Author Topic: Soldat in 3D? - an intellectual exercise in game design  (Read 3911 times)

Offline 2sneaky

• Major(1)
Soldat in 3D? - an intellectual exercise in game design
« on: April 24, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »
Hello all, as a massive fan of Soldat and game developer I decided to see how possible it would be to recreate Soldat gameplay using a 3D game engine. For speedy development I decided to make a prototype using Valve's Source engine with Garrysmod for the lua framework and access to Steam Workshop game assets.
After four days of work this is what I came up with - its far from a polished Soldat experience but its an exciting functional proof of concept, if the feedback here is positive I will post details to the private test server here when I feel I have something more finished.
I am not trying to steal Soldat's flair, and am not selling this, this is just as described - an intellectual exercise in game design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63T7nLaXbh8

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
Re: Soldat in 3D? - an intellectual exercise in game design
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 08:07:48 pm »
Dude that's fucking awesome!

So you implemented netcode/etc so this is perfectly usable? You should totally advertise this and build a community around it. Get it on steam.
There are other worlds than these

Offline 2sneaky

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:39:36 pm »
Dude that's fucking awesome!

So you implemented netcode/etc so this is perfectly usable? You should totally advertise this and build a community around it. Get it on steam.

Hello jrgp, thanks for the positive response :) yes at present its a fully networked functional client/server multiplayer game with a levelling system, shop with playermodels, trails, hats, accesories, drops and crates system, jukebox with player suggestible tracks, player tracking/ranking system with player of the week, and anticheat. Actually its my Garrysmod Surf Deathmatch gamemode/server Ive been making/maintaining over the last few years with third person enabled, the camera view set at 90 degrees, client/server movement restricted on the y axis, new maps, and the mouse control hacks. We've spent quite a few hours sessioning it and its solid apart from the issues that still need to be fixed due to the way I have had to hack the menu control system onto the game. Until now its been a private thing with a few friends; I think I may well release a playable version but the dilemma that befalls me now is that I am already hitting limitations with the amount of of lua I have used to take it this far, and the game will constantly be battling against the evil forces of the next gmod update.. Now I know its possible I am tempted to make the whole game again from scratch in Unreal4... It would be amazing to see the spirit of Soldat carried forth into the next gen would it not?

If you are interested in having a go with the engine in its current state I would be happy to give you access to the test server, add me on steam: STEAM_0:1:6032197
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 10:49:02 pm by 2sneaky »

Offline 2sneaky

• Major(1)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »
update: I have decided to make a client/server multiplayer full 3d version of this in Unreal4, with an end goal of procedurally generated streaming levels and cross-platform pc/xbox/ps4/ios/android multiplayer.
This will take a lot of development but I believe it could well keep the spirit of the brutal 2d shooter we love alive into the next generation. If there are any C++ developers preferably with experience with unity/unreal engine, modellers, mappers etc who would also like to see this happen I would love to talk to you, add me on steam with my ID I posted above if you like.
Regards,
Sneaky

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 12:23:06 pm »
player ranking + anticheat...

im hooked =D hope you get the ball rolling good luck!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat