Author Topic: Inspiring interview with Michał Marcinkowski - Creator of Soldat ENGLISH VERSION  (Read 5546 times)

Offline smolar22

• Major(1)
Hi you can find The newest interview with Michal  Marcinkowski + SOLDAT creator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Cj29xPFJw

Regards,
Lukasz
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 01:09:14 pm by smolar22 »

DarkCrusade

Re: Inspiring interview with Michał Marcinkowski - Creator of Soldat
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 07:20:10 am »
^ only in Polish? Too bad..

Offline smolar22

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 08:47:33 am »
I promise soon will be with English Subtitles :) So I wll come back here once it is translated :)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:15 pm »
I promise soon will be with English Subtitles :) So I wll come back here once it is translated :)

You should come back sooner than later because not everyone here speaks european.
There are other worlds than these

Offline smolar22

• Major(1)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
There are other worlds than these

DarkCrusade

Cool interview, thanks for sharing! :)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Is it bad that I still haven't watched it?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Your loss..?

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
I must admit I expected usual, not very discovering for me interview. Happily I was wrong. MM points a lot of important aspects of how-to get to your goals and achieve success/ make your dreams real perhaps.

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 07:23:37 am »
Great interview. I just wish Michal would turn his attention back to soldat cause the game has gone to shit since 2009.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
Great interview. I just wish Michal would turn his attention back to soldat cause the game has gone to shit since 2009.

I think according to Michal, it (Soldat) might be as finished as he intended it to be.

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 05:16:40 pm »
If so it was as finished as he wanted it to be. Since then the game has been largely destroyed and the player base disappeared.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
If so it was as finished as he wanted it to be. Since then the game has been largely destroyed and the player base disappeared.
how specifically is the game distroyed?

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
how specifically is the game distroyed?
largely

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »
Well, there are lots and lots of moments where the backflips don't get the same angle and speed as they used to, it also happens a lot of the times that the gostek refuses to backflip at all and direction changes aren't as significant as they used to be, bullet deviation is screwed up and the calculation of damage seems to be broken. Shots magically appear from other angles than they should and the whole thing seems unreliable, like any situation can suddenly turn into something else. Players and objects switching places etc. One moment you kill an enemy and in the next he's capping a flag. The failure to throw grenades appears more often and especially at bullet colliding polygons or colliders. Everything is kind of slowed down since you can't cancel animations as used to be possible and running around a map is now more like walking than swift acrobatics.
To be honest there was hardly a single thing in the game which didn't break at one point or another during the years since Michal left programming of Soldat.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 12:24:12 pm by Name »

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2015, 02:30:14 pm »
It's as if everything is indirect. You don't control the exact movements, but rather it's like someone is watching every move and tries to copy it. Very often you end up missing a turn or fail to evade a bullet because of it. If you do manage to evade the bullet the screen warps into a scenario where the bullet hit and this just keeps happening.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
1. backflips don't get the same angle and speed as they used to <-- Could you demo the same move in both 1.6.8 and an earlier version and make a bugreport on it?

2. it also happens a lot of the times that the gostek refuses to backflip at all <-- How to reproduce? Do you mean just the animation?

3. direction changes aren't as significant as they used to be <-- Could you demo it from 1.6.8 and an earlier version?

4. bullet deviation is screwed up <-- Can you elaborate? Is high ping causing this or something else?

5. the calculation of damage seems to be broken <-- How is it broken? What is broken?

6. Shots magically appear from other angles than they should <-- Can it be demoed?

7. Players and objects switching places etc. <-- Demo it and make a bugreport

8. One moment you kill an enemy and in the next he's capping a flag. <-- Demo it and make a bugreport
9. The failure to throw grenades appears more often and especially at bullet colliding polygons or colliders. <-- Do you mean this?

Everything is kind of slowed down since you can't cancel animations as used to be possible and running around a map is now more like walking than swift acrobatics. <-- You can still use pronecancel by tapping nade button

If you can give examples it might be possible to fix some of it :)

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 03:39:40 am »
Man.. I don't have Michal's last version installed and there are just too damn many things to fix. What I would suggest is contacting Michal and reintroducing whatever the version was we had some time around year 2009.

Offline TheOne

• Soldier
Name, we've known each other since some years, and please don't take this personal. Your criticism is in no way constructive, it does not leave any chance for improvement.
- A bug report needs to explain in an understandable way, what is broken in which way. For example, "the calculation of damage seems to be broken". This is like telling an author of a 2000 pages book, that there is some logical error in one of his characters. Even if he reads the entire book three times carefully he will probably not find it, there is too little information in the bug report. Code is much more complex than a book, because it's read non-linearly. Devs can never find what you mention without more information.
- It needs to state or record in what situation the bug occurs. If a bug is not reproducable (means: can not be caused deliberately in order to locate the mistake), it can't be fixed.
- It needs to be validated/reported from several players before it can be considered a real flaw. If only one player of the entire community notices bugs and noone else states he noticed the same, how can a game be broken by it?

All I understand from your comments is that the game is broken for you personally, because it feels different. It also feels different for me, because many players I knew left and because I changed. However that's nothing a developer can fix.

Offline Name

• Soldier
Re:
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 02:18:09 pm »
TheOne:
Well, you always were a worthy opponent aswell as a good team mate in Soldat and your polite ways of expressing yourself made you stand out as a person in comparison to others on chat both in game and on IRC. Also you had some contributions to TTW.
However I do think that you've constantly been supportive of things which weren't good for the game, including updates which really just brought us new bugs. Like said, this is a process which has been going on for years and it hasn't been good.

I am curious about how you think that you changed yourself though.