Author Topic: Nades not being thrown  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ginn

• Camper
Nades not being thrown
« on: November 17, 2014, 07:29:50 am »
I'm not sure what the issue is, but sometimes nades can't be thrown.

It could be that a wall is too close by to be possible to throw... So the fix would be that you always throw a nade even if a wall is close, only that it immediately bounces on the wall as it's thrown (if you're mor or less inside the wall).

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
Re: Nades not being thrown
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »
I believe this started like 2 versions it was implemented to fix poly abuse i think? Or that nades wouldnt randomly go into walls, the main problem is now like on ctf_Ash for example its harder to throw a nade through the windows.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »
There are more causes than one to this problem. One issue is how the spawn protection works, which doesn't allow you to prepare a throw before the spawn protection ends. Another problem is that the gostek sometimes refuses to throw a grenade when close to a wall, collider or just a door made up of bullet colliding polygons.

In most versions in Soldat's history the grenades used to spawn slightly in front of the player and it could be used to throw grenades through very thin walls. The complaints against this were extremely exaggerated, considering that the kind of maps which had such thin walls always were exclusively played on realistic servers (Realistic/Survival) where you couldn't see the enemy through the wall. That kind of blind nade was well integrated with the gameplay and there wasn't really an issue. If choosing to mapmakers could easily and only with minor adjustments change walls so that a clean throw through it wouldn't have been possible. Still, I think this was the reason that made devs implement a failure to throw grenades when closely facing a wall.

Sadly the game doesn't seem to know the difference between a wall and something concisting of bullet colliding polygons or colliders, like a door you have to go through to enter a bunker on a trenchwar map. The ability to throw grenades while entering used to be an important move for anyone trying to take a bunker in both TW and TTW. This gives campers inside bunkers an unfair advantage as they can both shoot and throw grenades at their enemies before they can do anything but wave their arms in response.
As bullet colliding polygons and colliders are used in all kinds of maps I can also imagine that the same issue occurs in other game modes. It's definatly a bigger problem than whatever was the intention behind the failure to throw grenades.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 04:44:45 pm by Name »

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 01:47:20 pm »
Great info!
It would be nice if someone could link to the bug in the bugtracker with some demo map for easy testing.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 07:14:31 pm »
There is no ticket in mantis at the moment.
Whan you say that the gostek sometimes refuses to throw a grenade when close to a wall, do you mean like this?

(in the gif I try to throw some nades but they won't come until I change my angle a bit to create more space to the roof)
This is lower route on ctf_Cobra btw. And we have/had the same problem with throwing the flag.

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:29 pm »
yup thats what I was talking about, must be to do with the fix that was made to stop nades going through polygons.
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat