Author Topic: Journey to time of baby Soldat  (Read 2166 times)

Offline MrHamsTR

• Soldier
  • One day, everything will end..
Journey to time of baby Soldat
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:03:20 am »
"0.9.4b - first public beta (09.05.2002)
- 7 maps
- 2 game modes : Deathmatch & Pointmatch"

So sweet that somebody's decided to make this game. And we are here with 7 sweet maps and 2 game modes :3

"1.4.2 (11.08.2007)"

My favourite version ever. 2007, I was 11~12, we've been playing zrpg with whole players from anywhere!
One day if I remember right there was Shoozza knife only, I made a spree with 47 kills. If they kept the logs, I would want to see its log again :3

And now, no many people, no much funny moments, we are the generation who kept this game alive but there could be still new players, new 11-12 years old children, I wish they came and I would teach them all modes. Especially zrpg :3

Yeah, it is weird talking about a 2D game for someone but they don't know these crew, and won't be known from us.
Maybe new 3D games blocked us but I don't know it shouldn't be that easy..
It is hard to tell and believe too but Soldat is killing.
I wish my friends (who from 2007) saw that we are going to release HD graphics, HD shining bald boogieman zombie under the sun :<

Share with us some sweet memories from this immortal game..
Is there anybody can write script?
Good, go and play soldat ^^

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
Re: Journey to time of baby Soldat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:12:32 pm »
3D games are not "blocking us". Soldat is blocking Soldat. The game have to adapt. It's not just about the resolution thing (the biggest step), it's about the textures, the weird HUDs, all the ugly menus, fonts etc.
This game could be easily added to the Steam and grab A LOT of players. But not now, this game is ugly for the new generation and to be honest, for some old players too. I'm playing since 2002/2003 and I can't see these ugly menus, huds and some old maps (Arena etc were NEVER touched wtf) anymore. I feel uncomfortable to encourage people to play Soldat today, that's it.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 01:02:31 pm »
3D games are not "blocking us". Soldat is blocking Soldat. The game have to adapt. It's not just about the resolution thing (the biggest step), it's about the textures, the weird HUDs, all the ugly menus, fonts etc.
This game could be easily added to the Steam and grab A LOT of players. But not now, this game is ugly for the new generation and to be honest, for some old players too. I'm playing since 2002/2003 and I can't see these ugly menus, huds and some old maps (Arena etc were NEVER touched wtf) anymore. I feel uncomfortable to encourage people to play Soldat today, that's it.

And for past few years everyone who actually wanted HELP to change that, or make suggestion was treated like enemy because he wanted to change look of CLASSIC soldat.
So many good maps, mods, weapons, ideas... and now when no one give a shit we see changes.
You just need to spend 10 minutes on suggestion section back to 2008-07 So many people had so many good ideas, repeated again, and again and again. And they actually wanted to make something and help it was not "just talking"
I found even post about calling zombie mod and knife only servers "stupid"(from 2007, have somewhere link), and we all know how people like those servers now :]
To be honest those old players mostly block soldat evolution because they doesnt want to change it, its their good old game after all.

On topic.
I started playing Soldat in 2004 when I was in hospital, 2 months of playing non stop:D
And after few years I loved INF back when people where not idiots and tread it like Team DM mode....

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 05:00:42 pm »
And for past few years everyone who actually wanted HELP to change that, or make suggestion was treated like enemy because he wanted to change look of CLASSIC soldat.
So many good maps, mods, weapons, ideas... and now when no one give a shit we see changes.
You just need to spend 10 minutes on suggestion section back to 2008-07 So many people had so many good ideas, repeated again, and again and again. And they actually wanted to make something and help it was not "just talking"
I found even post about calling zombie mod and knife only servers "stupid"(from 2007, have somewhere link), and we all know how people like those servers now :]
To be honest those old players mostly block soldat evolution because they doesnt want to change it, its their good old game after all.

On topic.
I started playing Soldat in 2004 when I was in hospital, 2 months of playing non stop:D
And after few years I loved INF back when people where not idiots and tread it like Team DM mode....

"Changing classic maps? NOOOOOOOOOOO, do not touch my classic game!" And here we are.
Tell me, how many awesome map makers we had here with free time to help?
Sometimes I think that Soldat needs a game designer instead of programmers only.
Someone that know what to do, that leads the dev team and embraces the community.

The game still have potential to even engender money to the devs but let destruct the product instead of do something with it.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:04:04 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 04:34:37 am »
You spend almost 99% time on map, so its need to look good, not like vomited polygon mass that only old players love because its remind them "good old days".

Compared to making map for half-life 2 or Enemy Territory, making map for soldat is like eating candy. For most of time making just textures and models for hl2 take me weeks, and we talk about 2d soldat game with small and simple sceneries...
For example maps for latest Quake3 mod for Rzal Server took me maybe 5-6 hours for each on. I spend more time walking with my dog...

And just like L[0ne]R did with weapons mod, you can just take older remakes made by someone else and polish them to make it better.
And you dont need to even move poligons so older player who play on memory(using map "bugs"/tricks) would not start screaming like little girl that you destroy something.
If there is some sort of map team, month or two and you can remade all maps even with 3-4 people, as far as they know what their doing.

Soldat have all needed integrates: atmosphere its perfect, its fast game for 10min play and 10hours play, it have bunch of stupid people that call your mom fat, just like any new game like call of duty or CS.
But it just lack good look, because thats what new people want.

Offline MrHamsTR

• Soldier
  • One day, everything will end..
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 12:27:14 pm »
going to have hd graphics, maybe 3D later but without players..
Need to ad. this game on forums or something like that.
In my opinion we need to talk about that, not maps or programming because there were many people past few years even without these graphics or development.
So, if they know/see this game by ads, we get victorious.
Is there anybody can write script?
Good, go and play soldat ^^

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 03:53:17 pm »
going to have hd graphics, maybe 3D later but without players..
Need to ad. this game on forums or something like that.
In my opinion we need to talk about that, not maps or programming because there were many people past few years even without these graphics or development.
So, if they know/see this game by ads, we get victorious.

To be honest I think that Soldat needs a rework on menus, hud, TM/DM maps and we are ready to reach the Steam and "get victorious".
They could also add options to receive some money. Like the "premium" being an annual package or something like that. I could easily spend some dollars per year.
Better than earning NOTHING.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
Awards

Offline Name

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 10:54:27 am »
Bring back 2009.