Author Topic: New Soldat intro  (Read 3243 times)

Offline ZdzichU

• Major
New Soldat intro
« on: April 20, 2014, 08:33:06 am »
What about add new intro to Soldat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0BOSacWIwU&feature=youtu.be. Its made by Beta in 2013 but its wasn't been new intro in 1.6.6. Old intro is boring and not inviting to play. (just demo where MM killing bots).
What do you thinking?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Re: New Soldat intro
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:44:44 am »
Probably 90% peopl have disabled intro, and rest just skip it.

And i dont think intro could "invite" anyone to play it.
Game it self should do this, and because old look of maps and menu soldat have problem with that. Because, no matter if old user like this style, new player need better look of game.

For me everyone should focus on better looking maps and interface, but as it was said by devs in few topic: not now... So we gonna need another 12 years to see better looking soldat :)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 09:57:31 am »
The intro currently works by playing a demo file. So to make it anything like that it would require us add video playpack support and a video file (larger than the intro demo).
I'm open for suggestions though.

Maybe we can add more features to the intro demo playback or the demo playback to allow for such effects.
If you want to contribute you could collect ideas on what the intro needs to have and what would be nice to have and make two lists.
We can later look into that and check what needs to be changed for this to work.

But as Akinaro said it's not high priority (though a nice intro would get new players existed ;P)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline ZdzichU

• Major
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 10:18:27 am »
Sure. but if someone "new" see intro like this im sure he will want to check this game, so intro not only in game but on Soldat.thd.vg too.
But as Akinaro said it's not high priority
I thinking the same like Akinaro :D
Anticheat, eliminate bugs, hits, new interface and visuals first and later detals like this. :)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »

Maybe we can add more features to the intro demo playback or the demo playback to allow for such effects.
Ohhh yeah. Imagine new movies made using a cool demo editor. Well that would be quite a bit of work but it has potential.
If you guys remember some Quake movies were made mostly by using built-in editor features and scripting with only minimal tweaking needed afterwards.

Example:

"I've been working on this project since 2010 august. I had these demos on my hdd very long time and I decided to use them to a new movie... Then I started to create custom fx-scripts for q3mme. I created some preety ones and I started to create this video.About a year ago I almost finished and released it, but I stopped just before the end. I didn't edited anything to it until 2011 december and the project is almost lost...Then I had this crazy idea for the look of the rocket and the explosions and other cool stuffs. So I started over the whole thing and now here is the final version of the movie.I personally don't use much video effects on my movies. I just used some new textures and I used my custom look weapon fx-scripts. All the particles and the font/text work made in q3mme. No AFX no matchmoving.So to speak all what you see is 'IN GAME' and I just cutted the clips in vegas..."

And the result!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL0TWPmezrY

Pretty impressive, right?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 01:45:22 pm »
Well Bistoufly you know you and me could make a pretty cool video if you get some motivation :)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »
Sure. but if someone "new" see intro like this im sure he will want to check this game
I doubt people install games without watching trailers or other videos beforehands nowadays and even if some do, I believe they want to start playing asap and the intro is only an annoyance.
Having a sort of a trailer online is a completely different thing.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
Sure. but if someone "new" see intro like this im sure he will want to check this game
I doubt people install games without watching trailers or other videos beforehands nowadays and even if some do, I believe they want to start playing asap and the intro is only an annoyance.
Having a sort of a trailer online is a completely different thing.
True.
@Devs: Have you considered simply removing the intro?

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 05:23:02 pm »
I think we should keep it but maybe only show it once after each update (or install) and before the profile chooser
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 05:58:29 pm »
I think it serves no purpose and is plain annoying. f12 for removal

Im chill like that

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 07:21:47 pm »
It was cool in the old days, now I'm not so sure. Atleast don't start intro as default in soldat config.

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 10:16:41 pm »
Removal for the current version of it: sure. But there must be a way to make it nice, not this random bots jumping around...

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 03:01:41 am »
I was thinking that you could add .bik video but it turn out that its license is complicated... :/ that would be cool, its have good size/quality ratio and as far as I know its simple to add to the game.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:16 am »
You could create a map with multiple maps in it - As an effect you can add white blank sceneries or black blank sceneries + fog.
Isn't there a flashbang script in soldat? Is it possible to catch that moment in a sdm file ?
That's all which is required to make a 'cool' sdm intro.

That's what Bistoufly was thinking of I guess.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:28:04 am by darDar »
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:17 am »
You could create a map with multiple maps in it - As an effect you can add white blank sceneries or black blank sceneries + fog.
Isn't there a flashbang script in soldat? Is it possible to catch that moment in a sdm file ?
That's all which is required to make a 'cool' sdm intro.

That's what Bistoufly was thinking of I guess.
Check the video I linked. I was thinking of something really powerful with many nerdy fancy stuffs for scripters. But it's a completely unrealistic goal. I'm not expecting it to happen. And I doubt many people would have the motivation to use that to its full potential. I guess I just wanted to show that the possibility exists and that the potential is immense.

Offline dominikkk26

• Camper
    • PMGsite
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 03:53:06 pm »
Soldat is a playable demo of the demo. The best demo was by me in 1.5.0!