Author Topic: [Suggestion] Filtering servers by ping (in lobby)  (Read 1193 times)

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
[Suggestion] Filtering servers by ping (in lobby)
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:50:56 am »
Hi,

I would like to suggest adding an option to filter servers in lobby by ping.
There should be two elements:
- checkbox "Filter by ping"
- box for entering maximum allowed ping (and with default value = 250 ms)

That would filter-out all servers that you would probably never join because of the ping, so the lobby will have more acceptable list of servers.

What do you think about it?

Best regards,
Szaman.

---
To mods: please convert that topic to poll (yes/no/maybe/I don't know)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
Re: [Suggestion] Filtering servers by ping (in lobby)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:26 am »
Dont see the point of this.
Just click ping tab in lobby so you can get servers from lowest to highest ping.. ping is not only speed of internet.
Speed of PC, background task etc can change your ping 1000 per minute for one hour you can get 60ping and then 100...

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 03:10:11 am »
My preferable method of sorting is by server name. I don't like sorting by ping. So - when the servers are sorted by name - I would like not to see any "high-ping" servers.

Of course, there could be another solution - servers with ping > 250 could be always on the end of the list, despite of sorting order.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 03:15:51 am »
Its not like Soldat have 1000 servers :] thats why I dont see the point of this.

Beside ping its variable number, its depend on loots of things, one second you can get 200 and then, when you enter game you get stable 60... so what if you would set min/max to 50/100 and it would hide half of servers that have 101 just because you get small lag when you request servers?

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 04:07:12 am »
That's why I suggested another solution - all server with ping greater than some threshold should be on the end of the list, despite of the sorting order.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:24:23 am »
all server with ping greater than some threshold should be on the end of the list, despite of the sorting order.
It would also be frustrating if you're trying to sort by name, and you can't because of that.

Offline Szaman

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:41:29 am »
And that's why it should be an additional option of "filtering". Is someone wants to have such behaviour in the lobby then he/she enables it. Without it lobby should work as always.