Author Topic: Wake up!  (Read 67671 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Wake up!
« Reply #200 on: April 03, 2017, 05:58:44 pm »
Soldat had its low activity rounds before so don't give up just yet.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2017, 08:59:50 pm »
this is ice age low
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #202 on: April 07, 2017, 09:50:29 am »
Just try some positivity after time...m? it might go whit that cheese man.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2017, 05:20:20 pm »
ded
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2017, 02:32:04 am »
If none of staff have literally 2min to write that they work, even on some boring coding stuff, why anyone else would have to write something in this forum? So at the end its dead.

As I said in other topic, if devs think that they get more attention by releasing new version as a big surprise... they are wrong, soldat is not AA game, its really small community with maybe 120 players that play regularly. If you dont post even small info, previews, screenshoots of maps/sceneries, everyone will not give a damn about this game, because why they should? When you, or rather if you release new version as big update, you will get initial hype, and then... you will get the same as with previous update: big hype about hd graphic, and then back to stagnation.

If soldat staff really take it seriously, start treating Soldat seriously as a Game, not some summer friend project. And dont even start mumbling that its free project, soldat is not alone with that, and posting damn few words on what you are working now dont cost you nothing + also there is really clear solution to that:

https://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43307.msg529484#msg529484

This is most simplest thing what you can do now to get Soldat to move, to give it really needed advertising and proper support from community. Lack of clear situation of Soldat license, staff management and money distribution is one of main reason why it falling down.

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2017, 10:28:13 am »
It's about putting your personal effort in. No one wants to sacrifice himself too much for greater good of Soldat.

Maybe... it's because of Pascal and Delphi. They ruined my life too. It's pain and very hard, lookas ugaly as fuck too. (︶︹︺)

jk

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:21:37 pm by daaw »

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2017, 02:25:08 pm »
I'm not sure i did a better job at communicating progress in the last year before i left though.

My idea was to only release info after the feature was complete to not disappoint the community in case things didn't work out.
When there were no news it was mostly because either the feature was unfinished and big (Soldat on linux/macOS) or nothing was happening. But that's how I handled it.

Advertising isn't necessary the solution. What you want is a welcoming growing community and a great game. That's at least my opinion atm.

Putting Soldat on steam isn't as important now as it was when steam first opened it's doors People certainly make it look like the problem solver for everything. Sure we might not know if it is or not until we try but don't bet everything on it.

That said it's great to see that there are still people around caring about the game, thanks for the post Akinaro ;)

@daaw I certainly didn't bother working on the game for the greater good and others didn't as well. About Delphi/Pascal: You probably know that the person who designed c# worked on turbo pascal before leaving for microsoft. If you like c# your opinion about delphi is more the opinion how the language was used in soldat and the soldat code base in general. Great programmers can write code in any programming language given it isn't esoteric or designed to be difficult on purpose :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 02:34:19 pm by Shoozza »
Rules

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #207 on: April 08, 2017, 03:00:00 pm »
Hello, I wasn't referring anything to you. I'm joke time after time.

I'm opinion was that it's a psychology like that - believing in old ideas that hurts soldat progress the most.

Pascal/Delphi: it's a ded language.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2017, 04:33:28 am »
Complete rewrite would take eternity most probably. Yet, these days most programmers asked to implement stuff in Pascal (or even C) will get an allergy symptoms xD

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2017, 11:41:42 am »
I'm opinion was that it's a psychology like that - believing in old ideas that hurts soldat progress the most.
Not sure what you mean with "believing in old ideas". I didn't see any of that in soldat.

It isn't a dead language. Not the most popular language for sure but certainly not dead.

Just invest a few minutes and check for yourself:
https://redmonk.com/sogrady/2017/03/17/language-rankings-1-17/
https://www.tiobe.com/tiobe-index/

The Lazarus IDE and FreePascal Compilers added support for targetting JVM and Android in version 3.0 and iOS support is on the way.
Check out the available targets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Pascal#Targets
Oh and the latest release of Lazarus was February 26, 2017.

The Delphi Tokyo 10.2 release was on March 22nd. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_(programming_language)#Embarcadero_Delphi_10.2_Tokyo
You can get the Starter version for free too: https://www.embarcadero.com/products/delphi/starter/promotional-download
And they added Linux support for enterprise customers. So it is moving in the right direction as well.

Also note that the language was initially designed for teaching students structured programming so it should be easy to pick up.

Complete rewrite would take eternity most probably. Yet, these days most programmers asked to implement stuff in Pascal (or even C) will get an allergy symptoms xD
IMHO the language isn't the problem here. Rewriting it just so it uses a hyped language wouldn't necessary solve anything. You probably don't want those people over your code base anyways.
Rules

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2017, 04:15:22 pm »
This is exacly what i was talking about, you so believe in it. I think i see world differently nothing will ever change me and nothing will ever change you.  (◡﹏◡)

The Lazarus IDE and FreePascal Compilers added support for targetting JVM and Android in version 3.0 and iOS support is on the way.

Don't bring this in it has nothing to do with this.

ded
Soldat isn't a dead game. Not the most popular game for sure but certainly not dead.

I just found it bit comical being on soldat forms and again talking about if it's dead or not dead enough.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2017, 12:21:46 pm »
Wake up!

Also, I'm implementing some Soldat related stuff right now. Hopefully, to be released by end of June.

Blastoize2

« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2017, 08:45:31 am »
Wake up!
I had my first cyber on soldat last Saturday.

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2017, 05:18:13 pm »
Wake up!
/pwn on top of a corpse?
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2017, 08:32:51 pm »
Wake up!
/pwn on top of a corpse?

Real question is did he /piss before or after the /pwn
There are other worlds than these

Blastoize2

« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2017, 10:18:20 am »
It was a real cyber sex between me and a random dude. After we finished he said and I quote: "I feel like a half faget right now". Anyways I'm a old soldat player just returned. What's been up how can i contribute?

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2017, 02:20:02 pm »
It was a real cyber sex between me and a random dude. After we finished he said and I quote: "I feel like a half faget right now". Anyways I'm a old soldat player just returned. What's been up how can i contribute?
Feel free to introduce the game to your friends! We're still working on the new version, no release dates yet though.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #217 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #218 on: July 07, 2017, 01:17:05 am »
Bump!
There are other worlds than these

Blastoize2

« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2017, 06:35:25 am »
One player invisible to player list, and invisible on map, black colored name in death log, one player wrong color in team.