Author Topic: Devlog update (2015-07-25) New gui theme, urraka joins team, landing page mockup  (Read 13664 times)

Offline Zakumy

• Major(1)
  • Soldat! Soldat! Soldat!
Good to see u guys are back, god it's been so long.
The new UI is flat-design inspired tho, I like it. ;D
My love to Soldat is eternal, forever and always

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
daed gaem?
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
soldat is losing its path to light, needs its rewrite/port to newer tech,
its just being ducktaped ..

..in a world where game engines as Unreal and Unity have become free and indie games whit graphics
..that are so far from here, would take to the moon and back...

i would support rewrite.. just affraid that could be too much effort.. what gives .. go open source

i mean how could you find light, if you are here, it means that path of light is blocked, the link to the past,
you have to return back to the Source. Change the essence of what the soldat is ,  spark the life of light.

Spark the life of light!

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
soldat is losing its path to light, needs its rewrite/port to newer tech,
its just being ducktaped ..

..in a world where game engines as Unreal and Unity have become free and indie games whit graphics
..that are so far from here, would take to the moon and back...

i would support rewrite.. just affraid that could be too much effort.. what gives .. go open source

i mean how could you find light, if you are here, it means that path of light is blocked, the link to the past,
you have to return back to the Source. Change the essence of what the soldat is ,  spark the life of light.

Spark the life of light!
Got a little corny with that metaphor at the end, but agree 100%.

Go open source. That's all y'all need to do.

After, someone is bound to rewrite/port to a more modern code/engine and give this game a breath of life (and maybe put it on Steam).

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
I don't see how open source would make any difference. If someone is genuinly interrested in improving soldat they can just ask Shoozza and start working.

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
There is difference..this game belongs to MM.
You are asking that we should put our highest efforts developing game for him,
 if we talk about something more that "just improving".

Open source atleast protects you work.

idk, i see problem in people.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
Like Shoozza has explained many times in the past - Soldat can't be open sourced until the code gets cleaned from some proprietary libraries it uses. So at the moment we need developers who want to work on that.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
So..thats it..i believe i should PM Shoozza.  ::)

Offline nouefexe

• Major(1)
Like Shoozza has explained many times in the past - Soldat can't be open sourced until the code gets cleaned from some proprietary libraries it uses. So at the moment we need developers who want to work on that.
that does not make sense ! MM's libraries ? how cant u release your own proprietary libraries?

DarkCrusade

He used commercial libraries not his own. Pretty simple

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
He used commercial libraries not his own. Pretty simple

I call bullshit a little bit on this claim.

Propriety libraries don't mean shit if the rest of Soldat's code is released under public domain or a non restrictive license such as BSD.

It isn't like Shoozza would be leaking the sources to the proprietary libraries; Soldat is just linking to them.

Personally, I'd love to see Soldat put up on GitHub along with working build instructions.That way anyone can pick it up and submit pull requests. Having Shoozza and his team of inactive devs be the bottleneck isn't ideal.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 04:12:48 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
Whit parts that is "yours" you can do whatever you want.

You could simply  release code not including libraries themselves.
Even if there is some licensed proprietary code in soldat code base itself,
you could simply delete it, replace whit empty placeholder and put description on it.
..and continue work from there, when is open source.

In case if the goal was to not wait any longer and publish code.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 06:02:47 am by aint`bazz »

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
Yes just get it on github already
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Shoozza

• Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
We are very open when it comes to people joining the dev team and helping us.
If you want to help you can. We help you to setup the everything you need to start.
I did this several times for jrgp for example.

I don't want to open source soldat at this point as would harm our players, we already have issues with cheaters and this would make it even worse.

* It would make it easier for Hack developers to write cheats.
* We don't have an anticheat so people could modify soldats code and implement their own cheats.
* Netcode changes are required to avoid packet based cheats.
* Someone could build malicious versions of the game and distribute them (happened to Paint.Net that's why it is closed source again).
* Someone could try to sell the game on app stores (happened to wolfire games http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/02/Counterfeit-Lugaru-on-Apple-s-App-Store-developing).

Some of the commercial library part is already resolved. You have to remove a few hundred lines of code in several files and it would compile with missing features.
Releasing a non working build is sub optimal. You don't want to burn potential contributors like that.
It is unnecessary work to have two versions of the game in two repositories which you need to sync.
That's why you want to replace or wrap all the commercial libraries.

That said Github is no magic bullet. You need exposure as well. People who really care are already part of the team.

I understand that people are unhappy with the progress and I'll have to get stuff moving again.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 08:48:11 am by Shoozza »
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline aint`bazz

• Major(1)
Just arguing....

paint.net story seems to be about is credit stealing ,
author got sick than others try to misrepresent his work , and thats 2007!
(http://blog.getpaint.net/2007/12/04/freeware-authors-beware-of-%E2%80%9Cbackspaceware%E2%80%9D/)

about wolfire.. it was good opportunity for thiefs  as they could sold cheaper alternative,,
 in this case it would be free anyway...why bother for low chances to earn

well funny enough the author on same page says

How could releasing the source code affect your game in any way but positively?

haha

just arguing...

Ehhh..feels like i turn spirits down...maybe i just argue too much.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:28:22 am by aint`bazz »