Author Topic: Devlog update (2014-07-06) meetings, sound porting, devlogs thuesdays, vm setup  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Hey everyone!

<hmm someone find me a fitting image which can be freely used>

Weekly private dev meetings
To avoid forgetting to write devlogs and to make sure the dev team is up to date we will have weekly meetings were we discuss our progress.
This will be internally but will hopefully keep us motivated and up to date.
Starting next week ;P

Devlogs will be on Tuesdays now
Due to the weekly meeting date the devlogs will be posted on Tuesdays now.

Soldat client sound code porting
I started port the Soldat sound code to another library. There is still a lot of room for improvements sound wise.
For example stopping sound playback when game enters pause mode, or slower playback in bullet time mode.
The port to the new library is the first thing that is aimed at the 1.7 release.
I had some fun playing wav files backwards, faster/slower or jump in them "enemy flagger down, down, down" ;)

Automated deployment/development virtual machine creation
Since I'm currently not using Windows I need a Virtual Machine to run Windows software like Soldat, Soldatserver, Delphi or Cygwin (and ofc Notepad!).
I use a free Virtual Machine Image for VirtualBox from Microsoft which you can get from http://modern.ie for that.
This has the advantage that I have a clean Windows installation without viruses and stuff like that.
I have to reinstall the VM and the software every 90 days (that's the maximum time you can use the free VM) which is annoying.
That's why I started to write a script which will do that for me.

I did the same for the Ubuntu VM I use to build Lazarus compiled Soldatserver for Linux (we use vagrant here).
The script downloads and installs all the tools we need for this.
There where a few changes though. We use a newer version of Ubuntu (12.04 - previously 10.04) because the new Lazarus install files won't uncompress on the old Ubuntu version (dpkg cannot handle tar.xz).

Probably too many details so I'll stop here ;)

Have fun!
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
There where a few changes though. We use a newer version of Ubuntu (12.04 - previously 10.04) because the new Lazarus install files won't uncompress on the old Ubuntu version (dpkg cannot handle tar.xz).

If the only changes between the two debs are the internal archive format, you could extract the .deb (it's an "ar") archive and then extract the data.tar.xz tarball within and repack it to data.tar.bz2 and then repack the ar archive and it would probably "just work" on the older version of ubuntu/dpkg
There are other worlds than these

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
True thanks! I thought about that but didn't do it. I wasn't sure if it will work that easily ;)
Maybe I should try it.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod