Author Topic: ctf_Confound  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
ctf_Confound
« on: June 25, 2015, 08:19:25 pm »
I obviously haven't played Soldat in forever. My right mouse button is being screwy so it was hard to test the movement on this map. But regardless, what of it? I know it lacks the nice jet-friendly curves in the poly structure. I had the idea for the OPC polygon placement and kind of worked the map around that.

The OPC polygons are the blue ones.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: ctf_Confound
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:48:11 am »
The dimensions of it seam ok. Looks easy enough to get to upper and lower route aswell.
The blue ones are only player collide, wich means you can shoot through them and throw flag. Maybe you can think about the placement of your OPC polygons in thoughts of gameplay. I think it's good though

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:57:08 am »
Okay, I'll finish with scenery placement today. Thanks for the commendation.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:34:20 pm »
Small irregularity:

I can almost get stuck here:

Here too:

Texture and background is a bit booring.
Have you thought about what scenery is background and not? I play with 'Render background scenery' off
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:49:35 pm by homerofgods »

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:04:01 pm »
Judging from the screenshots above you have pixelated the texture, try CTRL+A > CTRL+F to fix the texture resolution (not 100% sure - it might be homer's soldat resolution). It will break the mirrored texture effect aswell - another reson to do so. Also you have some obstacles placed here and there, but they seem out of place due to the flat surfaces everywhere, you should give them some love, because their curvy structure breaks the sharp, stright look you have achieved with the rest of the map. Also I think it lacks good shading across the map - I mean the indicator which parts are the shadowed ones.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:20:00 pm »
Judging from the screenshots above you have pixelated the texture, try CTRL+A > CTRL+F to fix the texture resolution (not 100% sure - it might be homer's soldat resolution).

Nah, it's just the ancient wall texture.

Also you have some obstacles placed here and there, but they seem out of place due to the flat surfaces everywhere, you should give them some love, because their curvy structure breaks the sharp, stright look you have achieved with the rest of the map.

What do you mean?

Also I think it lacks good shading across the map - I mean the indicator which parts are the shadowed ones.

Indicator?

Thanks for the commentary; really helps.

Btw, map uploaded to here. I may have fixed the sticking points homerofgod pointed out (overlapped the polys), and attended to the irregularity (in the map, didn't update screencap).

Oh, should I have kill polys on the top of the map?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:22:10 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:59:44 pm »
Ye, I was talking about the six (3 for both sides) gold obstacles on the outer top border of the map. As for the "indicator" I'll try to give you an example in a second.

Deadly polygons seems like the easiest way i guess.

@Edit: This is what i meant pretty much: http://imgur.com/WUaUdUp (forgot to shade the bottom bridge, but whatever). In your everything is so bright and i think it looses some depth, especially with kind of light BG.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 02:12:37 pm by Viral »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 02:35:57 pm »
Ye, I was talking about the six (3 for both sides) gold obstacles on the outer top border of the map. As for the "indicator" I'll try to give you an example in a second.

I'll think about what to do with those when I get back to my desktop... I kind of like them, but maybe I'll have a flash of inspiration. Thanks though :).

@Edit: This is what i meant pretty much: http://imgur.com/WUaUdUp (forgot to shade the bottom bridge, but whatever). In your everything is so bright and i think it looses some depth, especially with kind of light BG.

Yeah, I figured the easiest way to focus on the surrounding combat visually was to leave it a little bright. If I had some of the cool polystructure that some of the arena maps have, I'd do texture stretching and coloring, but I guess I'm finicky and wanted it like that. If you think it'd add to the ease of visibility, I could take a second gander... though I still really like the plain flat and colorful-ish look. Sorry D:

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 05:19:42 pm »
Two tutorials on how to make your own texture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMCzL6jrQk&index=2&list=FLnsUTnf68yG6CNGRCy6Q6ig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qbtybwo3XZc&list=FLnsUTnf68yG6CNGRCy6Q6ig&index=1

The ancient wall texture is not so bad but you can make your map even cooler if you learn how to make one yourself, it's not that hard.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:21:58 pm by homerofgods »