Author Topic: smoothely-smooth-smooth textures  (Read 6086 times)

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: smoothely-smooth-smooth textures
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2016, 07:51:14 am »
I'll be happy to explore this with daaw for later. Looks very promising. Even on the 720p screenshot it looks fine. So no issue here.

Offline Viral

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • 123 hi
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:29 am »
IMO it looks bad in comparison to the non-filter one. It just looks blury, not cartoonish :/

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 08:05:34 am »
I'll be happy to explore this with daaw for later. Looks very promising. Even on the 720p screenshot it looks fine. So no issue here.
We can just go back to 169 if you like that blurry ugly textures.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 08:23:59 am »
Ok. It doesn't look that great on the 720p screenshot.

Looks pretty nice on my 1440p monitor though. And could be a potential time efficient way to homogenize the graphic style. It's worth exploring.

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2016, 09:13:23 am »
okey... it has potential...and yes in some case it's too blurry...

i did like combine this filter + overlay on top with high-pass photoshop filter ...which way again was filtered whit this filter

.. filter filter

need to more "research" yes..

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 10:46:07 am »
Well if this is way you want to push soldat, I dont see the reason why to prepare current higher res sceneries, because if you would like to apply this filter(that for me is still nothing more than selective blur) you would need to prepare every scenery to fit this cartoonish look.

And in my personal opinion I have no idea why you even consider this for future of soldat, and want to check it later, because not only its depend too much on huge res to see any changes, it just still do nothing more than oil paint effect.
Even if I play at full screen at 1080p its still nothing more than blurry effect.

And I think Im not alone with such opinion and others would not like to see or even play with such style. Its nice mod for someone but not for default game.

Offline CCalp

• Global Moderator
  • Soldier
  • calp (SN)
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 12:23:01 pm »
IMO it looks bad in comparison to the non-filter one. It just looks blury, not cartoonish :/

I agree.

However, I really like the way Ash looks like (filter only applied to texture, not to sceneries). So it might be worth to go further into this when time has come...

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2016, 12:47:11 pm »
stop wasting your time on that. If you really want to make soldat look well and cartoonish then you should try to polish this to the new HD standards.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »
Please..download texture pack ..dont judge by screens..

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=44180.0;attach=32324

i mean ill try make less blury..whit ascented edges...or smth

Current HD one are far form ideal..this is almost step forward.

I want make current ones look less odd.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 01:39:21 pm »
That's what I was about to ask too: Have you actually tried the textures from the first post for yourself, darDar?
The one screenshot Akinaro posted shows only one map where the difference is not so big. The textures actually shine in other maps.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 03:05:57 pm »
So we have:
Textures that are good only at few maps.
Filter that its too depend on hug resolution to actually see difference.
Sceneries that with too many filter look like blurred 1.6 graphic, and with small amount of it look the same.
We have only few people that actually like it, but they are a bit biased because they want cartoonish look at first place.
We have old but WAY better idea like darDar post but for some people it's better to play with new average filter.

We can play with this filter and if we try to use it as default we probably lost most of players that even without it run away from soldat.
Or we could finally remake maps(or choose ones that are remade from forum and polish then a bit) and after that we would have good looking game that would not need such filters.
Because only reason why we even talk about it is because we still have 10 years old maps look on high res screen.

If we would have good looking maps we would not need filters that are made just to hide ugliness of some part of game.
And yes I'm biased towards more realistic look than another candy cartoonish game :]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 03:08:52 pm by Akinaro »

Offline %%%%%%%

• Soldier
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 03:40:37 pm »
daaw, continue to work on it if you want.
Let us see what it looks like when the entire map's textures and sceneries are filtered but not blurry.

Until then, no use in talking about whether it can be the default look.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 04:30:37 am »
the textures do look somewhat blurry in-game (probably because of stretching) and the stylish effect from the filter isn't really noticeable on most of them because of this. The ctf_Ash texture does look nice though, probably because of the nice contrast created by the cracks which makes the filter work well. On most other textures it just makes them less detailed, so just running them through this particular filter won't do much good. You can probably still make something nice with a combination of other carefully picked filters.

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with current realistic textures. I actually like how detailed and fuzzy some of them feel (ctf_Hormone is absolutely lovely for example). But that's beside the point.

IMO current "art style" (or lack thereof) works better for something as community-driven as Soldat. It's very neutral. This means it's easier for mappers to create custom assets and mix them with default ones without making different styles clash. This lets mappers without great artistic skills to still create decent-looking maps. And yet at the same time there's also plenty of room to get creative and come up with something of your own even while using default assets. Soldat's art style comes not just from textures and sceneries, but also from different shading, coloring and texturing techniques and other creative tricks. Simply changing textures and sceneries won't necessarily create an art style, but will also raise the bar for other mappers who will have to adhere to that default art style if they want to add custom assets and make them look consistent.

Don't worry about trying to give Soldat some kind of art style. Most of Soldat's visuals is the maps, and the art style of maps should be left up to the mappers. What devs can do on their part is add some nice effects like proper polygon edges, better lighting or something like that that will affect all maps equally.

That said, there's nothing wrong with making a custom texture mod either. If you want to give Soldat a new look - go for it, I'm sure some players will still appreciate it as a mod. (As long as it's a good mod of course).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:43:22 am by Furai »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 05:22:44 am »
Stop derailing threads. Cleaned up a bit.

Good job daaw.

"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline daaw

• Major
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:05 am »
noo...i missed ..what it said..was late on partey

well..eventualy made better variants of current textures ..less noisy..commited

also Fuc k u you darDar, this is second time you bust out on me.. i dont even know you..we never talk on irc

k bye

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2016, 02:28:35 pm »
Yeah fuck you dardar stupid grammer nazi go watch your blinkenlichten!

cheeseman fights the bullies! Hes the people's champ!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:30:28 pm by CheeSeMan. »
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat