Author Topic: [New Default Graphics] - Miscellaneous graphics v0.3.2  (Read 18816 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
[New Default Graphics] - Miscellaneous graphics v0.3.2
« on: November 11, 2014, 05:49:19 pm »
These are just a bunch of random graphics that I modified, hoping to improve them enough to include in the next Soldat version. Improved graphics include scoreboard flag and star icons, new flag textures, "missing flag" icons, minimap dots and more.

LATEST VERSION:
Misc Graphics v0.3.2 ; Changelog

OLD VERSIONS:
Misc Graphics v0.1 ; Changelog below.
Misc Graphics v0.2 ; Changelog
Misc Graphics v0.3 ; Changelog
Misc Graphics v0.3.1 ; Changelog

Misc Graphics v0.1

===========  Interface-gfx:

arrow.bmp - The little triangle that appears above player's head. No major changes, just cleaned it up a bit.

back.bmp - Background used in scoreboard and weapons menu. Original image was more detailed, but because it was also stretched out multiple times its size in-game - all that detail becomes an ugly blurry mess. This new image is just solid color with darker lines on the side, which looks much cleaner and less pixelated.

bot.bmp - Scoreboard icon that replaces ping for bots. Original icon was an image of a computer. New one is a clear label that says "BOT", which in my opinion is easier to understand.

cursor.bmp - Crosshair. Cleaned it up a bit, made the dot in the center more precise, and improved visibility against bright backgrounds.

deaddot.bmp - Little icon in the scoreboard that appears to the left of the player name when the player has died. New icon has a little red skull in it.

dot.bmp - Ping dot in the top-right corner. Remade from scratch to make it cleaner.

flag.bmp - Flag caps icon in the scoreboard. Made it look more like a flag and less like some weird axe.

noflag.bmp - "Flag Missing" icon in the bottom-right side of the screen when the flag is lost or stolen. I also included an alternative version with an exclamation mark beside the flag, let me know which you like better. See noflag v2.bmp in the .zip.

scroll.png - The little blinking arrow on the right side of the scoreboard that appeared when scoreboard was too long. Before it was a Windows XP arrow. Now it's more Soldat-styled, and also tells you which keys are used to scroll the scoreboard.

smalldot.bmp - Little circle icon that shows you, your teammates and flags on the minimap. It also appears to the left of your name in the scoreboard. Cleaned it up a bit, improved alignment with deaddot, made it better visible.

star.bmp - Registered users star. No changes, just cropped the image a bit to improve the alignment.

=========== Textures

flag.bmp - CTF, HTF and Pointmatch flag texture. Cleaned it up a bit and made it more proportional to flag size. Original texture was square.

infflag.bmp - INF flag texture. Same changes as above, but I also added a little Transhuman Design logo onto it because why not.

=========== Sparks-gfx

jetfire.bmp - new jet flame graphic. Completely remade it and made more symmetrical compared to the original. The new one is more flat, but I also included an alternative version which is more round. See jetfire v2.bmp in the .zip.

I would really appreciate your feedback on these. Especially the jet flames - I tried a lot of different versions but I'm not sure if they're any better, so I could really use more opinions. If you know of a mod that has even better replacements for some of these graphics - please link it in the comments.

----------

« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 03:31:34 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: [New Default Graphics] - Miscellaneous graphics feedback
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 08:39:00 pm »

arrow.bmp - I don't see any changes at all, what did you clean up?
back.bmp - Looks good
bot.bmp - I am unsure about the color and size and the black border, it might be all good though, and deffenetly better than a computer.
cursor.bmp - A little better, but both the current and this is too big for me. I would allways change to a smaller one
deaddot.bmp - Interresting, I had the same idea. I do not use the black border around the scull though
dot.bmp - Better
flag.bmp - I think it can be improved
noflag.bmp - I don't like either one of them
scroll.png - It's not centered for me (854x480) but not a problem. Very good idea. Can you make it smaller?
smalldot.bmp - When you die, the deaddot will be directly under it, I guess it's unavoidable because of minimap.
star.bmp - You could make allignment even better by having 1 or 2 pixel rows of green above the star.

=========== Textures:

flag.bmp - I don't know so I will just show you how it looks (the red one is folded)
infflag.bmp - That looks cool, but not when flag is folded.

=========== Sparks-gfx:

jetfire.bmp - The first one is not bad. The edges feels more defined I think. If I choose red jet it kinda looks like I'm bleeding.
The second one is square because you did something wrong

[EDIT]
I uploaded a deaddot.bmp and smalldot.bmp with better allignment
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:07:45 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 12:27:20 am »
I think the star icon needs to be removed and replaced with something more flashy that'll get someones attention and fits the soldat theme. but that 12x12 resolution really puts a limit on what you can do.

I also think the csgo layout for cursor is pretty neat.

dot should just say 'ping', less confusing for new players

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:27:30 pm »
Miscellaneous Graphics v0.2

=========== Interface-gfx:
arrow.bmp - It seems I included the original graphic in v0.1, not sure why I didn't save the modified one. :/ Either way the changes are minimal - I just made the pixels at the top symmetrical, for the OCD's sake.

flag.bmp - While working on it and trying to improve it, I realized that it's not actually displayed at a proper size in the scoreboard. :/ This is what I'm talking about: http://bugs.soldat.pl/view.php?id=601
Not sure how to solve this yet.

star.bmp - added a couple of extra pixels on the top to improve alignment. However the star icon is affected by the same problem as the flag icon, so we'll still need a solution for that.

=========== Textures:
flag.bmp - made edges white and blurry as opposed to dark and sharp. This should improve the way flag looks when folded.
infflag.bmp - same changes as above. Also included an alternative checkerboard version like the original texture.

I don't think folded flags will ever look great unless they're just solid color. They need better physics, shading, and more polygons. So when they're not affected by momentum - they should still flap in the wind a bit instead of hanging limp.

===========  Sparks-gfx:

jetfire.bmp - fixed the alternative version so it has rounded corners. Left the first one unchanged though. Still not sure which one I prefer.

What exactly do you not like? I can't really improve them if I don't know what to improve. To me they seem fine.

scroll.png - It's not centered for me (854x480) but not a problem. Very good idea. Can you make it smaller?
AFAIK it never was centered and was always a bit closer to the bottom of the scoreboard. How should I make it smaller - the entire thing or just the lines? It's hard to make the icons in the middle any smaller because then the text will be unreadable. I could make the lines smaller, but I kinda like them as they are - they make it look a bit like a scrollbar.

smalldot.bmp - When you die, the deaddot will be directly under it, I guess it's unavoidable because of minimap.
I actually like that the skull and the dot appear in the same spot - less clutter and less space wasted (pretty sure player will know when he's dead). I'd rather leave it that way. Also the dot has to be centered in the image instead of being in the corner, otherwise it'll be in the wrong position on the minimap.

I think the star icon needs to be removed and replaced with something more flashy that'll get someones attention and fits the soldat theme. but that 12x12 resolution really puts a limit on what you can do.

I also think the csgo layout for cursor is pretty neat.

dot should just say 'ping', less confusing for new players
I never played CS:GO. What's its cursor like?

I tried adding "Ping" to the ping dot, but it was near-unreadable and badly pixelated because there's no aliasing when the dot changes size. I still included it in v0.2 as an alternative though, so you can try it out if you want. I also made a version that's very similar to this. This one looks a bit better at smaller sizes and should still make sense to most players.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:54:16 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »
dot.bmp Writing 'ping' was a failure, and the one you got now looks like a keyhole :p
Maybe try something like this? *uploaded a quickly made preview for you

smalldot.bmp I normally don't use minimap, but just incase you didn't know, it seams to me that a few pixels is almost irrelevant to the dots position on the minimap, it does however look out of linement in F1 menu

=========== Textures:
flag.bmp and infflag.bmp White and blurry edges did the trick. I really like the chessboard style, aswell as the transhuman sign, not sure how to further improve it, it looks good even when folded.

===========  Sparks-gfx:
jetfire.bmp I think I like the original better but here's a comparison:
http://i.imgur.com/5qp9DQX.png

What exactly do you not like? I can't really improve them if I don't know what to improve. To me they seem fine.
Your flags has grown on me so this is gonna sound two-sided, I like your flags now but this was what I was thinking some days ago:
I don't like the x-mark to say the flag is missing, I'd rather see a symbol that represent something is missing, like a scull for example. The flags themselves are too square for me, *uploaded an example of a good looking flag from 0V - RSV2
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 06:40:39 pm by homerofgods »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »
What's happening here? anything new?
Please test it and give feedback people!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 02:32:22 pm »
A small update:

I've attached new scoreboard flag and star icons at the bottom of this comment. The new icons were adjusted to be smaller, to accommodate this fix in the upcoming version. 1.6.8 version does not have this fix in place though, so the icons will appear very tiny there.

@homerofgods: That ping icon looks much better, but it also has transparency... in a .BMP. How did you do that? o_O I can't even open the image in Photoshop because it can't parse the file.
The flag icon looks nice in your post, but not so much in-game aunfortunately. :/ In-game it's upscaled to about twice the size, the color is much darker and aliasing is a lot more noticeable. This is why I went with a more simple straight shape in my version, so there's no aliasing and so the shape is easier to understand.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 02:35:02 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:37 pm »
I got the .png from here and just changed its file extension to .bmp   more info

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 05:14:50 pm »
Interesting. I'd like to use a smoother graphic for ping and this seems like an easy workaround, but I'm not sure if the devs would want such a "dirty" fix used in vanilla soldat. Would be nice if one of the devs could comment on that.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:39 am »
Is this ok? Perhaps you can improve on it. make it bigger and stuff
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:28:13 am by homerofgods »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 05:28:38 am »
Lo[one]r is the star and the flag icon good now?

