Author Topic: Wake up!  (Read 67670 times)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
Re: Wake up!
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2016, 03:59:13 pm »
I've been sleeping like shit because I got the wrong bed when I ordered from IKEA. I returned the stupid bed and bought a Hastens bed instead (very expencive) Now I sleep on an air madrass until it arrives!
Let us know if it was worth buying.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2016, 06:17:33 pm »
I've been sleeping like shit because I got the wrong bed when I ordered from IKEA. I returned the stupid bed and bought a Hastens bed instead (very expencive) Now I sleep on an air madrass until it arrives!
I can understand a pillow or a mattress making a difference, but the bed itself? How does that work?

Edit: pillow.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:38:55 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline GymPolice

• Major(1)
  • What's that face?
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2016, 08:48:00 pm »
If you can't sleep well, you haven't drunk enough beer

Simple story!
Algorithm
noun ~
Word used by programmers when they
do not want to explain what they did.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2016, 02:31:17 am »

I've got mixed feelings towards ikea:

Pros:
- really lightweight furniture once build so it's easy during moving
- build process is usually easy and cartoons are cool
- cheap

Cons:
- really lightweight furniture which is flimsy as hell in some cases
- sometimes uncomfy
- store is so big i've gotten lost several times
There are other worlds than these

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2016, 07:20:58 am »
If you can't sleep well, you haven't drunk enough beer

*you haven't smoked enough weed

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2016, 09:26:14 am »
*you haven't smoked enough weed
*you browse too much stuff before sleep with bright screen. Blue light kills your melatonin production and you can't sleep. Easy as that. Solution? Don't browse Internet before going to bed or get redshift/flux.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2016, 03:49:33 pm »
Blue light kills your melatonin production and you can't sleep.
...or at least don't browse Soldat Forums because of its color theme.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »
I already got Flux because of some mild eye irritations. A pal of mine has more severe problems because of gaming. Careful with too much light guys! Don't go staring into your monitor with full light for long periods every day.

The thing about some mattresses is that they contain bad chemical stuff that you might not want to breath in. Basically all furniture contains these bad chemicals, that's why fresh air is so nice. My wife is allergic to Latex and reacted to many of the mattresses we tried. Hastens beds are made from pure organic stuff, good for you and good for nature. I will come back to you about the sleeping quality after I've spent some nights in it. Sleeping quality has much to do with finding your preferred hardness/softness. You can also choose between spring mattress where the mattress will breath a lot more and help you bounce out of bed or tempur/foam mattress that will wrap around you and feel soft but will not bounce or breath. The quality of the materials used will decide how much moisture like sweat the bed will transport away and if the bed regulates heat when it's too hot/cold.

It will take a month for them to create and assemble the bed and get it delivered so I will come back to you after that :)

I spent about 5 times as much as an IKEA bed. Normal persons will probably be fine with an IKEA bed but after having some issues with their customer service and learning about chemicals we decided to try hastens.

Heh, I talk about not letting small chemicals enter my body while you talk about smoking weed. Well, your choice, I even cough when walking past regular smokers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 07:44:19 pm by homerofgods »

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #148 on: August 09, 2016, 03:21:20 pm »
meow

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #149 on: August 11, 2016, 03:42:28 pm »
I already got Flux because of some mild eye irritations. A pal of mine has more severe problems because of gaming. Careful with too much light guys! Don't go staring into your monitor with full light for long periods every day.

The thing about some mattresses is that they contain bad chemical stuff that you might not want to breath in. Basically all furniture contains these bad chemicals, that's why fresh air is so nice. My wife is allergic to Latex and reacted to many of the mattresses we tried. Hastens beds are made from pure organic stuff, good for you and good for nature. I will come back to you about the sleeping quality after I've spent some nights in it. Sleeping quality has much to do with finding your preferred hardness/softness. You can also choose between spring mattress where the mattress will breath a lot more and help you bounce out of bed or tempur/foam mattress that will wrap around you and feel soft but will not bounce or breath. The quality of the materials used will decide how much moisture like sweat the bed will transport away and if the bed regulates heat when it's too hot/cold.

It will take a month for them to create and assemble the bed and get it delivered so I will come back to you after that :)

I spent about 5 times as much as an IKEA bed. Normal persons will probably be fine with an IKEA bed but after having some issues with their customer service and learning about chemicals we decided to try hastens.

Heh, I talk about not letting small chemicals enter my body while you talk about smoking weed. Well, your choice, I even cough when walking past regular smokers.
Goddamn, that's a lot of factors to consider. I'm already having sleep issues, but with so many potential causes I have no idea where to even start. :/ Also how does one "react" to a bad mattress? And how big is the effect of those chemicals? If you're not even sleeping on the mattress directly (without any sheets) - surely you're not coming into contact with any more chemicals than your body is used to on a daily basis?

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #150 on: August 12, 2016, 04:44:35 am »
Out of the many consumers who have bought memory foam beds, a very small portion seem to experience allergic-type reactions. There are some reports online of people experiencing nose, throat or eye irritation, asthma irritation, or nausea which they attribute to mattress odors. These reviews are in the minority compared to the thousands who have owned memory foam without incident over the past 25 years. According to Sleep Like The Dead’s research, odors cause less than 2% of people overall to return these mattresses. http://www.sleepjunkie.org/are-memory-foam-mattresses-safe/

After trying various beds I would recommend going to a store with lots of beds and just try them all until you find the right hardness for you. The more expensive they are the softer they are supposed to be but it doesn't necessarily mean you like them better. You will probably not find beds without toxic chemicals in them, but you can ask about their ability to transport moisture.

It's hard to choose a bed really :p There's even more to think about; Do you want high legs so that you can vacuum under your bed or store stuff under your bed? Do you want a wooden frame around your bed or do you want your bed to be frameless?

