Author Topic: Supine position  (Read 24385 times)

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
Supine position
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:54:57 am »
As the title suggests, this is a move that would allow you lay in a supine position (as opposed to prone, where you lay in a prone position).

Shooting in prone in mid-air, especially while jetting, allows you to attack while moving in.

Shooting in supine in mid-air would allow you to attack while retreating.

In terms of functionality, it'd be identical to prone. Doable in mid-air, works in conjunction with jet, etc.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
Re: Supine position
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 01:44:36 pm »
this sounds awesome and if it can work would be awesome!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 05:27:30 pm »
That's a pretty major change that will significantly affect mid-air combat. For the better or worse though - I don't know, but it's an interesting idea for sure.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:04:43 pm »
Any DEVs want to comment on this or maybe bistoufly could give his thoughts on this ;) ?

So basically if we are running backwards and jump+jet+hit prone we would do this move? Would this work? I want to know because it sounds pretty cool!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 04:48:58 pm »
Probably an interesting move. Let's gather some more thoughts on that.

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 06:16:02 pm »
So basically if we are running backwards and jump+jet+hit prone we would do this move? Would this work? I want to know because it sounds pretty cool!
Yeah, it'd work exactly like prone does except your body would be facing up. I'm sure the development side of it would require little more than copy-pasting prone's code.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 10:18:03 am »
This sounds like something which could actually be of benefit to the game, as long as it's applied in a consequent and well working fashion.

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:05 pm »
Looks like interesting idea, however i would really like to see it made better than animations in storm2d. I really hate these new riggid animations by Transhuman. They remind me Monthy Python a little bit, but are awful and creepy.

Soldat look much more smooth and solid. I hope, if it will be the future feature of Soldat, it will be look as good as all other positions in the game.
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline BKT

• Major
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:07:19 am »
Although it sounds like a cool idea, but giving a move that simultaneously increase both offensive and defensive capability for the escaping player is just insane if you ask me, given how the game works...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:09:36 am by BKT »
Owned by player with high ping = Blame the ping.
Keep getting owned when playing on the other side of the world and got high ping = Blame the ping.

Make sense...

Offline Izzy Rose (PL)

• Soldier
  • I am tank! Get out my way!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 08:52:29 am »
Although it sounds like a cool idea, but giving a move that simultaneously increase both offensive and defensive capability for the escaping player is just insane if you ask me, given how the game works...

Hmm... Let's imagine it. Flagger is flying and jeting in supine position, while, for e.g. 3 defenders chase him in superman (prone jet) position. And they are shooting to each other. Doesn't it look kinda stupid?  ;D

I think it is very important adnotation, BKT.
Ingame known as just Izzy
[Barret]/
+

Offline iAmBullet

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major
  • War doesn't determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
It would certainly change the movement aspect of gameplay, but it's not really necessary imo. Proning isn't really faster than cannonballing, which is preferred over proning anyways when you're running away from people.
I still would like to see it implemented because I could think of some pretty interesting combinations and new movement idea's right now.

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2015, 08:49:27 pm »
Add this for 1.6.9 please.

Since 'x' is the default control for prone; make 'c' the default control for supine. Pressing either x or c while in prone or supine will return to standing position.

If it doesn't catch on, you can always remove it in 1.7.0.

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 01:24:07 pm »
What's happening with this

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 07:15:35 pm »
There's literally no reason to not add this, aside from fear of changing the status quo.

Awaiting input as to the status of this addition from the dev team.

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 07:23:27 pm »
With infinite ressources you might be right. However, developer number and time is limited, so priorities need to be set. I believe currently the focus is set differently. The supine position may be a good feature for old players, but I think new players won't choose this game more likely because of it - while on the other hand the graphical improvements seem like a big positive change for both old and new players
Adding this feature isn't as easy as you might think, it would surely take the devs several weeks to implement the new position including controls, network code, possibly scriptcore support, testing, and probably 2-3 alpha versions to fix the bugs.

