Author Topic: Don't autobal if one already capped...  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
Don't autobal if one already capped...
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:18:37 pm »
Yeah, not much more to say.. This one bothered me a long time now.
It is just annoying if u suddenly made all those caps for the other team!
At least to me it is fuquing demotivating.
...And it fells like it always happens...

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Re: Don't autobal if one already capped...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:43:17 pm »
Well, I never really got too attached to what team I was on, and switching teams provided for another take on the map.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 02:37:13 am »
How should it balance instead?
I think currently it swaps a good and a bad player (probably the best with the worst player).

There are a few cases which have to be thought though:
1) everyone capped the same amount of times (no issues here)
2) all good players capped
3) all bad player capped
4) both good and bad player capped equally often (no issues here)
5) both good and bad player capped but one of them did more caps (take the 2nd best and 2nd worst player?)
6) the good player capped (take the 2nd best player?)
7) the bad player capped (take 2nd worst player?)
8) ? more possible cases ?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:07:27 am »
If we had account system we could have ranks, then you could be forced to join bravo or alpha just like in CounterStrike.
-Afk players could be kicked faster (or moved to spec)
-You could be able to join a server as spec even though the teams are full. That way, people will be ready to step in as soon as someone leaves (Seperate maximum amount of players allowed and maximum amount of specs allowed)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:41 am »
@Blacksheepboy: ..So if I get you right, you are not really a team-player?! ..though I didn't get that last part...

@Shoozza: But what exactly is a good/bad player? Most kills, most caps or highest k/d?
If a good player just joined he will rather be among the bad players. I just want to say that there are always some exceptions...

1) Then there is no need for a bal.
2) If many people of a team capped, just exchange more of the not-so-good ones.
3) That's rather unlikely. But on the other hand it could mean that they are good actually..
4) Hmm.. What is bad.. or see 1)..
5) 2nd best against 2nd worst could work, but it also can be that eg. exchanging the 2nd best and the worst would be better..
6) Yes, why not?! Maybe take the 2nd best and a not so good one in exchange for 2 bad ones or something..
7) Yes?! But again what is good/bad..

I'd say change the players with the least caps. Esp. CTF is about capping. So I would say caps come 1st, kills (or k/d) come after that.
What about calculating the mean (when we defined what exactly good/bad means) and then changing so often (at once) that the mean values of both teams are roughly equal!?

I've seem people leave after they got autobalanced. So I think I am not the only one who is demotivated by that. I actually think everyone is. Cmon it always feels better not be be autobalanced, doesn't it?!
And that means, that, if I was a good player before the exchange, after it I am just an ordinary one.. And that distorts the balance again!
Maybe I think of it too much as a teamplayer, but it hurts most if autbal happens just 1 or 2 caps from winning.. You did all that work but the others win..

Or another idea: What about only balancing everyone when a new round starts?! Because: No caps - no problems.
And in the meantime just balance the guys who didn't really do something for the team.

Anyways, balancing the one in a CTF-match with most caps (= the best player) definitively seems odd to me.

@homerofgods: Back then, when I played CS there was no account-system if I remember correctly.. And I don't like that in general, because that means registering somehow.. It would just not be so free anymore.
At least on zabijaka afk-players are kicked automatically, so that is not an issue I think.
I don't know it, but I could imagine that even joining as a spec will slow down the server, and by that affecting the game for everyone else. It makes a difference if u play with ~6, ~16 or 32 people. So being logged in as spec the whole day is not good practice.

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 05:49:46 pm »
From the description of the balancing that's occuring it seems like you're referring to the scripted team balancing on some public ctf servers (Zabijaka?). If that's the case, you should try contacting the owner of that server. The only auto-balancing I'm aware of that ever occurs in Soldat is a server setting that places you in the team with the least amount of players when you join the server.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 06:45:30 pm »
Hey Fryer, haven't seen you playing for some time now..

it seems like you're referring to the scripted team balancing on some public ctf servers (Zabijaka?)

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 8)
And I thought it was ingame... That happens if only ~2 servers are left.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:27:07 am »
What about giving stat bonus to loosing team? Instead of mooving players around, one team could be given +1 dmg

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:59 pm »
I think the weapon-balance-guys have already enough trouble even without that..