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 07:27:21 am »
Looks like the number of caps and the flag are overlapping.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 11:32:49 am »
Lo[one]r is the star and the flag icon good now?
http://i.imgur.com/Sx3XPbr.png
Geez, when will people learn to write my name right.. :P

Anyway, you're using the old images. I posted the resized ones a few comments earlier but since I did that before 1.6.9 beta was available - I couldn't test them in-game so the spacing was off. I adjusted the images to have proper spacing and made some changes to other graphics as well. Here's the changelog with new graphics attached below:

Miscellaneous Graphics v0.3

=========== Interface-gfx:

arrow.bmp - no changes since previous version.
The little triangle that appears above player's head. Very minor cleanup of the original graphic.

back.bmp - no changes since previous version.
A simpler, cleaned-up version of scoreboard and weapon menu backgrounds, to avoid ugly pixelation due to extreme upscaling.

bot.bmp - changed it back to an image-based icon (without text, to avoid translation issues). Try it in-game and let me know if the icon is easy to understand.

cursor.bmp - no changes since previous version.
Small tweaks to make the cursor cleaner and better visible against bright backgrounds.

deaddot.bmp - no changes since previous version.
Little icon in the scoreboard that appears to the left of dead player's name. New icon has a little red skull in it.

dot.bmp - used homerofgods' version from this post, but remade from scratch, made it a bit smoother and added shading.

flag.bmp - downsized version for v1.6.9b1 with improved spacing.

noflag.bmp - attached the version included in 1.6.9b1 as default.

scroll.png - removed the white lines above and below the image to improve alignment.

smalldot.bmp - no changes since previous version.
Little circle icon that shows you, your teammates and flags on the minimap. It also appears to the left of your name in the scoreboard. Cleaned it up a bit, improved alignment with deaddot, made it better visible.

star.bmp - downsized version for v1.6.9b1 with improved spacing, improved shading.

=========== Textures

flag.bmp - no changes since previous version.
CTF, HTF and Pointmatch flag texture. Cleaned it up a bit and made it more proportional to flag size. Original texture was square.

infflag.bmp - no changes since previous version.
INF flag texture. Same changes as above, but I also added a little Transhuman Design logo onto it because why not. Also included a classic checker-board style INF flag at the root of the .zip file.

=========== Sparks-gfx

jetfire.bmp - no changes since previous version.
New jet flame graphic. Completely remade it and made more symmetrical compared to the original. The new one is more flat, but I also included an alternative version which is more round. See jetfire.bmp at the root of the .zip.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 03:53:57 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2015, 03:52:01 am »
-bot.bmp looks awsum!
-dot.bmp I shouldn't be the one to say anything about it since I suggested the design.
-flag.bmp looks good now
-star.bmp looks good now
-noflag.bmp looks good to me

I still think my skull and smalldot looks better;

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 04:05:40 am by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2015, 06:25:14 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you liked the bots. :)

In regards to small/dead dot - I think your version is easier to understand, but you forgot that smalldot.bmp is also used to show players and objectives on the minimap. The icon has to be symmetrical and centered otherwise it'll look bad on the minimap, unless devs can change them into two separate images - one for scoreboard and one for minimap.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 07:06:20 am »
I forgot about that.
So..
It looks to me we're done feedbacking and tweeking your new graphics.
Shoozza, do you want me to commit the correct interface in trunk?
I suggest adding the old graphics to custom-interfaces folder aswell (though I'm not sure how it will work out due to some folder-prioritising bugs)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 07:10:00 am by homerofgods »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 06:52:48 am »
@homerofgods, yeah please commit the changes.

I'd like to have the classic graphics as well, so sure go ahead. Could you add the folder priority bugs to the bugtracker so I can look into that at some later point?
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:00:30 am »
@homerofgods, yeah please commit the changes.

I'd like to have the classic graphics as well, so sure go ahead. Could you add the folder priority bugs to the bugtracker so I can look into that at some later point?
Ok. Can I ask you to send me all the newest files in a zip L[one]R? To make sure I got them all correct? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 10:24:56 am by homerofgods »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 11:28:11 am »
Will do ;)

Also I only just realized I included explosives with the misc v0.3.zip, so I understand if that made it confusing for you. Sorry :S
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 11:35:53 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:21 pm »
L[one]R sent me an alternative noflag.bmp
Feedback please