then don't do it, it's better for all of us if you will spend time on improving soldat, rather than forum, but let's see maybe one of admis/mods will volunteer ;p jrgp? xDD
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:08:09 pm by Drax »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2014, 02:54:59 am »
Give us one reason why this new rank system would improve forum. Its gonna change quality of posts? its gonna change users approach to topics? its just fancy addon so profile dont look so boring, nothing more

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2014, 10:42:37 pm »
I see no reason to require manual assignment for mentor/veteran tags, the current ones we have are enough.
so if I will have rank veteran, and still be a noob asking how to do something simple, how are you going to look at it? or others?

your rank name is camper now, Akinaro... what does "camper" mean to players in soldat? for many people(I think you are one of them, am I right?) it means "noob".
in my opinion those ranks are to give others some idea on what level of knowledge you are or how you are related to soldat forum... why Shoozza has rank veteran? why not major or camper or bunnyboy, or nade? if those ranks are useless and mean nothing, why we have them?  if you don't have time to do it say it...

PS I dont know why I am replying to your flames Akinaro...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:52:46 pm by Drax »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Odp: Suggestion: new forum stars&rank names?
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 12:38:36 am »
To Its not flames.
 I ask because it's  seems that you really think that forum need new rank system like it would stop some apocalypse...

Beside camper means person who sit in one place all the time. I dont see reason why it shouldn't be set as a rank for person who spend loots of time in forum. In some way its funny to call it forum camp :-)

And dont thread ranks as a personal info about user.
Its not like if someone have 3000 posts and veteran rank is good. You could have 6000 and you would still be a dick.
And if someone is new and have 2 posts it doesn't mean he dont know what he writing.
Dont judge people using ranks and post count
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:42:34 am by Akinaro »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 01:16:56 am »
Its not like if someone have 3000 posts and veteran rank is good. You could have 6000 and you would still be a dick.
And if someone is new and have 2 posts it doesn't mean he dont know what he writing.

I can't wait until I have 9001 posts so I can say that my post count is over 9000. Technically speaking, my real post count is 10351 but lounge posts aren't factored in.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 02:23:04 am »
I would like to have always 8 posts, just like smiluu have 666 xD And no stars at all. :P

Offline Drax

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 03:14:36 am »

are you even reading my posts? vvv read this vvv

I also suggest that ranks from 1-4 should depend on number of posts and ranks 5-6 would be granted by "leaders", because I can get to rank number 5 and I won't deserve this rank called "Mentor", meaning, I will still know now enough to be called "Mentor" and I would just be ashamed to post another comment.

^^^ read this ^^^

Beside camper means person who sit in one place all the time. I dont see reason why it shouldn't be set as a rank for person who spend loots of time in forum. In some way its funny to call it forum camp :-)

well I wonder how many camper haters are there, and how many ppl will think of "camper" like u do when they will see it on forum ? xDD

I ask because it's  seems that you really think that forum need new rank system like it would stop some apocalypse...

IT IS NOT A MUST :)