Author Topic: Soldat, FPS vs other games, resolution, RIP? etc  (Read 3493 times)

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Soldat, FPS vs other games, resolution, RIP? etc
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:18 pm »
I can notice almost each frame change in Soldat and I got 100 ~ 140 fps. I feel my movement so slow, I can't run like in the golden age (1.2.1 etc).
But... I play CSGO with 400 fps, smooth and fast as fuck and I can't notice frame changes.

WHY I can't get a lot of FPS in Soldat if the game is lighter than CSGO and why I notice frame by frame when I'm running (and JUMPING. this is very noticeable when I'm falling)?

I don't know the reason, that's why I'm asking. But I'm sure that this is what you should fix to improve Soldat. The other thing is the streched resolution issue, 23" screen with 640x480 is COMIC for a game nowadays.

Fix those two things and bring back Soldat to lots of people.
+ fix interfaces (and their screen positioning that is weird a.f. too)
+ fix the maps (laos with the first version since 150 BC, lol)

... THEN start fixing other useless stuff. stop fixing/creating scripts and BLA BLA BLA.

Why I am posting this? I would love to help and see this game alive. That's the last vestige of hope in my heart.
I tried to create a mockup for a gui even being a bad designer and what happened? Nothing yet. I can't do the final product, I have no skills. I gave you the idea. I tried to fix DM/TM maps even being a bad map maker...
We lost good map makers that were available to fix all the maps, create new ones. The same for designers.
What you did? Nothing. I really don't know what you think about this game.  L[one]r still here and was available to help, what you did? You said: Oh dude, we can't use maps with png, the same for VirtualTT (how you lost this guy?! damn!). You feed the lovers with an unreal horizon, "updates", "versions", "fixes", nothing after nothing.
Why no map contests to replace some maps or other things? "Guys, we gonna put your work inside the game, help us to deliver a better game." Too difficult to think? To start? :x Or the game is awesome for you? There's no problems even with the game death pit right there, front of us...

Time to wake up (too late tbh, but...) or let the game die (:'( ), SERIOUSLY.
There's a lot of soldat lovers to help, sctfl still alive. The number of these players is decreasing each year and you devs keep fixing nothing (little things that doesnt change ANYTHING).
Or give us the word that you don't care about the game and are using your dev skills to learn something using an almost dead game (I have this last sentence in my mind for 5 years. Are you just a guy studing coding and testing things in soldat? I can't see a game development HERE).

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:33:47 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Soldat, FPS vs other games, resolution, RIP? etc
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:10:22 pm »
I really hope the development will at least crawl far enough to get Soldat to v1.7 and on Steam. I feel like a proper Steam release (or even Early Access) is what Soldat really needs to get a second wind.

Kind of how they did with Subspace which was originally released in 1994, and recently re-released on Steam as Subspace Continuum as a free-to-play. Admittedly the game only has 50-60 players every day on average, but considering the unintuitive UI, lack of single player practise mode, and the fact that it's a game from 1994 - it's not too bad. Soldat certainly has better chances.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:27:16 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 03:16:35 am »

Hi duz,

To clarify:

I can notice almost each frame change in Soldat and I got 100 ~ 140 fps. I feel my movement so slow, I can't run like in the golden age (1.2.1 etc).
But... I play CSGO with 400 fps, smooth and fast as fuck and I can't notice frame changes.

WHY I can't get a lot of FPS in Soldat if the game is lighter than CSGO and why I notice frame by frame when I'm running (and JUMPING. this is very noticeable when I'm falling)?

I don't know the reason, that's why I'm asking. But I'm sure that this is what you should fix to improve Soldat. The other thing is the streched resolution issue, 23" screen with 640x480 is COMIC for a game nowadays.

The devs are aware of those issues and are working on resolving them in Soldat 1.7

L[one]r still here and was available to help, what you did? You said: Oh dude, we can't use maps with png, the same for VirtualTT (how you lost this guy?! damn!).

Little update:

You can make use of transparent .png for default maps. I and the rest of the mapping team have no issue with it. :)

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 02:59:24 pm »
that pretty much sums it up Duz, either give up or go big devs!
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Ussocom

• Major(1)
  • Dat Usso
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 07:33:56 pm »

Fix those two things and bring back Soldat to lots of people.
+ fix interfaces (and their screen positioning that is weird a.f. too)
+ fix the maps (laos with the first version since 150 BC, lol)

... THEN start fixing other useless stuff. stop fixing/creating scripts and BLA BLA BLA.

Why I am posting this? I would love to help and see this game alive. That's the last vestige of hope in my heart.
I tried to create a mockup for a gui even being a bad designer and what happened? Nothing yet. I can't do the final product, I have no skills. I gave you the idea. I tried to fix DM/TM maps even being a bad map maker...
We lost good map makers that were available to fix all the maps, create new ones. The same for designers.
What you did? Nothing. I really don't know what you think about this game.  L[one]r still here and was available to help, what you did? You said: Oh dude, we can't use maps with png, the same for VirtualTT (how you lost this guy?! damn!). You feed the lovers with an unreal horizon, "updates", "versions", "fixes", nothing after nothing.
Why no map contests to replace some maps or other things? "Guys, we gonna put your work inside the game, help us to deliver a better game." Too difficult to think? To start? :x Or the game is awesome for you? There's no problems even with the game death pit right there, front of us...

Time to wake up (too late tbh, but...) or let the game die (:'( ), SERIOUSLY.
There's a lot of soldat lovers to help, sctfl still alive. The number of these players is decreasing each year and you devs keep fixing nothing (little things that doesnt change ANYTHING).
Or give us the word that you don't care about the game and are using your dev skills to learn something using an almost dead game (I have this last sentence in my mind for 5 years. Are you just a guy studing coding and testing things in soldat? I can't see a game development HERE).

10/10 well said.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 04:35:01 pm »
0/10. Fuck off.

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 03:00:21 pm »
Those two look like two guys who used to live close to where I live. Are they coming home?

Offline deguix

• Major
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 02:35:30 am »
Kind of how they did with Subspace which was originally released in 1994, and recently re-released on Steam as Subspace Continuum as a free-to-play. Admittedly the game only has 50-60 players every day on average, but considering the unintuitive UI, lack of single player practise mode, and the fact that it's a game from 1994 - it's not too bad. Soldat certainly has better chances.
I've been looking for that game for so many years... I couldn't remember its name ever. The only thing I remember is playing it in offline mode because I had no internet back then, and I couldn't speak English either, so I didn't understand about the online mode either.

Now back to topic: Well, I used to have a very old pentium 166 mmx, 16 mb ram computer. Soldat could run on it, but the FPS was at 1 frame per 8 or more seconds (I think it was like version 0.92 or something), while Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 had much more fps. I know RCT was made in assembly, but still, I was expecting at least 1 fps from Soldat. Then again, at that time, most other newer games from that time couldn't even run or ran as slow as Soldat.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 02:41:47 am by deguix »

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 04:15:42 pm »
I'm sorry that I didn't think of this before but it seems I should be putting myself:

"FUCK OFF!"

Was that it?

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 05:11:18 am »
I really hope the development will at least crawl far enough to get Soldat to v1.7 and on Steam. I feel like a proper Steam release (or even Early Access) is what Soldat really needs to get a second wind.

i hope that yours "i really hope" is just an overstatment, cuz no1 can really hope that soldat goes off on Steam, just saying

btw i heard that trenchrun from transhuman (MM) is quite enjoyable
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:18:46 am by biohazard »