Poll

?

f12
13 (76.5%)
f11
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Caps in deathconsole  (Read 1948 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Caps in deathconsole
« on: May 02, 2014, 07:33:34 am »
Suggestion:

Show caps in deathconsole

Bonecrusher: added a poll
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 01:17:33 pm by Bonecrusher »

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Caps in deathconsole
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:46:49 am »
good idea, thumbs up :D
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:58:50 am »
I play without death console since it's hiding so much of the screen but big F12 anyway!
(+ color the names to the team it belongs too)
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:49:59 am »
Clever idea.

Do you guys think both caps and returns should be displayed like this? If yes, should we keep or remove the current text message in the chat log "<player> has scored for Alpha team!"?

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:55:42 am »
Clever idea.

Do you guys think both caps and returns should be displayed like this? If yes, should we keep or remove the current text message in the chat log "<player> has scored for Alpha team!"?
No, I don't think that the return should be there - only real scores / kills.

By the way:
If the flag is not returned by a player but by the time it is not touched there is no notification about that yet..
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:56:26 am »
only caps, no returns imo
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:13:51 am »
Clever idea.

Only caps.
My reasoning is that if returns were to be displayed, you would get people playing around with the flag for the sole purpose of spamming the death console. (Soldat players will do everything they can to be annoying trolls, you know how it goes.)

As for the caps though, I like the idea a lot.
Happy to see that it caught your attention, skoskav. And nice job for thinking about this, Homer.
GJ  :)

@Homer and @skoskav:
PS1: Don't forget to document the feature in Mantis once you settled on the way you will implement it (if you do plan to implement it)

PS2: If this is implemented it would be preferable if the 'death console" would be renamed to something more appropriate. (If you guys judge this worth the effort and time of getting the relevant lines re-translated, of course)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 11:37:53 am »
This is death console, IMHO it should not show flags. If I didn't know about this feature - my first thought would be that this is a bug, or that someone killed someone with a flag somehow. I think flag/objective log should remain in chat.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:44:36 am »
well its DEATH CONSOLE...

There is HUGE text on screen when team get flag score, you hear sound and you have info in main console... why the hell you need another one? :/
And like L[0ne]R said someone could say that its bug that you see flag in death console... it would be weird

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 12:28:46 pm »
One of the meanings behind the idea, from when I was discussing it on IRC with homer, was to make the main console free of messages that only add unnecessary clutter. As for it being a "death console", I see no problem with repurposing it as a more general event console.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 12:29:44 pm »
-If we were to change to name to 'Event log' or 'Event console' or something, would it feel more natural to see a flag in there? Caps are after all more important than kills/deaths

-Only Caps was the idea.

@Akarino true it's not very needed, but wouldn't it look cool?

@bisoufly We decided to only have 'bugs' in mantis, didn't we? Will be documented in version changelogs and this forum thread
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:34:59 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 12:40:58 pm »
@bisoufly We decided to only have 'bugs' in mantis, didn't we? Will be documented in version changelogs and this forum thread
Did it change?
Used to be: if a feature discussed in the forum has been accepted by the devs or emanates from them, it gets reported in Mantis.
Ask Shoozza in IRC I guess. He will know what to do.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 12:46:15 pm »
One of the meanings behind the idea, from when I was discussing it on IRC with homer, was to make the main console free of messages that only add unnecessary clutter. As for it being a "death console", I see no problem with repurposing it as a more general event console.
That's how I imagined it when I red Homer's post in this thread. It would allow to remove clutter from the main console indeed.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:51:36 pm »
death console is moving very fast, its after all action game, almost every sec someone gonna die, so you wouldn't see it as in screenshoot... so another point for f11

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 01:03:39 pm »
What problem do you want to solve with this?

I don't think we need to mix more stuff into the death console. I see it as a place for kills/deaths only.
You wouldn't want to mix other stuff like player joined game and player changed team into the death console.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 02:13:45 pm »
You're right, this problem is relatively easy to solve. Repurposing it as a "general events" console, separating kills/deaths from other events in a more visual and intuitive way would make sense. But as Akinaro and Shoozza said, there's a lot of other events that also show up in chat. You can't move them all into the death console as it would negatively impact its usefulness in general by having it show more events in the same amount of time. It's also inconsistent to have drop/return flag messages be in one place, and caps in the other.

Personally I never had problems with the way current consoles worked. Instead it would be nice to have the ability to hide certain chat messages either client-side or via a server script, which would be useful in custom gamemodes like Last Stand which frequently gets spammed "zombie joined/left Alpha team" messages.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 08:52:17 am »
with a little bit of interface modding, and setting your kill console length smaller(The default is HUGE btw...) & appropriate font sizes you can pretty much unclutter the screen yourself. Also darDar yes there is a notification of when a free-flag auto-returns as the symbol on your interface showing flag captured disappears.

Also do we really need to know who caps the flag?
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 09:19:07 am »
The main reason why I suggested this was because it looks cool, and that caps are more important than kills and would therefor justify showing it in DeathConsole. I would not want to show anything else like 'player joined game'. It is perfectly possible to remove clutter from chat without placing this flag in DeathConsole.

If people don't find it cool and want DeathConsole to continue to only show Deaths/Kills then I don't see why my suggestion should be added.