Author Topic: [ACCEPTED] Spectator Free View W Button Toggle  (Read 1160 times)

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
[ACCEPTED] Spectator Free View W Button Toggle
« on: April 20, 2014, 07:46:57 am »
Hello,
That's a very little suggestion and it's nothing really criticial or something - just a 'bad' and incomplete plugin.

If you are specating and want to 'free view' you can do that by pressing 'W' (or jump?).
If you press it again, the free view will be deactivated again.
Holding the 'W' button causes something like that for soldat

freecam = on
freecam = off
freecam = on

It makes it look bad and laggy. I know no one would press W permanently but for me that's incomplete code.

It should be like:

If free view ON and you press 'W' again (but don't release it yet)
It will do nothing until you release the 'W' key again
Then it would switch to free view OFF

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:02:25 am by Shoozza »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Spectator Free View
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
I would to it differently:
freecam is OFF
you press and hold W -> freecam is ON
you release W -> freecam still ON
you press W and hold it -> freecam OFF

so it would trigger on key down but you need to release and press it again to toggle freecam.

You can add that to the bugtracker as a bug ;)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: [ACCEPTED] Spectator Free View W Button Toggle
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:51 am »
If you are specating and want to 'free view' you can do that by pressing 'W' (or jump?).
If you press it again, the free view will be deactivated again.
It will not deactivate freecam. You will stop the camera from moving (mousecursor goes to the middle of the screen)

If you want 'W' to toggle freecam. That means left and right mousebutton will not disable freecam?

I don't see the point of this suggestion, what am I missing?

[Edit]
<evhO> darDar I don't get your post about freecam
<darDar> evhO : uhm, well ok, i was wrong 'W' doesnt make freecam on, off, on , off (...) but it centers the current position of the screen
<darDar> but It looks just bad if you keep it pressed
<darDar> and move the screen
<evhO> why would you keep it pressed?
<darDar> evhO yea, but it doesnt mind if someone would do it or not :P
<darDar> it's just incomplete code, since you can do it
<evhO> I see
<darDar> i know it doesnt make much sense to do it but it's still not good
<darDar> As, I said it's nothing critical , but its just another small improvement
<darDar> to the goal
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:38:50 am by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 12:48:53 pm »
hmm ok
so the idea is to make it center the mouse only once when W is pressed down and require another keypress for it to happen again?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 02:10:56 pm »
This is how it works now:
- Right and left mousebutton changes the player you're following
- Pressing W(up) activates FreeCam and set your cursor to the middle of the screen
- As long as the cursor is in the middle the screen will not move, but the more you move your cursor, the faster will the screen move in that direction.
- If you press W(up) while in FreeCam mode will simply set the cursor back to the middle and effectively stop the screen from moving.

Two known bugs:
1. If players shoot, the camera will move because of the screen-shake-effect, even though you are in FreeCam mode.
2. If you have paused the game using F10 (in singleplayer or demo playback), pressing W will have no effect, you cannot stop the screen from moving once you have moved cursor out of the middle, unless you manage to place your cursor exactly in the middle of the screen ofc.

I have not heard of anyone complaining about how this works and so I think a change is not necessary, fix the bugs instead.

I should also mention that many new features has been discussed, I think one of the coolest is to be able to zoom in and out using scroll-button.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »
hmm ok
so the idea is to make it center the mouse only once when W is pressed down and require another keypress for it to happen again?
Yeah,
It's pretty easy to reproduce just join as spectator -> click W for freeview -> then keep the button pressed and try to move the cursor. Soldat is trying to fix the screen to the center position all the time then since you create a new position with the cursor, but since you are still pressing W it centers the screen again to the new position. As I said in the first post, that's nothing critical or highly needed. It would just make the game more complete since that is actually not how it should be like in my opinion.

I should also mention that many new features has been discussed, I think one of the coolest is to be able to zoom in and out using scroll-button.
That's a cool suggestion!
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |