Author Topic: High resolution timer, on or off? More/less eats?!  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
High resolution timer, on or off? More/less eats?!
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »
It's me again.
I just fiddled around with the high resolution timer..
What is it good for???
How many times higher is it compared to the normal one (I guess normal: 1/60 s)?

I usually play without it, and I die fast. Nearly every nade etc. seems to be registered here.
Now I activated it and it makes a huge difference! I get hit by nades and it feels extremely good, at least I don't die..
Actually I'd say the whole game seems to have more latency. I fire, hit, wait and then the opponent dies (if he does not eat). Same goes for the other way round.
I'm not sure if it affects how my spas is eaten. I think it is more often as well, but since I don't die that fast it somehow compensates. Anyways what I'm sure about is that I don't die that fast!

Why did you devs actually implement it? And why can the user choose, if he wants it?
-If it makes a difference, the users should not be able to choose. That would be unfair somehow.
-If it doesn't, why actually implement it and why make a choice..
To me it sounds like a crucial part. I've done some physics-simulations (not related to the game) and generally one gets better results if the timestep is smaller, but that all was non-realtime and not over the internet. So might not really be comparable..
Can it be that the high resolution timer (and everything else that was added to the 'old soldat') kind of overloads the servers or the game itself??

Offline 15th_account

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
Re: High resolution timer, on or off? More/less eats?!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:32:16 am »
The high-resolution timer is used to make the refresh rate less jerky. Though some systems apparently had performance issues with it, so it could be turned off.

If it affects gameplay then that's a bug. Though one anecdote isn't enough to convince me.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:22:34 am »
it only really affects fps calculations and the fps limiter.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 05:29:51 pm »
Hmm can it have some indirect effects on the eats??
I just played and again I had the feeling, that I eat more, esp. nades!
It somehow felt like playing the old Soldat..

One should make some blind-tests... It's hard to say if it only feels like that to me cause I know I activated it, or if it's really happening..

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 09:35:10 am »
@Dr.Penicz

From my experience, I've come to believe that what you're experiencing is due to the imperfection of the game's netcode (and the internet in general).

To put it shortly:— Because all the player aren't playing the game in real-time and the game will try to compensate for it, apparently this mean that the game will assigned some player to have higher 'priority' then other based on the ping, overall delay, and some unknown + random factor.
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...