Author Topic: Rambomatch: Bow-in-use indicator  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
Rambomatch: Bow-in-use indicator
« on: October 03, 2014, 05:55:55 pm »
I just accidently played some rambomatch (even with ~10 players!), and before I forget this:
Would you mind implementig an indicator to tell if the bow is in use?! One never knows if it is worth shooting everything that moves, or just the bowman..

I know it's rarely played, but I say that has some reasons.. One should as well have a look in how this is still playable with more than 3-4 players..
It's more fun with less players, but it actually IS fun - I should play that more often..

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
Re: Rambomatch: Bow-in-use indicator
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 12:37:22 am »
Not sure how that will work, there are sounds for when a player gets the bow and other indicators, why aren't they enough?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:41 am »
There was a rambomatch league a while ago, maybe run it again and urge people to make improvement suggestions along the way.
Here's a little rambomatch movie that was made

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:12 am »
There is a sound and the green text, as far as I know. But they have some drawbacks: They disappear after some time, no matter what happens to the bow.. Since you can play Soldat without sound (eg. listen to music instead), but you hardly can play it without video, only a visible indicator will be sufficient. And the problem with the text is, that you don't know when the bow is lost.. ..and it's too big!
What about displaying a 'small' bow-symbol in a screencorner, when the bow is in use??
A continuous symbol is better than state-change-symbols, because you can't miss it, if it's always displayed.

I'm not really confidable concerning rambomatches, so yes, it would be nice to have someone, who actually plays that mode more frequently.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 06:50:05 pm »
We have flag indicators that show whether the flag is stolen or not. I think this would be useful in Rambomatch too because like Dr.Penicz said, the text alerts disappear after a while. The indicator could be made more informative, and show not only bow status (dropped or taken), but also things like carrier's name, time until bow expires and respawns, type of arrows currently equipped if you're Rambo.