Poll

Should maps list (available for voting) be downloaded from server?

Yes
4 (57.1%)
No
0 (0%)
I don't know
0 (0%)
Maybe
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: [Suggestion] Maps list for voting downloaded from server  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
[Suggestion] Maps list for voting downloaded from server
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:33:18 pm »
Hi,

Currently when you want to vote a map there is a list of maps available in your own maps directory.
I suggest to change it for maps available on the server. This would allow player to:
- ignore maps that are not available on that particular server (but he/she has such map from other server)
- vote map that is available on the server but is not in the player's maps directory (he/she hasn't played on it yet)

What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Szaman.

P.S.
Maps on the list for voting shoud be sorted alpabetically and after pressing a letter the list should be "scrolled" to the first map which names starts with that letter.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
Re: [Suggestion] Maps list for voting downloaded from server
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »
What would be the format? Imagine downloading 2k+ positions mapslist from climb server. This would need a GUI update imo.

Im chill like that

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
It needs some protocol update.
2000 maps * 20 characters = 40000 bytes = 4 KB - it's nothing (and you are downloading it once - on joining the server)

And now - you can have 10000 maps on your maps for voting list... when on the server there could be 20 maps available...

Offline kicikici

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:26 pm »
DrawText + GetKeyPress =  VoilĂ 
Classic banana

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 01:02:29 pm »
It needs some protocol update.
2000 maps * 20 characters = 40000 bytes = 4 KB - it's nothing (and you are downloading it once - on joining the server)

And now - you can have 10000 maps on your maps for voting list... when on the server there could be 20 maps available...

So you want it to download as a .txt file? You will have to minize soldat and go through a folder to look it u, not really handy.

Im chill like that

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 01:05:46 pm »
Wait... I think we don't understand each other :D

I am talking about menu that is shown by Soldat after pressing Esc -> Vote map change...
Then you have plenty of maps to select (imho those are maps available in your own maps directory). And I would like to have on that list only maps available on the particular server (that you are playing at the moment of voting).

No downloading by hand, etc. It should be automatic - that's why I told about protocol update.

Is it now clear? :)

Edit: added attachment.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:09:17 pm by Szaman »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 01:08:15 pm »
I know perfectly well what you want, now imagine scrolling through thousands of maps with current left-right system. We need something innovative in that matter for your idea to gain some practical use.

edit: dude i know this game inside-out u dont have to attach screens
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:10:02 pm by Bonecrusher »

Im chill like that

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 01:11:45 pm »
Yeah... but you can NOW scroll through thousands of maps (if you have so many in your maps directory).

And that's why I've suggested that sorting alphabetically + scrolling by pressing the letter (the first letter of the map name).

Of course it should be rebuilt, but... as I can see how hard is to make any change in Soldat, I suggest the simplest solution (imho).

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 01:13:51 pm »
Now imagine mapslist having 1500 maps starting with ctf_

Im chill like that

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 01:15:57 pm »
So the field when you can enter the map name + automatic suggesting? And the list of all maps that are available. And maybe the button: "Random map" ;)

What do you suggest to avoid such problems?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:03 pm »
Like Szaman said even now I have about 1500 maps in my folder and whenever I click in menu select map i need to scroll them... so don't know why Bonecrusher dont like idea of scrolling ONLY maps that are on server, no matter what its still more than 500 maps to scroll
There should be search field under menu list that would be good for now, before it would be scrollable list like it should be from start...

Overall f12 for that, but as you should know, there was few topic about GUI and menu, even from 2007/8 and as you see Soldat doesn't like graphic changes :] Don't expect to much from two or even three next version of soldat...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:35:15 pm by Akinaro »