Author Topic: [New Default Graphics] - Pickup Kits feedback thread  (Read 15345 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: [New Default Graphics] - Pickup Kits feedback thread
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
Akinaro, all you're saying is how I should stop what I'm doing and how useless and unnecessary that is. This is not "liking" or "disliking" - this is off-topic.

You've shown you have a good eye for visuals in your map remakes, I imagine you understand how color, contrast and shapes work. I want you to give me constructive criticism based on your experience with art and visuals. I don't mind if you absolutely hate them and I don't expect you to lick anyone's butt. Is contrast better or worse? Are the icons too blurry? Are they harder to notice against certain types of backgrounds? Are they hard to tell apart? Do the icons clearer reflect the powers they give to the player?

If you think this mod is that pointless and isn't worthy of your valuable time - just stop posting and move on. I've heard your opinion the first time, I'm aware of it, and I still intend to keep going. In the end if nobody will like the new graphics - that's my problem. I'm fully aware of that too. With that cleared up, let's get back on topic and not trash up this thread more than it already is.

there are better modified kits in different mods, so i'd have to say F11 and just use the ones from different mods as default
Can you point me to any specific mods that have nice kit icons? If we find something that everyone can agree on - I can try to contact the authors and get permission to use their icons, or at least use them as a base or inspiration.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:14:37 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2014, 06:17:59 pm »
Please stay on topic I don't want to waste my time reading offtopic stuff here.

I don't like the darker red line detail. It makes me pay too much attention to the medi kits.

Nice to see you working on the bonus kits now.
A side by side comparison would be really handy for better feedback.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

DarkCrusade

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 10:25:23 pm »
Loner, try Landwarrior 3 by Tael. It has quite decent pick-up kit graphics!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 03:25:58 am »
Loner, try Landwarrior 3 by Tael. It has quite decent pick-up kit graphics!
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=15852.0

DarkCrusade

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »
Another step further: here's the pick-up kits, all strings attached!

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 12:36:31 am »
Theese looks almost post apocalyptic, don't think they fit the default soldat style atm

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2016, 12:29:38 am »
Made some changes to the vest kit and medkit, and included a test version of predator kit. Please try them in-game and tell me what you think.

Extract the contents of the .zip file into your Soldat\mods\ folder and run Soldat with "UHD pickups v0.3" mod.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 12:31:54 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2016, 06:53:52 am »
- Flamer is super cool! I would want a little more empty space between the surrounding stuff and the flame inside. When I first saw it I was like YES! I can feel the power of the powerup comming from inside the box, and the surrounding stuff is like surrounding energy distorting the air or something. https://murrayashmole.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/atom1.png
Also, it kinda looks like the whole thing is at 50% opacity. Could use just a little more contrast of clear colors? http://i.imgur.com/vUMCiyO.jpg

- Berserker is super cool as well, I don't know what else to do with it

- Nades and cluster nades are fine. It would be cool to see the same type of non-square box with some seethrough parts as with berserker and flamer. But seriously they are fine.

- Then there is the bulletproof vest. I need some time to think through what I want to give as feedback. I think the surrounding box color is too light compared to the vest icon inside. Also, I don't know if the vest itself is perfectly made yet, my gf thought it was a hat. Then again she said my gostek looked like Winnie the Poh :p
I will give it some thoughts and maybe discuss it with Bungle, he allways makes me think clearer.
http://i.imgur.com/JCgqAjO.png
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:32:06 am by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2016, 12:21:33 pm »
@homerofgods, Glad that you liked the flamer and berserker but they're not mine and I have no idea where you got them from. :D Can you link or upload the ones you were using?

- Non-square kits would be interesting as a mod, but since the actual hitbox is square - the graphic has to be square as well.

- I can make vest's box color a bit darker, but I don't want to make it too dark otherwise it'll blend with certain darker backgrounds. I want to keep grenade/cluster/vest style more or less consistent since they fall under "equipment" group - you pick it up and it stays there until you use it all up. Unlike time-limited flamer/predator/berserker which can (and should) have their own style.

- Not sure what to do about the icon itself though. Since the kit is affected by physics - it can land sideways or upside-down and can look confusing to new players. So I'm wondering whether this can be fixed at all.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:09:34 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2016, 12:25:08 pm »
I think he still had graphic from here:
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=44205.0

But Its hilarious because flamer graphic was just quick made small flame spark that I just resized xD But still that atom idea is really good.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2016, 02:25:35 am »
I must have gotten it from that post yea :p
I disagree about the need to have square graphics, it doesn't matter much on this small scale. In worst case it will be like the flag, you can grab it before you actually touch it.
I also really like the atom idea and I want to see ybique or round shapes for all bonuses, especially since it can land sideways too.
I don't think there should be a difference in style between equipment group and others, that's something I would never think about unless you told me so it's creating unnecessary restrictions.

I'm sorry I gave feedback on wrong stuff :p  I will get you some feedback aswell later
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:33:20 am by homerofgods »