Author Topic: Weapons Select Menu  (Read 9641 times)

Offline Dr.Penicz

• Major
Re: Weapons Select Menu
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 11:12:01 am »
Ok, I think we need less vibrant colors for #4.
Even less?? I always tune the gamma to 9544.5% to actually see something on the screen.. ..Okay maybe blue and green, but only a tiny bit. Red any yellow are okay, I think.

Maybe add transparency for the selected weapons colors?
+1

I wonder if weapons could be closer together so the weapons menu doesn't take the whole screen space.
Don't squeeze it again. Now it looks like a banner wrapping around the whole screen.

The "Choose weapon" text could be placed on top (unless this will be a thing now in all ingame menus... still more difficult to read imho).
Would break banner, steal space, and looks nice when being vertical (maybe rotate the letters + text!?). You don't have to be asian to be able to read that.. And talking about uniform menus, it wasn't that important yet, cause this one is eg. the only one with icons.. ..There are more important distingtive features, when it comes to the new menus..

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2014, 06:22:33 pm »
I think color vibrancy is fine for the most part. You could tone down red, green and yellow just a tiiiny bit, but I think blue is perfect. Green is definitely just a bit too vibrant.

I'm against making weapons closer together though - it'll just look cluttered like the current weapon menu is, and it won't free up enough space on the screen to actually make a difference. The vertical "Choose Weapon" text also looks fine to me as it is now. I'll just quote Dr.Penicz here:
Would break banner, steal space, and looks nice when being vertical (maybe rotate the letters + text!?). You don't have to be asian to be able to read that.. And talking about uniform menus, it wasn't that important yet, cause this one is eg. the only one with icons.. ..There are more important distingtive features, when it comes to the new menus..

-----------

That aside though, there is a problem with the vertical weapon menu layout: Depending on which team you're on and the layout of your spawn, the weapon menu can put you at a small disadvantage against the other team. If you spawn on the right side of the map - you won't be able to see what's on your left due to weapon menu covering up the screen, while the team spawning on the left won't have that issue. ctf_Laos is a perfect example.
The solution here is to either go with a horizontal layout like in the original concept, or have the vertical menu appear on the opposite side of the screen for the opposite team.

Offline dodo001

• Major(1)
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2014, 11:23:46 am »
Idea #2 is very good!

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 06:06:56 pm »
Updated...

Here's all the .PSDs.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/91srnrzex303ki7/AAAtdvJJrlovV-6gvBsp6Hawa

I did my best. Go ahead!
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:41 pm »
I like idea 5.
Personally I don't think I need the Choose Weapon bar on the left side at all.
Sorry to alter your image, but maybe something like this:?

Without the left bar and without the red lines

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 07:31:27 pm »
Just what I thought as well, homerofgods. (:

I usually don't even use a background. Maybe you should do an altered version with a stroke for this box and without a the black faded background (the red background's good).

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 08:15:04 pm »
The "Choose weapon" text could be placed on top (unless this will be a thing now in all ingame menus... still more difficult to read imho).

Yeah, looks aggravating in vertical text.

Sometimes paying attention to the scene around you is important when choosing a weapon, and the vibrant colors seem distracting to a degree (especially on a 640x480, less space, more draw).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 08:17:46 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 11:29:19 pm »
I don't mind it if the menu isn't fullscreen, like in idea #5, but the minimum size should still be like in idea #4 so the weapons aren't so close together. Keep in mind that the weapon icons in the new version are slightly larger, so they'll need a bit more space in-between to look good.

I'd say make each weapon row 30 pixels high. Then you have 14 weapons * 30px = 420px high, and you have another 60 pixels left for Primary/Secondary weapon (make them 20 pixels high like on your mockups, then you have another 20 pixels to spare).