I started with some specifications I wanted and I started at the most expensive store to have a good reference when I was out looking elsewhere

My specifications was:
160x200 (have no room or need for more), High legs (26 cm), No wooden frame (want to sleep close to the walls on the side), Only organic materials (good for nature, good for me and my wife's allergies), Spring mattress (breaths and transport moisture better), One harder side for me and one softer side for my wife (it's common that girls get softer side because of their natural curves), The 160 bed needed to be split in two 80 beds so that I don't fall down towards the middle if she sleeps towards the middle, this also makes the bed more easy to move around.

Also, we have ordered bamboo sheets and duvet covers, the alternative was some high quality cotton but bamboo feels softer and more stretchy ;p It also has very good qualities.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #151 on: August 12, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
Woah, nice to see that this dialogue is going into a more serious, productive direction. The 'smoking weed' thingy was not meant to be serious of course.
I have heard about that flux thing a lot lately, already started using it on my phone (since it was super easy to get it running). Will have to read into how to use it on my linux laptop.

My 2 cents for sleeping better and basically all issues "civilized" people face: meditation & yoga. Try it out & live happier! If you need more info on that, I will be more than glad to help you...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #152 on: August 12, 2016, 05:48:30 pm »
Thanks to both of you, though meditation/yoga/any sort of physical activity is out of the question due to my physically-lazy lifestyle. :P I do have a little routine before sleep though which seems to have somewhat of a meditative effect. I suppose my main issue right now is the mattress - I have a spring mattress I brought from the cottage which looked nicer, but seems to have quite a bit of odor now that I've checked it up-close. I'll get my old one back and see if it's any better. I also have a foam one on top (I find spring ones a bit too hard), but perhaps it's not taking the summer heat and moisture too well. I might just look into buying a brand new one and actually pay attention to materials.

On a sidenote, nice to see Soldat Forums finally stopped shitting bricks. At least for now.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #153 on: August 12, 2016, 08:31:47 pm »
The right mattress definitely has a huge impact on your sleep, no doubt. If you are healthy both physically and mentally, however, you will be able to sleep like a log even on a wooden floor. :)
meditation/yoga/any sort of physical activity is out of the question due to my physically-lazy lifestyle
Especially if you are physically-lazy, you should aim for doing some physical activity.
BTW: meditation is not a physical activity, but mental. You can even do Yoga without moving (Yoga is not only the physical practice most people in the western world know)

PS: I have now installed and set-up redshift, a FOSS alternative to f.lux. Thanks for your recommendations, dudes
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 08:04:57 am by CCalp »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2016, 12:58:50 pm »
Exercising certainly help increasing my sleep quality. And I'm trying to force myself to never eat after 20:00. If you eat late the food will tumble about in your stomach all night and I have a feeling it's better for your body to not have food in your system that long.
I'm also gonna buy a fitbit or something that can tell me when to sleep based on the data it gathers from you. I wonder if all this will make me have more energy.

Most exciting forum topic ever :p

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2016, 04:32:54 pm »
I'm also gonna buy a fitbit or something that can tell me when to sleep based on the data it gathers from you. I wonder if all this will make me have more energy.
Have you tried any phone apps with the same function? Sleep as Android is supposedly one of the best ones out there, and Alarm Clock Xtreme also has some basic tracking. Not sure how reliable they are since my phone's a bit basic and is missing some hardware features that might be needed for better tracking. So far, Alarm Clock Xtreme has been working reasonably well for me, though I've yet to get a sleep score that's better than 60/100.

Most exciting forum topic ever :p
:) I'm sure most people will find it...  8) ... sleep-inducing.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 04:37:17 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »
Fuck the USSR.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2016, 06:03:24 am »
Ok I've had my bed for some time now and I've got to give you a little update :)

First of all I got to say that I was ill with a pretty high fever last week, and when the fever is leaving your body you sweat a whole lot! So there I was laying in my new bed with bamboo sheets and mattress covers freezing and sweating every other minute, I could feel the sweatdrops running down my body ending up in what i believed to be a soaked bed. The next day I was feeling a lot better, but not so energetic that I wanted to change the sheet and covers. To my surprise, the bed felt completely dry, and even more amazingly there was no bad smell! There was only the little scent of bamboo and horse-hair (very weak scent), and I thanked myself for getting bamboo fabric that is more anti-bacterial in itself than other fabric, and It might have helped that the bed should be able to transport moisture rather well.
So far I've not come crawling into a bed that smelled bad.

Other than this experience I can say that I have gotten more used to the hardness of my side of the bed (my wife is also enjoying her softer side). I've got some soft pillows to soften it up when I want to.
If you're looking for a final conclusion on whether it was worth the prize? The answer is probably no, I can't say that the bed made that much difference so that it is worth spending that much more. I also got some unexpected cost from customs because I ordered the bamboo sheets and covers from abroad. However, I'm glad that I did this. I hope I have more good experiences in the time to come. I certainly don't sleep uneasy, but there might be other, less costly, things that could contribute to a better sleep enviroment, such as cover up the windows to get a darker room, reduce the amount of drafts (small winds through the house) and finding the perfect sleeping temperature.

Let me just finish this by giving you some sleep inducing music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJj_4ir12-w
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 06:12:52 am by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #158 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:36 pm »
Let me just finish this by giving you some sleep inducing music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJj_4ir12-w

Funny how what everyone considers sleep-inducing music I use as wake-up alarms. :D

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #159 on: October 12, 2016, 10:20:10 am »
OFFFFTOPPPPPP lel
I have no time because I have to go out, and i wanna share this with you - this is pure Soldat gold, essence of things for which I love this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYE7mFADyao
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+