I suppose if there ever comes a time where developer ressources are free, this can be considered again
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 07:25:10 pm by TheOne »

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 04:42:20 am »
With infinite ressources you might be right. However, developer number and time is limited, so priorities need to be set. I believe currently the focus is set differently. The supine position may be a good feature for old players, but I think new players won't choose this game more likely because of it - while on the other hand the graphical improvements seem like a big positive change for both old and new players
Adding this feature isn't as easy as you might think, it would surely take the devs several weeks to implement the new position including controls, network code, possibly scriptcore support, testing, and probably 2-3 alpha versions to fix the bugs.

I suppose if there ever comes a time where developer ressources are free, this can be considered again
What are you even talking about. It's basically a carbon copy of prone and requires little more than copy/pasting prone's code and substituting a few variables.

It could probably be done in 30 minutes.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2015, 04:52:38 am »
What are you even talking about. It's basically a carbon copy of prone and requires little more than copy/pasting prone's code and substituting a few variables.

It could probably be done in 30 minutes.

+ making animations for gostek
+checking if it doesnt affect other animations smoothness(transition from one to another)
+ setting up controls
+checking how it would affect other gameplay, especially one of biggest, climb community
+spending time on testing if it doesnt mess anything
+ time for beta test
+ checking again if its work

Not everything seems so easy like copy-paste :]

Also I dont see the point of it. For now there is no problem to turn around and shoot, also when you run backward you gain more speed and you can make cannon ball to even make more speed and after that just prone and shoot, AND STILL MOVE BACKWARD.

I do this all the time and its not that hard...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:57:10 am by Akinaro »

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:58 am »
+ making animations for gostek
Oh, sorry. Forgot about gostek animations, which largely already exist in the game; it consists of first part of backwards roll into an upside down prone, so just a couple of frames to transition animations which are already made.

+checking if it doesnt affect other animations smoothness(transition from one to another)
Why would it if the animations already exist in the game.

+ setting up controls
Controls would be default 'c' and would work exactly like 'x' does for prone.

+checking how it would affect other gameplay, especially one of biggest, climb community
It will definitely affect gameplay; that's the whole idea.
Don't fear change. Do you want the gameplay to never evolve and include only some logical movements but not others?
Remember, this is a feature that could've been included in the inception of the game.

+spending time on testing if it doesnt mess anything
Why should it mess anything when the functionality is almost exactly like prone but facing up instead of down

+ time for beta test
Sounds a lot like the above

+ checking again if its work
Again, like the above; you just said testing, beta testing, then testing again.

Not everything seems so easy like copy-paste :]

Also I dont see the point of it. For now there is no problem to turn around and shoot, also when you run backward you gain more speed and you can make cannon ball to even make more speed and after that just prone and shoot, AND STILL MOVE BACKWARD.

I do this all the time and its not that hard...

The point is that it's a logical movement that should be included in the game. No one is saying that the above is hard or not doable, or even that it should be discontinued; just that this move should exist as well.
On the contrary, it's more realistic if someone has jetpacks to go into a supine position and shoot attackers instead of cannon-balling, turning around, proning in mid-air, shooting, then turning back and cannonballing again.

Come on, these aren't reasons not to implement this; they're just excuses.
TL;DR: You claim 'it takes a lot of time/resources', which isn't true; I guarantee the developers can probably easily add this in a fraction of the time it takes to HDify the game.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 11:48:04 am »
@%: Is this the old discussion of "can this be added to the game?" I am glad I never got to see the Soldat source code, because I would undoubtedly have nightmares about it.

How about asking the guys who do the coding?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 11:56:06 am »
Be our Guest %%%%%%% and start working on animation, there are tools to make animations of gostek in forum fan apps.

But... you have 30 minutes to do this... because its so easy right?

And why do you need to care about other games mode and communities? who care about players if few people want this? Who care, just do it right?

And like DarkCrusade, I would not like to see code of soldat...

I think that most of people think that soldat is made just like quake or unreal, with nice, cool editor, fancy addons and simple compilers, and changing something is just ctr+c ctr+v