Author Topic: Optional Console/Chat messages  (Read 3157 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Optional Console/Chat messages
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:03:24 am »
I want to be able to choose what messages I get in the chat.

''%s has left spectators'' <-- I can just check F1
''%s has returned the flag'' <-- You see when a flag is missing/returned by looking next to the scorenumber
''%s scores for Alpha Team'' <-- I can hear the scoresound and I see the scorenumber increasing
and so on...

If I remove theese lines from the translation files it does not skip theese lines in the chat, it will show blank lines.

It would clean up the chat
Theese messages are of no interrest while streaming
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:05:03 am by homerofgods »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
Re: Optional Console/Chat messages
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:43:33 am »
Big up!

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:19 pm »
So filterning Console messages but not all (i wonder if setting font size to 0 or would be an acceptable workaround)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 01:21:41 pm »
it would be via server or option in player settings?
that would be cool if player could set what to show in game :D

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:32:22 pm »
As long as I can hide all console messages, except from chat, it would satisfy the need while streaming.
How about /mute console

Be able to individually choose what messages to appear would be even better.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:36:38 pm »
Back when Squiddy was scripting for our climb server, that would have been pretty handy. We had a feature that would make you re-spawn if you hit the throw weapon key. It was one of the best convenience feature climbing ever had but the downside was the huge console spam it was generating.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:46:44 pm »
Back when Squiddy was scripting for our climb server, that would have been pretty handy. We had a feature that would make you re-spawn if you hit the throw weapon key. It was one of the best convenience feature climbing ever had but the downside was the huge console spam it was generating.
Similar problem (console spam) can be experienced with other custom modes so I agree, it would be useful to have the ability to filter out certain messages either client- or server-side.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 04:58:15 pm »
Similar problem (console spam) can be experienced with other custom modes so I agree, it would be useful to have the ability to filter out certain messages either client- or server-side.

In another thread you wrote:
...it would be nice to have the ability to hide certain chat messages either client-side or via a server script, which would be useful in custom gamemodes like Last Stand which frequently gets spammed "zombie joined/left Alpha team" messages.
You're right that's another example of where this kind of issue occurs.

My take on this is that homer's feature suggestion would be best implemented both game client-side and script-side.
- Client-side to provide a greater control to players regarding what kind of information and feedback they receive from the main console.

- Server-side to provide a mean for scripters and server owners to provide a satisfying experience to the players who visit their servers. (see the quotes above for why this is important)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:16:48 pm »
Ok lets say we add filtering support.
Filter by text wont work because of translations.

How would you filter text?

A huge dialog with checkboxes + custom text filters?
That would require us to create a list of possible filters (since you could also want to keep some messages of the opponent team or maybe all players not in your team or just Charlie)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:18:31 pm by Shoozza »
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
The message %s scores for Alpha Team is line number 7 in the translation. Can't you simply have an option to skip line number 7?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:21:30 am by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 07:29:14 pm »
Thats what i ment with a huge dialog with checkboxes for each line in the translation file which gets printed in the chat. I don't know if that is good.
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 12:29:48 pm »
A huge dialog with checkboxes for each line would take up a lot of space, and perhaps so much that we'd need to make a seperate program or a tab in soldat menu or soldat config just for that. What you could do though, to minimize the use of space, is to use the number of the line in the translation as a reference to the line.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:34:31 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 12:42:20 pm »
I don't think anyone will be able to understand this without knowledge of the translation system besides you will still have a lot of checkboxes.
Rules

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 02:40:57 pm »
Agreed, the checkboxes will easily get out of hand.

As an alternative solution, how about doing it via commands and an autoexec file? Commands could work in multiple ways:
/hidemsg #743 - hides line #743 from chat.
/hidemsg "Boogie Man has joined Alpha team" - hides all instances of "Boogie Man has joined Alpha team" from chat.
/hidemsg "* has joined Alpha team" - hides all instances of ..."has joined Alpha team" from chat. Though in this case I'm not sure how wildcards should be handled, as * symbol could also be used as part of a message.

Then a user could create an autoexecute file and have all those chat filter commands (and any other commands) execute automatically on joining a server (perhaps with a whitelist of which commands are allowed, for example to restrict admin login and regular chat commands from executing automatically).

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 02:42:30 am »
Hmm this will make it an advanced feature (which it probably is).

There are a few issues with this solution as well:

It is still difficult to figure out what message id the line you want to hide has (need to browse the translation folder for that).
Your idea is based on the /gmute and /mute command. The /mute command at least shows in the f1 menu which player you muted.
There is no easy way to see which messages are already hidden (need more commands to display hidden message setting -> will flood the chat if you have a lot of them -> cannot really see what is hidden or not)

Autoexecute sounds more like something that will run automatically, messagefilter sounds more like what we are looking for.

We are now adding more and more features to this (it was just hide messages, now it's prevent execution of commands on my side, hide custom messages, add new ones while ingame) should it be that powerful or would filtering messages from the translation file be enough?
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 09:23:48 am »
All I really wanted was: Writing /skip in the translation will skip that line instead of showing an empty line

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 08:18:00 am »
Wouldn't this be solved if you were able to open the translation file and add a '/' to the start of a line that you don't want to see anymore, and it would be interpreted as a command?

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 08:44:20 am »
Ok so if you just want to have a way to not show lines how about this:
empty line without spaces or tabs or anything -> don't print anything
else show line (you can emulate the old behavior by adding a space character)

how does this sound?

If people still want advanced filters for some reason then we need to figure out the GUI stuff first.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:46:11 am by Shoozza »
Rules

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 09:16:34 am »
The thing is that if I was to completely delete the line, I would need to copy it from somewhere else afterwards.. from a backup file for example.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 11:19:50 am »
I think just hiding all instances of the line everywhere it appears is not ideal if you're doing it client-side.

What if you're playing on a Zombie server want to hide just messages of bots being added/removed, but keep those messages for players joining/leaving, and only apply this to that specific server but not any others? At the very least there should also be a server-side implementation of this function. For client-side I think a simple solution of skipping marked lines would work fine, but hiding specific messages to make a custom gamemode more pleasant to play - that should be the server owner's responsibility.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:23:42 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 11:36:27 am »
well, for the case that this would be added to the next(s) version(s) I would recommend to just have this added to the soldat.ini
or to create a new .ini file for that. I don't see a reason to have that in the game-menus as this is nothing which would be globally used.
Also, there is a lot of space to add a note behind it in the ini. which explains each line.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 04:09:19 pm »
Make it simple, as Shoozza said, or it won't happen.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 04:49:54 pm »
Make it simple, as Shoozza said, or it won't happen.
Added support for skipping empty line console output*

Hope you like it.
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 05:03:23 pm »
Thx! I'll use it alot. Donated 30 USD, keep it up!