Author Topic: Primary weapon choice before game startup  (Read 3460 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Primary weapon choice before game startup
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:46 am »
You can press weapon menu button to disable/enable the menu from popping up after each death right? But the first time you join, or after a mapchange, it doesn't remember your choise of weapon and the menu will pop up even if you had locked your choise in the previous map.
I suggest to add Primary weapon here aswell, and maybe an option to disable weapons menu by default

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:57:51 am by homerofgods »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: Primary weapon choice before game startup
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »
I'll send a 10 euro donation to the developer(s) who implements that.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 12:44:48 pm »
10 euro from me aswell

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »
I think there needs to be some discussion on this first.

Aren't players switching primary weapons quite often compared to secondaries?
If there is an issue with the weapons menu after map change (the two issues you mentioned) why not fix these instead of adding more options?
I guess that would give you 50% of what you ask for (only need to select weapon once when you join).
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
In gathers we want to be able to quickly move out to battle, so if there's a mapchange or a restart (!r), we want soldat to remember our weapon choice.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »
If there is an issue with the weapons menu after map change (the two issues you mentioned) why not fix these instead of adding more options?
Well maybe I should clarify it.
Pick weapon and it will remember it. Just like a normal respawn but on map change as well.
You only need to pick a weapon on join.
Rules

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 02:17:36 pm »
Just add 2-3 modifiable favorite weapon kits.

A kit is a bundle of : primary weapon + secondary weapon
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 02:22:35 pm »
Code: [Select]
<Shoozza> it would remember the last weapon
<Shoozza> and you can hide the weapons menu like you already to after first picking it
<Shoozza> (it == the weapon)
<Shoozza> alternatively make it show on map change
<Shoozza> but with your current weapon preselected<Shoozza> so you can click outside to hide it

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2014, 03:00:55 pm »
One issue I see with clicking outside to hide the weapons menu on join is that people could do it by accident and then they cannot choose their weapon anymore.

Just add 2-3 modifiable favorite weapon kits.

A kit is a bundle of : primary weapon + secondary weapon

I would like to avoid additional options for now.
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »
One issue I see with clicking outside to hide the weapons menu on join is that people could do it by accident and then they cannot choose their weapon anymore.
You can allready do that after each respawn, so making it work like this after a mapchange aswell is just consistency, right?

I noticed another thing though. There's a small delay for the weapon menu to show up after a death. Maybe make it pop up instantly after a death? That's probbably why I started to hide weapons menu in the first place

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2014, 03:16:15 pm »
Could it be that the delay is there for instant respawns so you don't close it accidentally because you keep clicking?
Rules

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2014, 03:36:33 pm »
Could it be that the delay is there for instant respawns so you don't close it accidentally because you keep clicking?
Yes, you're right, it needs to be there

How about this:
Pressing any number (1-9) while alive will choose a primary gun for next respawn.
Pressing CTRL+(1-4) while alive will choose a secondary gun for next respawn.

The weapons menu will then not need to pop up after map change, or even pop up at all
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 06:02:51 pm by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2014, 06:40:50 pm »
What about average or new players though? I don't think they would like it if they don't get to pick their weapon after map change. How about adding a start-up timer on start of a new map or round? So everyone gets a few seconds to ready-up and then all start at the same time.

How about this:
Pressing any number (1-9) while alive will choose a primary gun for next respawn.
Pressing CTRL+(1-4) while alive will choose a secondary gun for next respawn.

The weapons menu will then not need to pop up after map change, or even pop up at all
Honestly, I always found it clunky the way current weapon selection works, and what you're suggesting is a solid step towards improving this.

I'd also suggest allowing player to select a weapon AFTER he has respawned but with weapon menu disabled, as long as player does not press any buttons except Ctrl and numbers. This way weapon selection won't be as strictly tied to respawn and activating/deactivating weapon menu, and players will have some time to pick a weapon before or after respawn regardless of whether menu is opened or closed.

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2014, 07:52:40 pm »
I like to make sure people know that they can change weapons and a visible weapons menu is the best way to do so.
Anything else will get really confusing especially with 1,2,3 etc keys since they are used for other stuff too.

Lets not make stuff more complicated.
Rules

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2014, 11:53:26 pm »
I like to make sure people know that they can change weapons and a visible weapons menu is the best way to do so.
Weapons menu gets in the way, blocks your view, prevents you from doing anything at the start, all while your soldier has already spawned on the map and can (and sometimes will) get killed before you even pick a weapon. This is not a good way to handle weapon selection.

Anything else will get really confusing especially with 1,2,3 etc keys since they are used for other stuff too.
1,2,3 keys are not used for anything other than selecting weapons. Yes, they're also used in taunts, but so are WASDQRF, so that argument doesn't work. I don't see how selecting weapons with a weapon menu or without a weapon menu is going to interfere or be confusing in any way, especially if some visual feedback is given when a weapon selected.

When you press Tab - a message is displayed in chat, saying "Weapon Menu enabled/disabled". Same way a message can be displayed saying "You will respawn with [primary] and [secondary]", or "Your primary weapon has been changed to [weapon]".

Lets not make stuff more complicated.
How is it complicated? I think it's the opposite - it makes weapon selection simpler. I often had problems where I had weapon menu appear when I didn't want it to, or not appear when I want it to. Primarily because the surroundings change quickly - one moment you want to take your time and pick another weapon, and the next moment you want the weapon menu gone the hell away because OMG THEYRE STEALING OUR FLAG.

Allowing player select a weapon before or after respawn, regardless of whether weapon menu is enabled or disabled, and without restricting the player with said menu is much quicker and more reliable to the player.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2014, 04:48:14 am »
So to clarify a bit:
If you don't want to disable weapons menu, everything would be as normal. The menu would pop up after each death, and it would pop up after a map change.
You can click outside the menu to choose the gun you have allready selected, and I think we should add shoozza's suggestion of being able to click outside the menu after a map change too.

If you use disable weapons menu on a daily basis, shoozza's suggestion will not help as much as you'd think. here's why:
Let's say a new map in a gather just started and you want to get mooving as fast as possible..
The weapon menu pops up and you can either choose a weapon with your keyboard or with your mouse, or just close it by clicking outside the menu.
I personally would choose my weapon with keyboard buttons, even if it's the same gun as I allready got in my hand.
-Clicking outside the menu feels risky because what if you accedently click on another weapon
-Clicking outside the menu can also lead you to fire a shot you didn't intend to, maybe you picked a steyr and accidently fired one shot. That would be irritating and I would reload.
-Sometimes I kinda don't remember what gun I had picked, because when the menu pops up my brain is thinking I have to choose something. Clicking outside the menu will seam unsafe to my brain, I'd rather spam the [4] button to make sure I select the steyr.

Now, let's pretend you could select a gun even when you're alive by using (1-9) and that weapon menu stay hidden after a mapchange if you have disabled the menu.
Let's say you are in a casual public game, and you have learned how to disable weapons menu. You choose your gun when you join and disable the menu. You play around with spas for a while but decide to change to barret because the map is huge. Normally you'd have to: [Enable weapons menu], [Wait until you are dead], [Choose barret from the menu], [Disable weapons menu]. Do you think you can do all this without getting distracted and maybe get killed because of a weapon change? Instead you should be able to just press [8] for barret, and you will have it on your next spawn. Maybe some kind of indicator would be nice to show what gun you selected. A white text with the name of the gun perhaps? The text could fade away after 1 second, it doesn't need to be there all the time.

True, some has theese for taunts, but tauns can easily be changed.