Author Topic: Computer equipment  (Read 6210 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Computer equipment
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:43:36 am »
Are you one of those guys who like to keep himself up to date on what equipment you would buy if you had the money?
If you are like me you probbably know a few good products you could recommend.

I'll start:

Product name: Steelseries Siberia Elite
Product category: Headset
My experience with the product: Not tested
Review(s):
Review 1
Review 2

My thoughts: This headset looks like a perfect fit for gamers, a little downside for listening to music
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 08:18:24 am by homerofgods »

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
Re: Computer equipment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 09:51:32 am »
Product Name: Roccat Kave
Product category: Headset
My experience with the product: Pretty good + 5.1 is amazing + amazing mic quality

No idea why it's 1.334,80 € on that site here. I think I paid like 150-200 4? years ago.

I use some random Microsoft Keyboard and as a mouse I have been using only Logitech devices yet
MX 518 & G400
I used to upgrade my hardware a lot earlier but I didn't do that since 2010 now.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:58:00 am »
well I'm a person who doesn't care to much about gaming devices, if something can run Stalker SOC  I'm happy like little kid :]
But in terms of PC/hardware equipment:

Product name: 1080P HD Night Vision Outdoor CCTV Security Wifi Wireless Network IP Camera
Product category: camera

My experience with the product: I have in my house similar cam to this, but its VGA version and it have static head.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4X-1080P-HD-Night-Vision-Outdoor-CCTV-Security-Wifi-Wireless-Network-IP-Camera-/221271131469

My thoughts: x4 for 550 is really good, and just like my old VGA it have app for android that its really cool and fast.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
I have the latest macbook air 13". i7 and stuffz.  This is just because I bought it recently refurbished on apple's website and it had a great deal. Best laptop I've ever had, and I've had like 4 over the past 10 years or so.

I don't give two shits about keeping up with the latest gadgetry though.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 12:44:16 pm »
what equipment you would buy not what you have.
With post like this it would be something like "who have bigger toys"... I can say that in next few days I'm gonna get my preordered Sony Xperia z2... no one care :]

Its not need to be computer, I would buy IP cams, someone would buy fancy USB gadget like turret from Portal(I would kill for it): http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/ee85/ hard to find it...

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:49 pm »
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php might help for testing headphones.

Das Keyboard but i really want to try it before i buy it (and which one)

Alternatively a keyboard with trackpoint mouse (afaik there is no "das keyboard" with such a thing...)
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 03:03:01 pm »
Since you are a developer, a good mechanical keyboard is a sound investment.

Do you know which kind of switches you like?

From the Das Keyboard store it seems like for most models the choice is limited between MX blue or MX brown. The S professional model are also available with MX red.

One way to test would be to get one of these sampler kits:

http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8

You can also play around with the o rings mod to soften the bottom out sound and feel.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 03:51:55 pm »
what equipment you would buy not what you have.

Whoops. Okay well I really want the Omega Seamaster james bond watch but I can't really justify blowing $4k on it.

I'd also like to upgrade some of the servers I own from 2x quadcore xeons to a 1x hexacore xeon w/ ht so I can get 24 cores instead of 8 or 16 to increase performance. Not really something for consumers but since I focus more on servers and hosting it's something that matters more to me.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 03:53:27 pm »
what in hell is so special about those keyboards?
~ 160 $ for a default keyboard which is not even wireless and does not have any special keys is quite a waste of money in my opinion.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 04:39:44 pm »
~ 160 $ for a default keyboard which is not even wireless and does not have any special keys is quite a waste of money in my opinion.
They're mechanical. When you are someone who types many lines of codes everyday like Shoozza, you need something which provides fast and reliable typing.
Simple as that.

If what's important for you is wireless and special keys it means you have different needs. For example you need macros or media keys and you don't like wires because you move your keyboard every five seconds on your desk for whatever reason.

Hope that clears things up.

And if you're shocked by the price, I understand it. But currently mechanical keyboards will cost you a hefty premium. It's unfortunate but for some people it's totally worth it. Since they will get a substantial upgrade in productivity due to the improved typing. (fast and precise)

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 11:08:39 pm »
They're mechanical. When you are someone who types many lines of codes everyday like Shoozza, you need something which provides fast and reliable typing.
It's mostly a matter of preference, normal keyboards of decent quality are just as fast and reliable as mechanical keyboards.

Supply&demand. Producing the mechanical switches costs a lot more than those of your everyday 10$ keyboard and the quantities are only a fraction of the amount of popular types produced. Also 160 dollars for a Cherry MX board is a lot, I guess you can find many for 80 USD or even less.

Y u no Topre? MX boards are pretty much all the same so why bother with the Das which is hugely branded?

Product name: Steelseries Siberia Elite
My thoughts: This headset looks like a perfect fit for gamers
What makes these so special for gamers? For the same price you could get a pair of headphones from a real audio company such as Sennheiser or AKG. With the mentioned brands you're much more likely paying for actual sound quality. You could even fit a separate studio quality microphone into the budget. Integrated microphones aren't usually better than something you can get from Ebay for a couple of dollars.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 02:34:57 pm »

Razer BlackWidow
~140 $
Mechanical keyboard
They recently replaced the switches: (video) If you want backlight you can buy the ultimate version but I'd rather want the price reduction. Going to buy soon
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:38:20 pm by homerofgods »

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 04:44:05 am »

Razer DeathAdder 2013 (Prices comparison)

10/10
                                                 Epic mouse.
                                         Performance and design.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:45:44 am by nosejj »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2014, 04:47:37 am »
I wish this mouse actually existed instead of being a silly proof of concept so I could buy it. It'd be great to keep on my coffee table to impress guests.

http://www.yankodesign.com/2010/02/11/you-mouse-around-here-often/

Simple as that.

I used a mechanical keyboard for maybe 6 months or so. It was the original IBM model M that I was able to find off ebay for like $40. They're certainly fun to type on and if you like the sound they make it's even better, but I don't agree with people who say they make a noticeable difference in terms of typing ability. Sure, you get that additional tactile response and sense of feel when you press the keys down, but it isn't needed to get work or a lot of code done. To each their own.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 04:52:07 am by jrgp »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 12:45:53 pm »
Video about g-sync http://vimeo.com/82053477

Bisoufly I tried to look around for monitors myself aswell, but I couldn't find anything better than this ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q. What GPU would you get along with the monitor?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 10:49:42 am »
Great video about picking the right headset
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgCMRai9K8I