Author Topic: People keep comparing my Terraria PVP arena mod to Soldat. Wanna try it out?  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Drixiss

• Major(1)
Hey everyone,

So I have been working on a pretty extensive PvP mod of Terraria for around 4 years now, and I have had a handful of people tell me "oh this reminds me of Soldat!"  I've never personally played Soldat, but I've looked at a few videos and it does look like it could have a similar feel to my mod.  It's basically a fast paced, match based platformer arena game with RPG and MOBA elements built in.  There's a hero picking and leveling system, and a creep/tower system built in as well.  Here's a little trailer for it that I put together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKlfiZGAwvE

Anyways, I've been trying to get the word out about it and get more people willing to playtest it.  I figured that since people keep comparing it to Soldat then maybe the Soldat community might want to give it a shot? It all works wirelessly, you can host a server and have people connect to it.  If you're interested, here's a download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/38u94q7t1klwmqt/bin.rar?dl=0

You can download it and follow the readme directions for single player just to test things out and give it a shot.  You can also add me on Skype (Drixiss) if you want more info or people to play with.  I can put you in our group chat where we discuss the game and play together.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:38:14 pm by Drixiss »

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
NEVER.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Drixiss

• Major(1)
:[ never?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Haha, don't take it personally. At first glance it does remind me of Soldat too, though mostly due to the visuals. What makes Soldat unique is the movement system which has a lot more momentum and different move types (backflips, delayed backflips, kick-jumps, superman-like flying, and more), and that is one of the core components that Terraria is lacking. I'd say it's more similar to TeeWorlds if anything else, which actually has less momentum and has grappling hooks.

The mod looks interesting and well-made though, seems like there's quite a bit of variety and I like the concept of 2D shooter/MOBA. Aside from that and Awesomenauts I can't think of anything else like that. Honestly, I'm surprised Terraria even had mods of such scale since it's closed source and doesn't have modding API.

Personally I play terraria for the building and exploration, so the mod isn't really my cup of tea, but there may be others who might enjoy it. Soldat even had its own mods that added classes and special abilities (Hexer and MagicMod), but I don't know if those servers are even alive anymore.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 07:07:17 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Drixiss

• Major(1)
Yeah, it's no biggie, like I said I've never played Soldat so I don't really know how fair it is to compare the two.  The movment in my mod is very fast paced though, and there are dashes, double jumps, wings, rocket boots and more to give you a lot of options.  It's not really just limited to Terraria stuff, I've added quite a few things of my own as well.  I like to think that it also differentiates itself from Awesomenauts in that fashion, as although it has leveling and creeps and towers, the gameplay feels vastly different from a moba, while I feel like Awesomenauts just focused on making it feel as much like league as possible.  On top of that, Awesomenauts has so little customization for each character...that bugged me when I was trying it out.

In order to make this mod, I actually just decompiled the executable for Terraria and went from there.  It was an arduous process just to figure out the disgusting decompiled code.  I've come a long way though, as I started out just changing which items you could buy and stuff to where I am now, which is just altering the core of what the game is and just reworking it all to fit my use case.  It's been a lot of fun and probably the most satisfying creative process that I've gone through.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 08:12:54 pm by Drixiss »

Offline Name

• Soldier
Haha, don't take it personally. At first glance it does remind me of Soldat too, though mostly due to the visuals. What makes Soldat unique is the movement system which has a lot more momentum and different move types (backflips, delayed backflips, kick-jumps, superman-like flying, and more), and that is one of the core components that Terraria is lacking. I'd say it's more similar to TeeWorlds if anything else, which actually has less momentum and has grappling hooks.
This is what Soldat was like before 2009. Now Soldat is nothing, yet I still play it (with bots!!!) because every game or piece of entertainment in the whole fucking world has also been destroyed.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
This is what Soldat was like before 2009. Now Soldat is nothing, yet I still play it (with bots!!!) because every game or piece of entertainment in the whole fucking world has also been destroyed.

What changed in 2009? Soldat has had the same exact gameplay/core mechanics for over a decade.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
I attempted, and got very damn close to making a Soldat mod for Terraria with the same weapons as Soldat and respawn system, but I never worked out the kinks in the map selection and player spawning... The code is still around somewhere though. It used tConfig though.

Found it the weapons vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-z5QcKN2U

Props to what you made though!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 02:27:09 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Name

• Soldier

What changed in 2009? Soldat has had the same exact gameplay/core mechanics for over a decade.
Well to start with something: the backflips are no longer completely controlable by the player, mid air direction changes aren't as significant as they used to and there are simply a lot less tricks you can do to adjust speed and direction.

Also, what's going on in one moment has absolutely nothing to do with what happens in the next.

If I shoot an enemy in the foot my bullet might suddenly appear from a completely different angle and be directed at the chest. If I dodge a bullet by doing a late backflip the screen warps into a scenario where the bullet hit. If I kill an enemy he can still be on the other side of the map capping a bloody flag.

This also happens in other games though and even in what's supposed to be reality. Dodge a punch IRL and you're instantly warped half a metre to the side, suddenly in a helpless situation with your supposed friends pulling you down to the ground. People act in ways they wouldn't realistically do and everything seems to be designed to make you as bored as possible. Any situation which could lead to something fun suddenly changes into something else.

I suppose the changes to Soldat were designed to make the impossible scenario changes less noticeable, as small details are very noticeable in games. Thus limiting the ways of quickly turning etc to limit the situations one would have to remake. However, it doesn't work. Not in the supposed reality and not in the game either. It's all just absurd and I still demand the ability to wake up from this fake world.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 03:32:11 pm by Name »

Offline Drixiss

• Major(1)
I attempted, and got very damn close to making a Soldat mod for Terraria with the same weapons as Soldat and respawn system, but I never worked out the kinks in the map selection and player spawning... The code is still around somewhere though. It used tConfig though.

Found it the weapons vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-z5QcKN2U

Props to what you made though!

That's cool, dude! But yeah, that's the main reason that I went with just decompiling the code, because you can't really change the underlying game using tconfig.  You can only add things onto it.  I wanted to rip out so many Terraria features and really just use the sprites and basic physics/inventory system.