Author Topic: Forum Signature Rules  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
Forum Signature Rules
« on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:12 am »
Hey guys,

I just want to bring everyone's attention to the forum rules. In particular, the rules regarding avatars and signatures. For ease of access, I've reposted them below. I realize the quick-reference images are outdated; It's been years since I made them.

The point of this topic is to remind everyone that there are rules regarding avatars and signatures. If you suddenly find your signature or avatar has been changed to reference the rules, please do not replace your signature or avatar with the same one you were using. It was in violation of the rules. Use an image optimizer, resize your images, or find a new image that will comply with the rules.

If your signature or avatar is broken, I will delete that shit.

I have a lot of free time on my hands, so checking your avatar or signature's file size is not a problem for me - neither is issuing a warning.

That said, if your avatar and signature are within regulations then by all means, keep calm and carry on.

Also, if you want to update the avatar and signature rule images, feel free to do so and I'll pop them into the forum rules. You may even get credit for them.

Avatars, Signatures, and other Images/Content.

• (images below your name in the forum) should be no larger than 50kB and 90x90. No BMPs are allowed.

Signatures
  • For signatures, you are allowed only one image in your signature which may not be wider and taller than 300 and 125 pixels, and may not be over 20kB in file size. No BMPs are allowed.

• For text in your signature, you may not have more than 4 lines of text anywhere in the signature, and each line may not be wider than 70 characters.  Text may not be of a larger size than the default.
  • A signature may consist of both text and an image, but in this case, text may not consist of more than 2 lines, and 43 characters in length. The text in question should be aligned directly above/below the image to keep your signature small.
  • New: You may have up to 3 separate userbars in your signature, as long as they're each no taller than 20px  and in total their size is less than 20KB, just like any other signature.  The userbars may not be wider than 400px.  When you use any userbars, you may only have 1 line of text no wider than 100chars.

• We do not allow the use of animated images in your sig, it really detracts from the posts, which should be a persons main focus.  If we find your avatar or signature particularly distracting for any reason, we may ask you to remove it.
  • If we come across broken images we will usually remove the entire sig. It's your responsibilty to ensure images are loading properly, not ours.
  • Affiliate links of any kind are NOT permitted (i.e. PayPal, Outwar, etc.).
  • Also, no image macros are allowed. Image Macros/'Funny' pictures are not allowed here because the Soldat Forums are superior to other forums, thanks to Communism.
  • Members not complying with the signature rules will have their signature or avatar removed, and a warning will be issued. If they replace the images again, or break the signature or avatar rules again, then they will issued a temporary vacation away from the forums.
  • Please use forum code to keep signatures nice and short.

• These signature and avatar rules are guidelines.  They all ultimately come down to the staff's discretion.  Don't argue with us about them, we still don't like that.

Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re: Forum Signature Rules
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Hey.

I wasn't sure where to post this but I would suggest changing the rules for the forum signature. 125*300 seems like a weird format for a signature image since the framework around the post is much wider than 300 pixels. That's a requirement to leave lots of empty space, while 125 pixels of height is still enough to push the boundaries and enlarge the post significantlly. I'd suggest changing it to something of smaller height but much wider, like 80*1000 or whatever fits the frame.

Example:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:30:54 pm by Name »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:46:55 pm »
^ Those dimensions are ridiculous. Not happening.
There are other worlds than these

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 12:09:53 am »
Ridiculous how?

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:39:16 am »
Ridiculous how?

Too huge. People on smaller screens and phones suffer. It also reminds me of all of the really shitty forums with loose signature/avatar rules that look obnoxious. SF has always been easy to read with focus primarily centered on text, and that's partly because of strict signature rules.
There are other worlds than these