Author Topic: ctf_Mayapan & ctf_Laos 1.7.0  (Read 5530 times)

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
ctf_Mayapan & ctf_Laos 1.7.0
« on: November 21, 2015, 05:30:18 am »
---
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:09:14 pm by Akinaro »

Offline Savage

• Soldier
Re: ctf_Mayapan & ctf_Laos 1.7.0
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 06:54:43 am »
GJ mate, it's awesome.

PS I have annoying outline on some maps:

ctf_Mayapan_remake_v2

ctf_Cobra

ctf_Ash

ctf_Division

ctf_Division(fresh remake by Viral) is OK, where's the problem?

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 07:08:20 am »
Looks like something wrong with edges of textures. I didnt used any on my maps.

And I dont have such problem with rest of maps (like eg ctf_Cobra on top)

Hard to tell what is causing it... maybe some option in soldat setting or specific hardware configuration.

I tested 1.7.0 on two computers and never saw that before.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 07:23:52 am »

PS I have annoying outline on some maps:

Uncheck this:

edit: fixed wrong option
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:36:50 am by Bistoufly »

Offline Savage

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:51:11 am »
Thx, it's working now :) Btw it's worst option ever - I was always disabling it on previous versions cause it was causing freezes. I thought it's gonna be fixed in 1.7.0 but now with other issue :P

Offline urraka

• Soldat Developer
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 10:10:59 am »
They look really good man, good work.

Those edges look like crap on some maps. I'm not sure what to do with them. I'll probably remove the fallback to default edge texture at least, which is what I think is happening there.
urraka

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 11:47:55 am »
Great-looking remakes of butt-ugly old maps, nice job. I see you're getting better with texture optimisation too by using a smaller texture atlas, it's looking a lot more reasonable now.

Unfortunately the problem with that method becomes clear in v1.7.0a2 - your texture looks blurry and upscaled on my 1080p screen and is not as sharp as the HD textures in 1.7.0a2 (compare the sharpness of the original laos texture for example). It'll look even worse on 4k resolutions which is what we're aiming for with HD graphics. Sceneries look good, but you can always go a bit higher-res if you want now that Soldat properly supports it.

Aesthetic-wise it looks fantastic as always though.

*note: there's currently an issue with resolution and texture filters in Soldat 1.7.0 which makes everything look blurrier than it should be, so you should use Anisotropic filtering to see full quality.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:13:45 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 12:14:37 pm »
And as I mentioned its not proper HD remake.

Those are old maps for 1.6.x, and just like textures, they have almost 2 years, beside indexing colors to 200 instead of 96 they are just like I made them back then.

Method like method, It just give me more freedom to make map and not using too much polygons or spending weeks on stitching one texture for every polygon. Soldat even on 1.6.7 didnt had problem with that huge textures. I didnt use them just to fit in 2mb size limit.
And because as I said I have original graphic and hi res sceneries, It would be easy to make them looking good at hi res screens.

But Im not gonna make any maps or even touch other remakes.
I posted those maps because they just look cool on 1.7.0 :D Blurry or not It was fun to see them working good on this version.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 12:27:10 pm »
A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
The devs should come here and say: hey, don't stop, we gonna use your remakes. Otherwise it would be stupidity.

Laos Looks.........  :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:19:56 pm by duz »
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 12:19:08 pm »

But I need to quote him:
With such an attitude all my maps can be considered a wasted effort. :\

That why I never actually consider my maps to be default. No one care, especially players.

Fantastic job taking that quote out of context. The "attitude" he was referring to is this comment:

Overview would've been nice, but yeah. Another awesome remake.
Any hopes of seeing this replace the default one? Otherwise it'll probably be a wasted effort. :/

The map actually got a lot of support and players wanted it to be default - the exact opposite of what you seem to claim. The reason it didn't make it into default map pool is likely because of draconian requirements back then, one of them being that .png sceneries weren't allowed (and this map had them). Old mapping team also didn't communicate much, which certainly didn't help. Players aren't the problem here like you seem to make it out to be.

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
Well I knew that you would stick to this part :]

Like always some forum users are best at pointing out something that is just not important in overall context.

And now, you know, you can write why not and why yes.

There was loots of time to fix that problems of "why map could not be default" and there where loots of people that would help with maps. But that was back then.
Now there is probably less than 150 active players, and no one care about it. Just like I dont care about about default maps.... So you know...

PS. Also Its not like I take that quote without checking his opinion and opinions of other people. I very often check random thread(funny stuff you can find) and this "out of context" is very common and this part just sum it up pretty good :]

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:43 pm »
Come on, Akinaro. You've had the chance to return to the forum and be a better man. You blew it. You have a habit of complaining about simply everything, and once someone steps in and states they disagree, you go nuts on them. That's not how a healthy community works, and certainly does not go well with your hope for a big Soldat community altogether. Maybe you should reconsider, think back a year and -  this time  - ask yourself  if you're not the reason why people disapproved your overall attitude so much. ;)

tl;dr: I have always been a fan of your maps. Some of them are quite rushed and rough, but most of them are very well developed ones that I'd love to see in Soldat. But Jesus Christ, watch your mouth man.

Offline soldat-game

• Camper
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 02:14:34 pm »
Come on, Akinaro. You've had the chance to return to the forum and be a better man. You blew it. You have a habit of complaining about simply everything, and once someone steps in and states they disagree, you go nuts on them. That's not how a healthy community works, and certainly does not go well with your hope for a big Soldat community altogether. Maybe you should reconsider, think back a year and -  this time  - ask yourself  if you're not the reason why people disapproved your overall attitude so much. ;)

tl;dr: I have always been a fan of your maps. Some of them are quite rushed and rough, but most of them are very well developed ones that I'd love to see in Soldat. But Jesus Christ, watch your mouth man.
But you have a habit of complaining about complaining about others.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 02:39:33 pm »
The question is: Where's the person that could say the magical words?
Different of some other awesome map makers, Akinaro is still here.

Who's leading? Post here that he should work on HD gfx and send devs the map!
I don't know why this conversation, bla bla bla... What a waste of words.
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards

DarkCrusade

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 04:44:35 pm »
But you have a habit of complaining about complaining about others.

I am your friendly neighbourhood smartass. What can I say. :P

Offline Akinaro

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 04:21:23 am »
Its funny that both of you always are here to... NOT complain to about topic... but about person that make that topic.
Im a dick, yes, I realize that(seriously). But isnt that funny that ONLY YOU TWO have problem with my opinion? Isnt that funny? :D

My point that you dont get is that for past few years we could have better looking maps. But no one take care of it.
We dont need HD to have them, all was here, and we just needed to make them.

You mention "draconian requirements", of not using PNG... Jesus Christ... I knew about that but only I see that most hilarious thing, and instead of complaining about it, you complain about me... complaining about it(I know, its complicated xD )

Its not my fault that literally some old idiots where running map team. And probably because of them Soldat is where it is.

PNG was not a problem, its, sorry for that, bullshit. People used such files, maps and no one have problems with that. Problem was with people behind this that just didnt want changes, or wanted small ones that no one was interested.

And as Duz said, You LOVE to talk, seriously some people here love to talk, mentioning old topics and complain. But when someone came and make something ready to use... you talk again and... complain.

I knew that by posting this its gonna draw your attention, but who care about that. As I mentioned there is probably 150 active players right now, half of them dont even know about this forum, and rest of this half dont come here. So only you are still here... and devs, but devs are busy working on nev version so we are here complaining about complaining of other complaining :]

Also PS. This Topic sums up overall situation of maps in soldat... and to be more funny(again) I didnt even comment there :]
http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=43896.0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 08:13:07 am by Akinaro »